PDA

View Full Version : Animals with un-naturally good hearing

Evaine
05-02-2007, 11:18 PM
My brain is not co-operating, and I need help, please - I need the name of a European animal with exceptionally good hearing.
You can have "eyes like a hawk" - but what can you have ears like?

scarletpeaches
05-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Hearing like a bat.

Maryn
05-03-2007, 12:09 AM
I second bats and add rabbits, weasels, ferrets, and other nocturnal mammals which do not have keen senses of vision, smell, or echolocation but rely on sound detection to know they're in danger or where to find food.

Remember, too, that the range of sounds many animals detect is much broaders than that which humans can detect. By that standard dogs, cats, wolves, foxes, bobcats, etc. all have 'good hearing.'

Maryn, hoping this is helpful

Evaine
05-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Thanks!
I thought bat at first, too, but it didn't seem to fit quite right - and then I drew a blank.
Bearing in mind the type of character I'm describing, I think I'll go for "ears like a hunting cat".

alleycat
05-03-2007, 01:44 PM
My first thought was dogs. I saw something the other day about a dog being able to hear a sound at three miles that a human could only hear at one mile.

Owls hunts by hearing.

Willowmound
05-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Owls have fantastic hearing. You know the eye-shape? That's actually a sound funnel. They can hear mice tip-toe in the grass.

Of course mice tip-toe!

smallthunder
05-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Owls have fantastic hearing. You know the eye-shape? That's actually a sound funnel. They can hear mice tip-toe in the grass.

Of course mice tip-toe!

Not only in the grass, but through the tulips ...

[sorry, couldn't resist]