Animals with un-naturally good hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
My brain is not co-operating, and I need help, please - I need the name of a European animal with exceptionally good hearing.
You can have "eyes like a hawk" - but what can you have ears like?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I second bats and add rabbits, weasels, ferrets, and other nocturnal mammals which do not have keen senses of vision, smell, or echolocation but rely on sound detection to know they're in danger or where to find food.

Remember, too, that the range of sounds many animals detect is much broaders than that which humans can detect. By that standard dogs, cats, wolves, foxes, bobcats, etc. all have 'good hearing.'

Maryn, hoping this is helpful

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
Thanks!
I thought bat at first, too, but it didn't seem to fit quite right - and then I drew a blank.
Bearing in mind the type of character I'm describing, I think I'll go for "ears like a hunting cat".

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My first thought was dogs. I saw something the other day about a dog being able to hear a sound at three miles that a human could only hear at one mile.

Owls hunts by hearing.

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
Owls have fantastic hearing. You know the eye-shape? That's actually a sound funnel. They can hear mice tip-toe in the grass.

Of course mice tip-toe!

Status
Not open for further replies.