Another serious question

Status
Not open for further replies.

stardancer1

Hi, peoples. I have been writing erotica for months now and have just gotten to the point of thinking about publishing, although I have no finished or polished manuscripts yet. Anyone got any advice or plain know-how for me? I've read through some of the mechanics of getting stuff published, but as for actual publishers that accept the very steamy, I am fairly clueless. My stories start out as typical romantic and (sometimes just) sexual attraction, and go through the motions of a romance novel. They include many scenes of graphically depicted sex intermixed with the feelings being experience by the characters. I would even say, the whole of my stuff is leading up to the explicit sex scenes, if anything, although I feel the stuff in between is just as important to write.

Anyway, I don't want anyone thinking I am merely writing romance. Romance and sex are one in the same to me and, I love to recreate the tension and release... often.

I also noticed there is discussion on exactly what erotica is, and a new term to me: romantica. I still think erotica fits my stuff, but maybe mine is more romantica? I really need to read other erotica authors myself and would welcome recommendations there also. As I mentioned, I'm a babe in the woods right now on this stuff and would appreciate any comments and options I have to look at.

pepperlandgirl

resources

First, check out erotica-writers.com There are a lot of great links there for authors, ranging from calls for submissions to "how-to" articles. That should at least get you pointed in the right direction. Take some time to look over all the links and see if there are any publishers or websites that seem like a good fit for you.

veingloree

Re: resources

EW is great, and romantica (TM) is a phrase invented by Ellora's Cave so you should check them out too.

AprilBoo

resources

This is a standard advice, but check out anthologies - when I started writing erotica, I picked up the Mammoth Book of Best New Erotica (might not be the exact title) and just read through the stories to see what the sexual/emotional/romantic/non-sexual plot content was in stories that made it to publication.

stardancer1

Re: resources

Thanks for all the advice! I'll be running all over now. :snoopy

Status
Not open for further replies.