PDA

View Full Version : Are NVGs issued until deployment is over?

WishWords
05-01-2007, 09:15 PM
I know that in Iraq right now troops are issued their weapons and they keep them within reach all the time. What about Night Vision Goggles? Do they have those issued till they go home or do they have to check them out from the armory when they are needed?

Vanatru
05-01-2007, 11:30 PM
It's like any other piece of equipement. As you arrive in-country your issued you weapon pretty much as you leave the plan. Getting your ammo just after that. NVG are just one more thing. If your unit isssues it, you get it. When it's time to leave, or they withdrawl the equipment, you give it up.

WishWords
05-02-2007, 02:06 AM
Thanks. I saw the guys wearing them when they left base and came back, but wasn't sure if they had to turn them in between patrols.

dclary
05-02-2007, 02:50 AM
In general, you're going to have everything you need for your job with you (sans ammo, if I recall... that gets issued and policed after each operation) at all times -- because you never know when you'll need to be doing your job, on account of it being a war and all.

Vanatru
05-02-2007, 03:20 AM
Thanks. I saw the guys wearing them when they left base and came back, but wasn't sure if they had to turn them in between patrols.

Generally they'd keep their gear with them. Each soldier is responsible for whatever he/she/it is assigned. Some units require you to check things in and out as each mission calls for, but grunts and others will keep ALL their equipment with them. As Dclary said, ya never know when the insurgents or reporters are gonna attack.

So.........NVG will stay with the average soldier in many units.

I originally mis-read your question. I thought you meant if they get shipped out of the country.......heading back home. My bad.

WishWords
05-03-2007, 06:26 AM
Thank you, both of you. It's not an important point in my story, but it's one of those things someone would write to me and correct. I want to get it right.

I don't suppose you know how long it would take three soldiers to trudge two miles down a paved road when they are looking forward to exploring an oasis at night?

Vanatru
05-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Thank you, both of you. It's not an important point in my story, but it's one of those things someone would write to me and correct. I want to get it right.

I don't suppose you know how long it would take three soldiers to trudge two miles down a paved road when they are looking forward to exploring an oasis at night?

Hmmmmm.........how many insurgents are shooting at them? :)

Part of the answer will be determined by how much equipment they're lugging (light/medium/heavy). How quiet they want to be. The terrain type (hills/inclines/curves). Are known bad guys in the area? Do they have a time frame to complete the mission?

Otherwise I'd say 30 minutes to an hour.........depending on various factors.

WishWords
05-03-2007, 05:01 PM
LMAO! No, no, no, they aren't being chased. These guys are stationed at Al Asad, where there happens to be an oasis. When I was there the guys who never got to go out on patrol used to go out there at night to "play". They were officially practicing night maneuvers, but they were really just exploring and hunting wild dogs. These three guys have their weapons, NVGs, camel backs and that's about it. The road is paved and there isn't much going on other than the damn wind.

Little do they know what I have in store for them. Mwahaha.

Vanatru
05-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Sounds like an evil game master. :)

Wrap found around gernades and play catch with the dogs.