PDA

View Full Version : playboy submission

Leowriter
09-02-2004, 09:42 PM
Hi all,
Newby here.
Has anyone here ever had any luck in getting published in Playboy Magazine?
I have a full-length non-fiction article (4000-5000 wds) I'd like to try to pitch to them. I was wondering if anyone had any tips?
Leowriter

nolabohemian
09-03-2004, 04:07 AM
They are a big market. What type of stuff have you had published in the past? Do you have clips from magazines that rank close to them in size and standing? It's definitely not a market for new, freelance writers.

In addition, I think you may want to ask in the freelance section. You'll probably find someone there that has been published or tried to be published. This forum is mostly for erotica fiction.

A Pathetic Writer
09-03-2004, 05:22 AM
In order to maintain the illusion that people read it for "the articles" Playboy is VERY rigorous in their editorial policies regarding their fiction and nonfiction. Your chances of selling an article to them if you're not a "name" somewhere else are about the same as a girl with natural jugglies getting the centerfold.

Leowriter
09-03-2004, 10:48 AM
Thanks Nola and Pathetic,
I'll try posting on the freelance forum. Thanks for the suggestion. I would call my proposed article "non-fiction erotica"--if there is such a thing--which is why I posted here.

I'm aware that Playboy is a tough market and not one for the novice. I should have been more specific maybe--I'm a Newbie to these boards, but I do have about 15 years worth of credentials as a published writer. I've never tried submitting to Playboy--they don't fall in the genre of my usual writing (creative non-fiction) but I have a pretty fascinating print/photo documentary which, unfortunately, is limited to a real niche market. If I can pull it off, it it could work for Playboy. Playboy is my first choice because it's such a deliciously high paying market.
Leo

veingloree
09-03-2004, 02:30 PM
The Playboys I see don't have much erotic content to their articles, so there might be a better market for your piece? But then I haven't paid the big P much attention since their article quality slipped a decade or two ago ;) (some people actually did read it for the articles once!)

If you have other clips of a similar standard (for erotic publication or not) I would suggest sending a standard query letter to the most appropriate editor to see whether the topic is of interest to them. But it is not a market I know very much about.

A Pathetic Writer
09-03-2004, 03:53 PM
The best market I can think of for erotic non-fiction would be the HBO series Real Sex. I would contact the producers of that show, and see if they wouldn't be interested in filming a segment based on your article - rewritten as documentary script.