The brick and mortar bookstore is dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Apparently, nobody told Barnes & Noble. They are breaking ground on a new 30,000 square foot store just outside Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. It will be less than a 15 minute drive from my house and will make the nearby 10,000 square foot B&N on this side of the river look like a readers mini-mart.

Go ahead, feel the envy. :D

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would feel the envy, if B&N hadn't just recently finished building a brand new, twice-the-size-as-before store a mere 20 minutes from my house :D

Lots of big comfy chairs in this one, too.

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
Oh yeah, well we've got ... um ... okay, I got nothing but bookstore envy.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All the naysayers who predicted that Amazon and similar services were the death knell of brick-and-mortar stores didn't know doodly-squat, eh?

I don't buy a lot of books new, but I do browse and buy in a way that requires a physical store, no matter how many links and lists and also-boughts Amazon provides. The online seller is handy for the times I want something esoteric or out of print, but I still prefer visiting an actual store.

Maryn, who also loves independent booksellers

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hear ya - I'm a huge fan of Amazon when it comes to searching for things, but mostly from them I buy DVDs and things. I'll search them, write down titles and authors, then go to B&N to buy them. Nothing beats grabbing a bunch, sitting down in an overstuffed chair and giving them all a good looksee before picking what to buy :)

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
My nearest B&N is 30 minutes away...I'm still waiting for them to realize how how wonderfully commercial my little corner of the map could be if given a chance. (ok, that's a lie...I like my trees where they are. but the Bookland down the road just sucks.)
I am pea green with envy. :)

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
The nearest B&N here is also about thirty minutes away. I could get lost for hours in there. I need to pick a book up in my hands, thumb through it, think about it. Many times I'll just wander around, and buy a book that I wouldn't normally buy. Envy? Oh yeah. Big time. I'd even go for a good smaller book store, but around here the last one moved out a year or so ago.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
It looks like a nice plan. They will have a Starbuck's Cafe and library seating. Plus, the Great Escape 14 screen theater is being built right next door and a few restaurants to boot. You walk into the 'town square' and choose what you want to do first; eat dinner, buy your movie ticket, and/or browse the bookstore. They plan to be open until midnight and project to draw 2 million people to the mall the first year.

I.Can't.Wait. :D

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
It looks like a nice plan. They will have a Starbuck's Cafe and library seating. Plus, the Great Escape 14 screen theater is being built right next door and a few restaurants to boot. You walk into the 'town square' and choose what you want to do first; eat dinner, buy your movie ticket, and/or browse the bookstore. They plan to be open until midnight and project to draw 2 million people to the mall the first year.

I.Can't.Wait. :D

Sounds like what we have at the Promanade Shops at Saucon Valley I don't know how popular these "town square" things will be if we have a typical Pennsylvania winter (unlike this past winter). But it is beautiful.

And I have 3 Barnes and Nobels within 15 miles of my house.

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score
If the brick and mortar is dead, somebody tell me why there is ALWAYS a line at the local B&N and Borders...even with multiple cashiers.

I do worry for the smaller indy stores. I hope they're going to be okay.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
And now I know how Carrie feels...

Rllg you make me sick. The nearest B&N is an hour away. For some awful reason, the Evansville planners think that all business needs to be on the Eastside, and I live west of the westside. Stupid Newburgh <mumble, grumble>

Where was I? Oh yes! Enjoy your pretty store, Rllg. I'll just sit at home and think lovingly on my quarterly visits.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Dead

Dead? Might as well be, as far as our local city council is concerned. We've had two chances to get a B&N, and they screwed it up both times.

So it's a thirty mile drive for me, as well.

Akuma

Rare Writer Pokemon
Registered
Reaction score
B&N is 20 minutes from where I am.

One visit usually takes all my money--most for the books, some for the gas needed by my weak-bladdered car.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Hmmm.

Does one know how to go about persuading B&N to contemplate a location? I'm pretty sure there's a good market if they put one with the westside shops. I know I'd be there all the time.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
My B&N is about five minutes away, with lots of squishy chairs and a starbucks cafe thingy in it. I prefer amazon or indy sellers, honestly (some bad B&N experiences) but I DO love to browse, and will gladly spend hours wandering the store. And of course, I can't leave empty-handed!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

RT is gonna be broke in less than a month after the store opens. I oughta know. I live near both a Borders and a BN.

Status
Not open for further replies.