any Erotica writers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristydoll

Wow...this has been a quiet section of the board. Any Erotica writers out there?

kristy

JuliaManning

I'm an erotica writer, though fairly new to the genre. I will be included in an anthology due out from Echelon Press early next year. Also have a historical erotica novel featuring 'gentle mastery' with the same publisher, release date as yet undetermined.

Julia Manning

kristydoll

hi!

Nice to meet you Julia! Am glad to see someone out there *grins*...and congrats!!

kristy

Filmclipper

Re: hi!

Hi there, I'm a fledging erotic writer - male, 35, caucasian, from NYC. I am writing a series of short stories, narrated by an imaginary man. It's about his 3 seperate encounters with a mysterious woman. I originally wrote these stories for someone (a female) whom I met online. She was very enthusiastic about my writing ability, so I thought I'd re-write my stories, with an eye towards publication. Wish me luck, I'll need it! lol

crystanjustin

Erotica writers

Yes, I do claim "erotica writer" as one of my many titles. It is something I got into about six months ago and really enjoy. I am definitely interested in discussing the topic with other writers. :)
Oh, by the way, hi! I'm Crysta, I'm a newspaper editor, mother of three and freelance writer. And if you can fit that all into one sentence, you should be able to do it all in one day, right? ;)

kristydoll

Re: Erotica writers

Glad to see everyone coming out. I look forward to some good discussions soon!

kristy

<a href=http://www.kristydoll.com>kristydoll's BDSM Ezine</a>

Cowboysaremyweakness

Re: Erotica writers

I've written some slash, does that count? :D

Tes

sensualvenus

My name is Isabelle, I am writing erotica and I have just created my site, Sensual Venus www.sensualvenus.com with 2 other female writers a week ago.

Sensual Venus is a place for women erotica writers. Our aim is to offer women a place for their voice to be heard.

Have a look and participate! :)

Isabelle

live2write

toe in the water

I have written some pretty good stuff for my husband. Showed it to a few of my friends. They seemed to like it. Over the summer I helped my sister-in-law write a story to her husband. She told me she published it on the internet somewhere. The only thing that stops me from trying to sell the stuff is the fear that my boss would find out it was me and fire me. He is big on this sort of stuff, so he would find out.
I need some encouragement. I need to dive straight in and stop sitting on the side of the pool getting my toes wet.

kristydoll

suggestion

Here is a suggestion for you - write under an alias. Using an alias, or pen-name, will give you the privacy you need to write/publish your work.

kristy

Skyclad

Erotica

Hi- I have recently found my own "naughty niche." I have sold four erotic articles. The thing is this- the magazines do not pay on acceptance, but on publication- and I am advised it could take up to ten months for publication. They buy all rights- my question is this- do they own the story WHEN they pay for it- or ONCE I sign the contract. Is it reasonable to wait the ten months or so and then retract my stories and try and sell them elsewhere? Do magazines make a habit of stockpiling stories they don't necessarily intend to use? (Questions, questions...lol) It is a legit magazine, I went and checked it out at the local adult bookstore. I am uncertain as to if I am wasting my time. I don't like giving up all rights, but as long as they are PAYING I am willing to a certain extent to build up my portfolio. Any comments would be appreciated.
SkY

eraser

Erotica

I believe the publication owns the stories once they've received your signed contract. It's based on "good faith". By signing, (agreeing) you promised to give them the stories. They promise to publish and pay. You knew the all-rights/pay-when-published terms when you signed.

But, next time....... Few contracts are written in stone. Many writers are so darn happy to sell a piece that they happily sign anything. Rights can be negotiated. Clauses can be struck out and new ones written in. If they like your stuff and get a good response, I suspect that they'll be open to negotiating the rights the next time you send them something.

Once you have a few clips you'll be in a better bargaining position. Some writers don't mind selling all rights, but that's usually if the pay is WAY up there in Reader's Digest territory.

I wouldn't suggest trying to retract the stories. Editors network too. You don't want to get a rep as being "difficult."

Chalk it up to experience, try negotiating next time and congratulations for making the sales in the first place!

IamSKY

Re: Erotica

I don't actually want to retract them, I was curious if that was a common practice. (Thanks for the info.) I figured they owned it once I signed the dotted line..lol..just was not sure... The editor seems to like me and purchased three stories in a row. I guess my next question would be thus: What is a reasonable amount of time before I query as to the status of the story? I know editors are busy and don't like bothersome writers. *smirk* I am thinking I may have jumped to quickly- I really was SO excited about selling them that $100.00 a piece seemed reasonable to me. :eek:
Thanks for clarifying some things for me. I actually have been scanning through these boards and find them useful.
Warmest regards,
SkY

reef

Querying editor

Asking the publisher to withdraw a story/article that has been accepted is bad news if your piece is in an issue already in production. It may have been typeset and proofread. It may hit the stands tomorrow morning. Of course, you have no way of knowing when your pieces go into production.

I think the best time to ask when your submissions will be published is when they're accepted. It's a reasonable question then, along with other questions about what doing business with this publisher will be like. If you wait months and then ask, you risk sounding impatient and unbusinesslike, especially if you ask more than once.

Suppose you had something accepted recently and weren't told how long . . . Seems to me it would be okay to drop the editor a note saying you now realize that you didn't ask for an estimate of when your story would appear, and does he/she know? That doesn't mean you'll get a helpful answer. It might be "Between 4 months and 3 years from now."

I write (mostly) puzzles, not erotica, but the business arrangements sound similar.

IamSKY

Re: Querying editor

Hi, thanks for the advice.

Actually, I think I will send another story, and if and when it is accepted I will then sneak in the ole "By the way..." and ask that way. Hey it may work. :D

SkY

Jolie du Pre

Any erotica writers?

Hi,

I've been writing erotica for about two years. My stories have appeared on the web at Satin Slippers, Sauce*Box, Venus or Vixen?, Heated Rush, Adult Story Corner and in the Galleries of the Erotica Readers and Writers Association.

Jolie

Seery1

puts up her hand

Hey - so there are erotica boards? I was beginning to give up hope. Hello!
I've been writing erotica for my own amusement for a coupla years now - think I might be ready to share some. Might this be the place?
:)

skyTruffle

over here! :)

Hi! I'm an erotic writer, I think lol! I'm fairly new, just began a couple of months ago. I'm only 19 and I kinda started writing for fun (I replied an ad looking for ethnic female writers?) and so, here I am! :)

Seery1

Re: over here! :)

Nothing happens here skytruffle ..but site beginning to move up at Between the Sheets...
come strut your stuff there?::hat

RachelN

Re: over here! :)

Hi SkyTruffle,

I've often seen those ads for "ethnic female writers" and am intrigued to know what the work actually entails?

Sheflies

Hello I just rediscovered my love for writing erotica and have written 3 tales this week. Though they are unpolished and need some tweeking I am pleased with them. I have a hard time finding words that dont sound harsh to use when describing sexual encounters. I have been trying to work on that also. I hope to have one ready by the weekend to post here if you would be so kind to have a look at it....

Pthom

I'm intrigued. By all means, post one of your stories (or all three). It will be nice to have something to read in the erotica section besides just the "I do it, do you?" kind of comments.
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.