PDA

View Full Version : any Erotica writers?

kristydoll
08-19-2002, 07:46 AM
Wow...this has been a quiet section of the board. Any Erotica writers out there?

kristy

JuliaManning
08-24-2002, 05:03 AM
I'm an erotica writer, though fairly new to the genre. I will be included in an anthology due out from Echelon Press early next year. Also have a historical erotica novel featuring 'gentle mastery' with the same publisher, release date as yet undetermined.

Julia Manning

kristydoll
08-24-2002, 07:01 AM
Nice to meet you Julia! Am glad to see someone out there *grins*...and congrats!!

kristy

Filmclipper
09-06-2002, 07:03 AM
Hi there, I'm a fledging erotic writer - male, 35, caucasian, from NYC. I am writing a series of short stories, narrated by an imaginary man. It's about his 3 seperate encounters with a mysterious woman. I originally wrote these stories for someone (a female) whom I met online. She was very enthusiastic about my writing ability, so I thought I'd re-write my stories, with an eye towards publication. Wish me luck, I'll need it! lol

crystanjustin
09-08-2002, 04:08 AM
Yes, I do claim "erotica writer" as one of my many titles. It is something I got into about six months ago and really enjoy. I am definitely interested in discussing the topic with other writers. :)
Oh, by the way, hi! I'm Crysta, I'm a newspaper editor, mother of three and freelance writer. And if you can fit that all into one sentence, you should be able to do it all in one day, right? ;)

kristydoll
09-13-2002, 04:06 AM
Glad to see everyone coming out. I look forward to some good discussions soon!

kristy

<a href=http://www.kristydoll.com>kristydoll's BDSM Ezine</a>

Cowboysaremyweakness
09-14-2002, 01:17 PM
I've written some slash, does that count? :D

Tes

sensualvenus
09-28-2002, 09:32 PM
My name is Isabelle, I am writing erotica and I have just created my site, Sensual Venus www.sensualvenus.com (http://www.sensualvenus.com) with 2 other female writers a week ago.

Sensual Venus is a place for women erotica writers. Our aim is to offer women a place for their voice to be heard.

Have a look and participate! :-)

Isabelle

live2write
10-22-2002, 11:07 AM
I have written some pretty good stuff for my husband. Showed it to a few of my friends. They seemed to like it. Over the summer I helped my sister-in-law write a story to her husband. She told me she published it on the internet somewhere. The only thing that stops me from trying to sell the stuff is the fear that my boss would find out it was me and fire me. He is big on this sort of stuff, so he would find out.
I need some encouragement. I need to dive straight in and stop sitting on the side of the pool getting my toes wet.

kristydoll
10-22-2002, 10:30 PM
Here is a suggestion for you - write under an alias. Using an alias, or pen-name, will give you the privacy you need to write/publish your work.

kristy

scullars
11-05-2002, 09:18 PM
Just started trying my hand at it. I have a site specifically for my short erotic fiction at www.sharoncullars.net/mid...rotica.htm (http://www.sharoncullars.net/midnighterotica.htm) if anyone's interested.

Skyclad
02-22-2003, 09:56 PM
Hi- I have recently found my own "naughty niche." I have sold four erotic articles. The thing is this- the magazines do not pay on acceptance, but on publication- and I am advised it could take up to ten months for publication. They buy all rights- my question is this- do they own the story WHEN they pay for it- or ONCE I sign the contract. Is it reasonable to wait the ten months or so and then retract my stories and try and sell them elsewhere? Do magazines make a habit of stockpiling stories they don't necessarily intend to use? (Questions, questions...lol) It is a legit magazine, I went and checked it out at the local adult bookstore. I am uncertain as to if I am wasting my time. I don't like giving up all rights, but as long as they are PAYING I am willing to a certain extent to build up my portfolio. Any comments would be appreciated.
SkY

eraser
02-23-2003, 12:27 AM
I believe the publication owns the stories once they've received your signed contract. It's based on "good faith". By signing, (agreeing) you promised to give them the stories. They promise to publish and pay. You knew the all-rights/pay-when-published terms when you signed.

But, next time....... Few contracts are written in stone. Many writers are so darn happy to sell a piece that they happily sign anything. Rights can be negotiated. Clauses can be struck out and new ones written in. If they like your stuff and get a good response, I suspect that they'll be open to negotiating the rights the next time you send them something.

Once you have a few clips you'll be in a better bargaining position. Some writers don't mind selling all rights, but that's usually if the pay is WAY up there in Reader's Digest territory.

I wouldn't suggest trying to retract the stories. Editors network too. You don't want to get a rep as being "difficult."

Chalk it up to experience, try negotiating next time and congratulations for making the sales in the first place!

IamSKY
02-23-2003, 02:56 AM
I don't actually want to retract them, I was curious if that was a common practice. (Thanks for the info.) I figured they owned it once I signed the dotted line..lol..just was not sure... The editor seems to like me and purchased three stories in a row. I guess my next question would be thus: What is a reasonable amount of time before I query as to the status of the story? I know editors are busy and don't like bothersome writers. *smirk* I am thinking I may have jumped to quickly- I really was SO excited about selling them that $100.00 a piece seemed reasonable to me. :o
Thanks for clarifying some things for me. I actually have been scanning through these boards and find them useful.
Warmest regards,
SkY

reef
02-23-2003, 03:21 AM
Asking the publisher to withdraw a story/article that has been accepted is bad news if your piece is in an issue already in production. It may have been typeset and proofread. It may hit the stands tomorrow morning. Of course, you have no way of knowing when your pieces go into production.

I think the best time to ask when your submissions will be published is when they're accepted. It's a reasonable question then, along with other questions about what doing business with this publisher will be like. If you wait months and then ask, you risk sounding impatient and unbusinesslike, especially if you ask more than once.

Suppose you had something accepted recently and weren't told how long . . . Seems to me it would be okay to drop the editor a note saying you now realize that you didn't ask for an estimate of when your story would appear, and does he/she know? That doesn't mean you'll get a helpful answer. It might be "Between 4 months and 3 years from now."

I write (mostly) puzzles, not erotica, but the business arrangements sound similar.

IamSKY
02-23-2003, 03:57 AM
Hi, thanks for the advice.

Actually, I think I will send another story, and if and when it is accepted I will then sneak in the ole "By the way..." and ask that way. Hey it may work. :D

SkY

Jolie du Pre
03-17-2003, 11:33 AM
Hi,

I've been writing erotica for about two years. My stories have appeared on the web at Satin Slippers, Sauce*Box, Venus or Vixen?, Heated Rush, Adult Story Corner and in the Galleries of the Erotica Readers and Writers Association.

Jolie

Seery1
04-11-2003, 08:25 PM
Hey - so there are erotica boards? I was beginning to give up hope. Hello!
I've been writing erotica for my own amusement for a coupla years now - think I might be ready to share some. Might this be the place?
:-)

0 Trojan 0
04-12-2003, 06:02 AM
I just started one called Between The Sheets

pub27.ezboard.com/bbetweenthesheets84522 (http://pub27.ezboard.com/bbetweenthesheets84522)

Feel free to join us. I would like to encourage good writing and join in myself.

All welcome.

0 Trojan 0

Seery1
04-18-2003, 01:47 AM
Thanks Trojan - looks good.
:D

skyTruffle
04-19-2003, 11:39 AM
Hi! I'm an erotic writer, I think lol! I'm fairly new, just began a couple of months ago. I'm only 19 and I kinda started writing for fun (I replied an ad looking for ethnic female writers?) and so, here I am! :)

Seery1
04-19-2003, 02:55 PM
Nothing happens here skytruffle ..but site beginning to move up at Between the Sheets...
come strut your stuff there?::hat

RachelN
04-30-2003, 05:12 PM
Hi SkyTruffle,

I've often seen those ads for "ethnic female writers" and am intrigued to know what the work actually entails?

Sheflies
05-02-2003, 08:53 AM
Hello I just rediscovered my love for writing erotica and have written 3 tales this week. Though they are unpolished and need some tweeking I am pleased with them. I have a hard time finding words that dont sound harsh to use when describing sexual encounters. I have been trying to work on that also. I hope to have one ready by the weekend to post here if you would be so kind to have a look at it....

Pthom
05-02-2003, 01:39 PM
I'm intrigued. By all means, post one of your stories (or all three). It will be nice to have something to read in the erotica section besides just the "I do it, do you?" kind of comments.
;)

skyTruffle
05-03-2003, 10:11 AM
rachel: well those ethnic writer thingie.. pays about $50 per article, key specs are provided and you write the story for them :) it's uhm, pretty much on a personal level i guess lol

minx
05-08-2003, 08:54 AM
Hey everyone,
I am wondering who buys stories out there. I have been rooting around to no avail.
Help?
Minx;)

pconsidine
05-08-2003, 08:15 PM
I was pretty sure thata SensualVenus has a links section on her site that inlcudes information for writers and markets. I'm also pretty sure there's a www.eroticawriter.com or something like that that also has markets. And I'm 99% sure that Writers' Digest publishes an Erotica Writers' Market. All good places to try.

Jolie du Pre
05-31-2003, 12:33 AM
I enjoy erotic writing and I would love to showcase your story or poem in the Monthly Guest Author section of my website.

Visit: www.geocities.com/joliedupre and click on Jolie's Monthly Guest Author

Jolie du Pre

denipink
07-19-2003, 11:12 AM
Hi,

I am the author of the soon to be published "Erotica Defined" an ebook that instructs writers on how to break into the erotica markets.

Your journey to properly express your thoughts when describing a good sex scene is a "must do." Any good erotica writer worth her/his salt will be a master wordsmith, otherwise they need not apply in the first place. With sexual expression we must be very careful to appeal to both the feminine as well as the hungry masculine and so our word selection must reflect on both.

A female will often opt for a softer less urgent expression while the male being the bull that he is will usually opt for the harsher and more insistent word play. No offense to all the males out there. Just an expression!

Here is an excerpt from my book where you will find good resources to help you along in your journey:

Every seasoned erotica writer’s constant companion will be a good dictionary. This is an invaluable aid and something you will never wish to be without. Besides the obvious Webster’s Dictionary there is another little-known dictionary that is an absolute must-have. This is known among the erotica writing trade as the Sex Dictionary and you will find it to be, without a doubt, indispensable.

Find the online Sex Dictionary here: www.sexglossary.com/alphabet/e.shtml. (http://www.sexglossary.com/alphabet/e.shtml.) Read it cover to cover and know it intimately, inside and out. You will simply have no loss for appropriate sexual expression with this handy tool constantly by your side.

Another awesome resource for the erotica writer is the Erotica Search Engine. There are several others, too! Find them all by conducting a simple search. You will want to familiarize yourself with all that they have to offer. Find a very good one here: www.customeroticasource.c...rame.html. (http://www.customeroticasource.com/ces/Frame.html.)

Best of luck to you along on your journey. Make the industry proud, now!

Denise ;)

Chaste
08-21-2003, 09:27 AM
I'm a new erotica writer, stumbling around awkwardly, but did have a novella accepted for publication recently.
So surprised. I like writing erotica, but find it difficult to write (that's not to say I won't keep trying).

Thanks, Denise, for your info. about your book to be published (when?) and (where?) and about the Sex Dictionary.

I'm so happy to find this loop. :D

Chaste

sassenach
08-21-2003, 07:17 PM
Denise:

Neither of those links worked. Can you check them?

thanks

veingloree
08-25-2003, 09:43 PM
What I write is more like gay romance, but as their are sex scenmes and it is homosexual, the romance forums have been a *bad* experience so far. I thought this might be better...

Roy1951
08-29-2003, 10:47 PM
(This message was left blank)

WriterBee
09-11-2003, 12:13 PM
I write erotica. Do you wanna pay me?

Just a joke... :rollin

Seriously, let's keep writing erotica, let's get heard, let's make a contribution to literature.

SaschaI
10-22-2003, 12:09 AM
Yup, erotica author here. And sensual romance author, and soon to be vampire erotica author. Hell, I love this genre ;)

My site is in transition at the moment but you can take a look at what's up currently, and get a few excerpts from current releases at www.lunaravencreations.com/saschai (http://www.lunaravencreations.com/saschai)

Sascha "St. Anger" Illyvich
~~~~~
A CHRISTMAS FAVOR - www.extasybooks.com (http://www.extasybooks.com)
When Tradition involves a hot tryst with your best friend!

"Sensualities" - Do you know the difference between sexy and sinfully sensual?
Available at www.renebooks.com (http://www.renebooks.com)

"Mistress Kitty and Trent" All good boys should have women like this!
Find out now! www.extasybooks.com/eb.ph...okid=15338 (http://www.extasybooks.com/eb.php3?ebookid=15338)

English Lady
10-25-2003, 08:15 PM
I write erotica and my stories can be found at literotica.com as well as my very own site

www.english-lady.co.uk

any writers out there who would like to have their work put on my site then feel free to submit your stories to my site. I won't pay you for it but you might get some good feedback if you ask for it!

you have to register for my site but i can assure you it is a totally free site and not a pop up in sight!

ValerieCrystal
10-29-2003, 05:35 AM
Hello all! :)

I am an erotica writer, have been writing part-time for years and finally just decided to really give it a go and write full-time. Phew! I'm excited and terrified, of course. :)

I'm working on setting up my .com (there are so many providers out there, which do you use? I just can't seem to decide!), but currently have a web presence (be that what it may) at: www.geocities.com/valerie_crystal (http://www.geocities.com/valerie_crystal)

What I'm working on right now? A collection of short stories (I just posted a call for submissions in case anyone is interested) and an erotic novel.

Oh yeah, and I'm taking on a project for National Novel Writing Month, too, in case all that isn't crazy enough. Has anyone else checked it out? Their forum does have an erotica section. www.nanowrimo.org (http://www.nanowrimo.org)

So hello all, it's nice to meet you!

arrowqueen
11-12-2003, 06:17 AM
Hi, I write historical erotica under the pseudonym 'Kate Benedict'. I've had five novels published, the latest of which ('Puritan Passion') is just out. You can check my stuff on amazon, B&N etc - plus good/bad bookshops everywhere. Last time I looked, the American amazon had samples up from 'Wages of Sin.' if anyone cares to look.

Good luck with your own writing.

Cheers,
arrowqueen.

tammeenow
01-14-2004, 07:46 AM
Hey all-

I am a erotic writer although I write many forms and vary in my subject matter. Erotica is my favorite thing to write along with my dark poetry. my erotic work is usually found under _tam_mee_ or taw . I have a sight for my writtings but I have not put any of my erotic works there yet.

Any advice of any kind always graciously accepted.
_tam_mee_
:p :smokin :whistle

www.itwasonlyyourfantasy.com

VivaciousViviAnna
01-16-2004, 01:31 AM
Hey out there,

I'm a published erotica writer. My first book, GODDESS OF THE DEAD, has been released today. Yu can see it at www.extasybooks.com/eb.ph...okid=17623 (http://www.extasybooks.com/eb.php3?ebookid=17623)

You can check out my other work at www.vivianna.net.

I enjoy the genre. It allows me to explore possibilities, any possibilities. I mix it with other genres like vampires, fantasy, mystery, camp humor. The possibilities are endless.

My advice to those who want to write...write, get it out there. There are plenty of markets for it and places to showcase arenas. Sensual Venus www.sensualvenus.com, is one great arena. See it if you can.

Cheers,

Vivi Anna

feliciachase
04-23-2004, 01:24 AM
Hi,

I've been writing it for about two years so far, I fantasize alot ok? My instructors told me I was a good writer and to do something with it. I also like writing scifi, yup I'm a real Trek geek...lol. But I've been writing erotica alot lately. But this is my first time posting one of them. If you dont' mind I'd like you to go over to "The Unlocked Door" on ezboard and tell me what you think. Thanx.

A writer writes....always!

Maggie Casper
06-26-2004, 01:11 AM
Hi all,

I'm Maggie Casper a new author with Liquid Silver Books. I just found this board and hope to be able to hang out and chat often.

Maggie Casper
www.maggiecasper.com

veingloree
06-26-2004, 07:09 PM
Hi Maggie!

Umm. Felicia, where on ezboard -- isn't this whole thing ezboard?

aka eraser
06-26-2004, 10:31 PM
Vein EZBoard has thousands of message boards like the water cooler under hundreds, if not thousands of subjects. You can search for them from their home page.

www.ezboard.com/ (http://www.ezboard.com/)

veingloree
06-26-2004, 10:37 PM
Umm. Yeah. *That* I know. But if felicia want people to read her story I think a direct link would be more succesful.

"But this is my first time posting one of them. If you dont' mind I'd like you to go over to "The Unlocked Door" on ezboard and tell me what you think. Thanx. "

aka eraser
06-27-2004, 01:50 AM
Oh.

Well then.

Nevermind.

:D

I suppose that might be the name of the message board though.

pepperlandgirl
06-29-2004, 07:23 AM
Maggie, I've been considering submitting to them. What have your experience been like?

poppyhullings
06-29-2004, 07:35 AM
I found The Unlocked Door: p082.ezboard.com/btheunlockeddoor (http://p082.ezboard.com/btheunlockeddoor)

Not very many members (no pun intended) or posts, but Felicia posted some work there.

Heninky
08-19-2004, 05:38 PM
Hi!

I have been writing erotica now for 4 years and am published both online and in print. I have self published a collection of my short stories and am working on my second which will be published by Logical-Lust.com

I also work as an ebook reviewer for ebooks-weekly.net and for independant authors. MY own newsletter, Scrawlings is a place for erotic writers to submit though it is a non-paying market.

Carrie x

cherilnc
09-02-2004, 08:11 PM
Hi there,

*digging through the old threads*

I write erotica but under a different name...though followers of me and my alter ego are learning the truth...

I did a lot of spoken word performances around NYC last year about this time and people started recognizing me on the subways, restaurants, or anywhere on the street…talking to me like I knew them personally…heck no, I’m shy when I get off stage! My erotic following is primarily women and I built in online and in person through open mike venues. It has lead me to more serious gigs though, like speaking at a romance conference as a keynote speaker (first paid speech, that was great!) I felt special, lol.

I kept the names separate so as not to scare off the other half of my readers that didn’t know that side of me…

Nyki27
09-09-2004, 07:12 AM
Hi, I'm Nyki (a Nyki of the male variety) - I've been writing forever, but I mostly write fantasy. The other kind of fantasy, that is. I've tried my hand now and then at erotica, I had an erotic horror story published a few years back, also a short piece in a magazine called Desire, that publishes things that are part flash finction, part readers letters, but no-one pretends that they're "true accounts". But I've written a couple of erotic pieces recently, and I'm looking into how to break into that market.

Nyki