I would be a terrible father

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
Because I love it when kids say hilarious shit.

Like today, I was in the elevator going downstairs when it stopped at the ninth floor. The door opened and it seemed as if no one was there, so I pressed the 'close door' button (which actually work here in China!). As the door was about to close, however, a little hand thrust its way in and I heard a little kid's voice say, "Wait! Hold on! Press the button for me." So I pressed the 'open' button and in popped this spastic little kid's face. He was out of breath and half-said, half-spit at me, "Wait. I'll be right back. Just wait." He looked to be about five years old.

I didn't have anywhere to be, so I actually waited. About five minutes later, the kid comes back on a little scooter, chanting, "I'm back! I'm back! And I've got someone with me!", at which an older gentleman rounded the corner, entered the elevator and thanked me profusely for holding the elevator for them.

Then he turned to the kid and said, "Don't you think you ought to thank your uncle?" He meant me. And the kid said, "No, he didn't do anything. I was the one that told him to hold the door."

The older man looked at me kinda embarassed-like, in a way apologizing for the kid's rudeness, and then continued to cajole him into saying thank you: "You know, even if someone helped you do something and even if it was only because you told them to, you really should thank them."

And the child continued, "But I did it. I told him to hold the door."

At which point I started laughing uncontrollably because it was awesome, while the older man continued in vain to talk the child out of his asshole-ish behaviour.

In any case, the elevator reached the bottom floor and I was still laughing, which --I'm sure-- instilled very deeply the lesson the old man was trying to teach.

You don't come across many kids like that in China. Kid had spirit.

Fucking loved it.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
You'll do great. Don't you think kids like parents with a sense of humor? Sometimes you just have to laugh. Sometimes you can hold it 'til later, but you still laugh.

Kids are hilarious. You'll have a blast.

Once you can get some sleep.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I think you'd make a great father, Tru, but then I'm biased. See how great you handled the kid in the elevator. Way2go!:)

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dude, you're the perfect uncle: the trustworthy corruptor. All kids should have that kind of uncle or aunt. And it's a great gig -- all the laughs, none of the clean-up!

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
The uncle gig is not as much fun as the father gig. You're not as worried about breaking the kid. Been both, like the dad bit best by far.

If he's thinking about it, ladies, he's a keeper.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I don't think so -- not entirely. Did the old man thank him for doing all the legwork? He busted his butt to get that elevator, and nobody acknowledged him for it. He could've just said, "Oh, well, another one will be along".

I loved that he stood up for himself. Sure, he could've said 'thank you' as well, but he had a darn good point.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Gotta have a South Park sense of humor when raising 'em

My parents were uptight (if anyone knows of a good voodoo priestess, I've grand plans for revenge). After 24 years of parenting, I've discovered one thing about being an older parent (we couldn't keep our hands off one another--MAN, are we paying for it NOW!)...you really don't care about the stupid shit, your kids are more well-rounded since you don't, and when in doubt seek either Cheech & Chong or Cartmen.

A handful of years ago, my daughters 3 & 5 hid behind a bush with my copy of the key fob car alarm setter--whatever the bloody blazes it's called. When dad pulled up, gathered gym bag, briefcase & other full-handed items, closed door, set alarm, they hit the PANIC button. Only way to turn off screaming car alarm was to open car & start car--this was an older model alarm. After about the 4th time of dad dropping all his gear, cussing up a storm, starting car to halt alarm--and me laughing too hard to stop the girls--he finally threw his keys at the car.
Only then, did he hear their snickering from behind the bush.
And of course, he became the raging monster tearing after two screaming meemees....they've been tormenting him ever since. Nothing like discovering an easy victim.
My parents? Oh, they would have strung me up by my toes, amputated my arms, then told me to get myself down.
Gotta have humor when raising kids...so..dare to laugh & watch how superbly they turn out.

K

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I laugh at my son regularly...he's funny even though he doesn't mean to be. Kids are great, as long as you don't mind getting puked on once in a while. :)

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Truman, along the lines of what you are expressing, I sometimes have similar nagging doubts myself but with one difference... I already am a parent of two teenagers.

My daughter and I have very similar senses of humour that can verge on the plain sick and I seem to be able to relate just a trifle too well with all of her friends. Sometimes when groups of teenagers say you're "cool" or whatever, it can raise a doubt as to... well, does it really mean I seriously need to look at growing up, and am I just so liberal I let everything slide? You know, I seriously do wonder it at times.

On the other hand I couldn't count the number times those kids have observed me chatting about something quite deep with her, and have later said to her "Wow, I wish I could talk about that kind of stuff with my parents." A lot of people comment on how much we all talk and laugh together. So maybe the childish stuff is just a facet of communicating openly.

A couple of weeks ago we all went up to a Chilis gig in Auckland, the NZ leg of their tour, and we all got right hard up under the front of the stage and rocked together. I'm so glad we share musical tastes, it's such a big part of our lives and that concert will remain with me always as something special we all did together. Jeeez, I seriously reckon I talk more with my kids in a day than I ever did with my father (bless his soul) in a lifetime.

Parenthood to me is full of fine lines that you walk, always feeling out where the balance and the boundaries are. You just take your own best stab at getting it right. There's much worse you can do than have a slightly warped sense of humour. Sounds to me like you'd make a great dad Truman.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Truman, along the lines of what you are expressing, I sometimes have similar nagging doubts myself but with one difference... I already am a parent of two teenagers.

My daughter and I have very similar senses of humour that can verge on the plain sick and I seem to be able to relate just a trifle too well with all of her friends. Sometimes when groups of teenagers say you're "cool" or whatever, it can raise a doubt as to... well, does it really mean I seriously need to look at growing up, and am I just so liberal I let everything slide? You know, I seriously do wonder it at times.

On the other hand I couldn't count the number times those kids have observed me chatting about something quite deep with her, and have later said to her "Wow, I wish I could talk about that kind of stuff with my parents." A lot of people comment on how much we all talk and laugh together. So maybe the childish stuff is just a facet of communicating openly.

A couple of weeks ago we all went up to a Chilis gig in Auckland, the NZ leg of their tour, and we all got right hard up under the front of the stage and rocked together. I'm so glad we share musical tastes, it's such a big part of our lives and that concert will remain with me always as something special we all did together. Jeeez, I seriously reckon I talk more with my kids in a day than I ever did with my father (bless his soul) in a lifetime.

Parenthood to me is full of fine lines that you walk, always feeling out where the balance and the boundaries are. You just take your own best stab at getting it right. There's much worse you can do than have a slightly warped sense of humour. Sounds to me like you'd make a great dad Truman.

A kindred parenting spirit. You rock! The best we can do is to remember what we hated about our own parents; what we longed for in our childhood...quite often, there was that mom/dad down the street that you found yourself saying: I wish she was MY mom/dad.
To those that were lucky enough to HAVE said parent...repeat the performance...one day your kids become parents.
Whom will they imitate?

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
That doesn't sound terrible to me, Truman.
Sometimes it's very, very hard not to laugh and be serious when trying to explain to a 4 or 5 year old why something isn't appropriate. They are so matter of fact and not really keen to all of our social norms.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When a cute three-year-old with pigtails says "shit" for the first time, in perfect diction and proper context, can a parent of sound mind hold the giggles until he has sprinted from the room?

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
A while back, when my daughter was 4, she was sitting at the bar in the kitchen, eating her chips and ranch dip (she had a new jar) and watching tv. The phone rang, so I figured I could steal 10 minutes of chat time in my office. When I came back into the kitchen (literally 10 minutes later), she had used the whole jar of ranch dip as body lotion and had it rubbed all over her arms, legs, cheeks of her face and the top of the bar. Oh, and she was now sitting on the bar. I gasped, and quickly ran back into my office, while my daughter was yelling at me that she was sorry and would clean it up. She was thinking she was in trouble, but I only ran off to get the camera. Then, I made her sit there, wearing it until her dad came home, so he could see her. About 30 minutes later, when he walked into the house and saw her, he didn't say a word. Just marched right over to the sink, pulled the sprayer out and turned the water on and started a huge water fight.
Lesson learned and no crying involved. She doesn't wear ranch dip anymore.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
You know some people have big dimples in their chin, well for some reason my son (can't remember his age... 3?) used to refer to them as "having a fanny on their chin." Inevitably we ended up having a rather sedate dinner one night, and sure enough there was a guy "with a fanny on his chin." And yep, my son told him so! Very loudly.

By the way, "fanny" has a slightly different connotation here than in the states where I believe it is basically one's "butt". Here it is, ummm... a woman's private parts so to say.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Zach, my love, the parent/child thing is a mutually warping relationship. A few months back, my almost four year old, picked up a butter knife and waved it in my direction, saying, "Why can't I just cut your head off?" To which I replied, "Well, you can. Just not with that."

I think my husband is not altogether comfortable around me...

(I loved your story. He sounds like a pistol.)