PDA

View Full Version : rejection number four and counting

sunna
05-01-2007, 03:27 AM
Well, on the plus side (sorta), I got rejected in record time: she said 6-8 weeks for a partial, and got back to me in 2. I'm trying to look at this as a good thing.

Grawrrrg, my skin's about as thick as phyllo dough right now. Somebody smack me please; I need toughening up.

Cath
05-01-2007, 04:36 AM
You've got a ways to go to beat my record - 30 minutes on the nose. :)

4 rejections is nothing. Only another 96 to go before you can legitimately complain!

Keep sending them...

sunna
05-01-2007, 04:49 AM
Thanks, Cath. :) 96 to go - eek. I better get crackin'. I actually just sent out two purely on the 'get right back in the saddle' principle: makes me wonder if there's such a phenomenon as the rebound agent. :tongue

I sense my husband is doomed to several months of obligatory backrubs and sincere-sounding pep talks. No wonder so many writers thank their spouses in their first books...

czjaba
05-01-2007, 04:55 AM
Last Friday, I got a rejection in 13 minutes. Yep, I'm still stuck in query letter hell.

Sassenach
05-01-2007, 05:12 AM
A couple of years ago, I had a poem rejected in under 10 minutes.

sunna
05-01-2007, 05:14 AM
Last Friday, I got a rejection in 13 minutes. Yep, I'm still stuck in query letter hell.

Oh, I'm sorry! Rejections sure do suck. Writing novels and dreaming of glorious fame and fortune is ever so much more fun than pursuing it, I'm rapidly discovering. :) I suppose reality had to make an extrance into my life sometime.
Heck with ghostwriters; I want to hire me a ghostsubmitter.
The forms I can take - that way I can tell myself (erroneously, no doubt, but hey - that's why I write fantasy) that they never read it. But the partials are painful, and leave me worrying that I wrote a better query than I did a book.

We need margaritas and jalapeno nachos. I'm buying.

CaroGirl
05-01-2007, 05:31 AM
I understand. I'm losing my mind waiting for certain rejection. I'm writing and living and all that stuff, but it eats away at you, that's for sure.

Chin up. We'll survive. Maybe we'll even get published.

Silver King
05-01-2007, 05:40 AM
A couple of years ago, I had a poem rejected in under 10 minutes.
On the flip side, I received a rejection last week that took eleven months to the day from when the story was sent. I figure the editors agonized for nearly a year, through countless meetings while debating the merits of my work, before finally passing.

I sent the article out the next day to a better paying market, and I expect an acceptance notice at any moment...

janetbellinger
05-01-2007, 06:31 AM
Sorry you got rejected. You will toughen up. I used to be so thin skinned you could see my veins but now I don't even feel the rejections. I've had four of them in four days, and today I got one for a partial I submitted five months ago. The agent did say she passed it around to all the other agents but they unanimously agreed to pass on it.

Pisarz
05-01-2007, 07:02 AM
I got excited when I saw "four." I thought someone actually surpassed my three-digit record and hit four-digit rejections.

You have plenty of agents left on your list--send out two queries for every rejection. That'll show 'em!

sunna
05-01-2007, 05:40 PM
You have plenty of agents left on your list--send out two queries for every rejection. That'll show 'em!

I'm picturing agents the nation over desperately hacking at my query letters with machetes.
Every time you try to kill them, they multiply... ::evil laugh::

Ok, maybe I should try writing sci-fi. Or maybe I just need to get some sleep. :)

Pisarz
05-01-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm picturing agents the nation over desperately hacking at my query letters with machetes.
Every time you try to kill them, they multiply... ::evil laugh::

A bunch of little query hydras.

Saundra Julian
05-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Hang tough, sweetie!

RainbowDragon
05-02-2007, 07:54 PM
In time you won't feel like a writer without a constant stream of rejections coming in. . .Keep writing (revising and/or working on something new) and keep submitting. It becomes routine and generally you'll take it less personally the more experience you get with the (grueling) process. Yes the dream is much nicer, but you're looking to make it real, and that takes hard work and dedication.

sunna
05-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Thanks everyone: it's very, very good not to be alone in this. :)

Update: I got another last night that was actually kind of rude, and have moved from what-if-my-writing-sucks? to the annoyed going-to-prove-them-wrong state that I can never seem to get to without being jabbed at by an outside party.
I think I will send out two for every rejection, at least until I run out of agents.

Grrr. I am writer; hear me.....um.....type.

Soccer Mom
05-02-2007, 09:17 PM
I just started the query chain again today. Sent out the first two on a new project. And I have some magazine submissions floating out there, so my box should be stuffed with form rejections shortly.

I'd like extra jalapenos on my nachos please. And a margarita the size of the the battleship Texas.