Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Talk about a Potter overload, I'll be in the theatre with popcorn in one hand and The Deathly Hallows in the other. ;)

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I actually watched the trailer four times. I am such a geek. :tongue

facsmth

Registered
Reaction score
I'm such a geek that I bought a book called "Geek Love" and thought it was a romance with nerds in it. Turns out the book was about a female circus performer who bites the heads off chickens who marries the ring leader. It's a fictional memoir by the daughter of this odd couple.

The book is by Katherine Dunn.

What was I saying? Oh nevermind. I'm such a geek, I'm tangental about a topic nobody else was talking about. :D

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I'm such a geek that I bought a book called "Geek Love" and thought it was a romance with nerds in it. Turns out the book was about a female circus performer who bites the heads off chickens who marries the ring leader. It's a fictional memoir by the daughter of this odd couple.

The book is by Katherine Dunn.

What was I saying? Oh nevermind. I'm such a geek, I'm tangental about a topic nobody else was talking about. :D

I am, nonetheless, fascinated. :)

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I can't wait for the 7th book to come out so I can finally buy a boxed set.

Who the hell buys a boxed set of a series of 4 books when you know it's a seven book set?

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
It's too late for me on the box set - I have to get the damn thing as soon as it hits the shelves. Though I'm slightly sorry now I didn't just borrow them from - oh, any member of my family - and hold off. I've been known to call in sick the day after they come out, because I stayed up the whole night to finish. I'm sure there's some sort of tracking system at work for this now. "Harry Potter Absenteeism Syndrome"...

My aunt actually called me up sobbing hysterically after reading the end of book six (stopping there to avoid spoilers). I use this standard whenever I start to worry that I'm a bit obsessed. :tongue

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Come on, (s)he had to die. It was inevitable. ;)

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Come on, (s)he had to die. It was inevitable. ;)

Right there with you; I applauded (sadly). As long as my favorite character isn't slaughtered, I'm ok. :)
But I'm not looking forward to another hour-long session of hysterical crying this summer if anyone else croaks - I can't even remember how I calmed her down last time.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Well, we all know Harry dies, so hopefully no one else will have to go.

If I had my druthers, I'd like to see this:

Ron and Hermoine hook up
Harry fakes his own death and goes into seclusion to live a regular life free of both his muggle relatives and the ministry of magic and fame
Neville gets the credit for saving the world from Voldemort

But I don't think any of those things will happen, so I'll stick to the old reliable: harry dies.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
Harry just can't die. I'm going to stick to that until the book comes out. But, I agree that the character who died in the sixth book had to die, but I still cried. I couldn't help it.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
It's deplorable at my age to be such a fan of the Harry Potter books, but I can't wait for the last one.

Don't worry, that's why there's a blank cover edition.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite characters are likely canon fodder in the seventh book so I'm already resigned to seeing them go. Oddly, I couldn't care less about Harry, Hermione, Ron, etc. Probably goes back to my not really caring much for stories about kids. The adults surrounding them were/are much more interesting to me than they are.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I definitely think Neville is going to play a big part in the endgame - I actually wonder if he's going to get offed. For some reason I still can't believe she'll kill Harry, though I know she's threatened it.
I just wanna see more Snape, that's all I ask. I love that guy.
...not, may I say, in a slash fanfiction sort of way. I wandered unwittingly into some of that the other night, and I will never be the same. :tongue

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes, I love Snape too. He's such a complex character and I must admit, the type I usually pull for.

And I agree about the slashy fanfic ... horrific.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who the hell buys a boxed set of a series of 4 books when you know it's a seven book set?
Christmas presents. ;)

I've been buying the adult hardcovers from Raincoast Books up here in Canada, they look great on my bookshelf. I've had Deathly Hallows on back order since February 9[SUP]th[/SUP] and can't wait to get at it. I'm even planning my reading so that I'm not partway through anything else come release day.

What can I say, I too am a Potter Geek. :)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:drools shamelessly at the thought of Book 7 and the movie for O of P:

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Harry just can't die. I'm going to stick to that until the book comes out. But, I agree that the character who died in the sixth book had to die, but I still cried. I couldn't help it.
If J.K. Rowling knows what's good for her and wants kids to read her other books, she won't off any of the main characters... As for who gets it in number 7, I think it will be Neville Longbottom or Draco... But then again we'll see..

As for the fifth movie, it looks pretty intense--a bit darker which is on purpose i'm sure--I haven't read all of the books so I only know what my wife has told me about the story.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I've been buying the adult hardcovers from Raincoast Books up here in Canada, they look great on my bookshelf. I've had Deathly Hallows on back order since February 9[sup]th[/sup] and can't wait to get at it. I'm even planning my reading so that I'm not partway through anything else come release day.

Those are awesome. I wish I didn't already have 1-6, now I want those. A 7-book box set of them.
But I doubt I could justify the expense to my husband, who finds the whole Potter phenomenon a bit baffling.
Heh. I should show him the fanfic I ran across and see what he thinks of that. :D

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
"Deathly" Predictions...(yanno, like who will die)

One of the Weasly parents.
Kingsley Shaklebolt
Remus Lupin (such a tortured soul; almost seems kind to put him out of his misery. Tonks will be devastated.)
Mad Eye Moody
Possibly...Snape. He will die defending Harry, because he was in love with Lily.

And, of course, Peter Pettigrew, who will also die protecting Harry, because he owes his life to Harry after Book 3. That'll come back to bite him in the butt.

Also could buy the farm...
Bellatrix LeStrange (killed by Sirius' brother, who you know will appear)
Lucius Malfoy, but I'm betting he'll hang on, like a cockroach.
Crabbe and Goyle's fathers

And just because he didn't believe Dumbledore...

Cornelius Fudge.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
"Deathly" Predictions...(yanno, like who will die)

One of the Weasly parents.
Kingsley Shaklebolt
Remus Lupin (such a tortured soul; almost seems kind to put him out of his misery. Tonks will be devastated.)
Mad Eye Moody
Possibly...Snape. He will die defending Harry, because he was in love with Lily.

And, of course, Peter Pettigrew, who will also die protecting Harry, because he owes his life to Harry after Book 3. That'll come back to bite him in the butt.

Also could buy the farm...
Bellatrix LeStrange (killed by Sirius' brother, who you know will appear)
Lucius Malfoy, but I'm betting he'll hang on, like a cockroach.
Crabbe and Goyle's fathers

And just because he didn't believe Dumbledore...

Cornelius Fudge.

I, too, think one of the Weasley parents will die. JK Rowling did say that one character who was supposed to do die got a reprieve, and I'm thinking it's Draco Malfoy. I think he's going to come over to the Order, possibly, but I'm not sure how exactly. I hope Remus doesn't die, as I really like his character.

Someone mentioned upthread about Ron and Hermione getting together, and I know they will. Rowling said it always meant to be the two of them together. But, I think Harry's going to survive, and he and Ginny Weasley will wind up together. That way, the Weasleys will really be his family, the family he always wanted.

Of course, that's the happy ending I'm praying for. Rowling could surprise me, but I hope she won't.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
She said "CENTRAL" character. There's only 3. Ron, Hermoine, Harry.

Which one dies?

I say Harry. It makes the most sense.

Killing Hermoine's just mean, and Harry would kill himself if he let Ron die in his place.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
She said "CENTRAL" character. There's only 3. Ron, Hermoine, Harry.

Which one dies?

I say Harry. It makes the most sense.

Killing Hermoine's just mean, and Harry would kill himself if he let Ron die in his place.

Hmm, in everything I've read (and I'm such a geek that I've read a lot of JKR interviews), I don't think I ever read "central." I'm still holding out that Harry lives, along with Ron and Hermione.

I remember when reading Order of the Phoenix I heard the spoiler that a main character died. I couldn't figure out who. When I read the book and found out it was Sirius, I thought that he wasn't a main character. If he was considered a main character, then any of the Weasley's could be considered a main character, along with Neville or some of the other members of the Order.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Do you have the prophecy handy? I don't.

JKR says this about the prophecy:

The prophecy Harry hears in Dumbledore's office suggests to me that both he and Voldemort will have to die, is that true?

Both Madam Trelawney and I worded the prophecy extremely carefully and that is all I have to say on the subject!