Help!

Jacob Spire

Registered
Reaction score
Website
yellip.blogspot.com
Is there anywhere I can find an index listing only advisable agents?

I've been rummaging through the index, and all I could find were either unadvisables agents or ones who do not accept unsolicited work.

It's an amazing index, granted, but I guess I'm a bit of a lazy bug and could do with a nice sifting of agents who might send me back something other than a form letter or a request for payment.

Thanks.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Form letters have nothing to do with whether an agency is legit or good. It's necessary because they deal with too many submissions and queries to handle each with a customized individual response.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I would guess that form letters are a requirement for the vast majority of legitimate (great, good, average) agents.

egriffith

VP Grad and Published AUTHOR!
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Website
egriffith.info
Once you find the name of a couple of good agents on AgentQuery.com, then start googling the same names (for the agent or agency as a whole), you'll be shocked how much you can find out about them before you even write the first letter. (I also used WritersMarket.com, which is pretty useless, IMHO. Their listings are by agency only, with little in the way of specifics about the agents themselves. They need to totally revamp their way of doing things on that site.)

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Publishers Marketplace is an invaluable resource. A "good" or "advisable" agent is one who sells books like yours. By just going back a couple years and keeping abreast of who sells what you can learn more than any blind internet search. Look on deals THEN go online and check the agents out. You should use more than one source as deadly suggests and yes: Research is necessary. If you think this part is complex just wait until you work with editors, marketing and publicists...