PDA

View Full Version : How long?

CaroGirl
04-30-2007, 06:03 PM
How long would it take the average healthy person to walk 1.2 miles of city street? There is a sidewalk.

Thanks!

PattiTheWicked
04-30-2007, 06:12 PM
I walk my dog every morning for exactly one mile, and it takes me about 15 minutes. We don't have sidewalks in my neighborhood so I walk him on the street, but it's all flat and well paved. Don't know if that helps or not, but it might give you a ballpark starting point :)

Elektra
04-30-2007, 06:29 PM
I tend to walk really slowly, and take 30-45 minutes per mile (I'm average weight, but terribly out of shape, so I don't know how much this helps).

Bmwhtly
04-30-2007, 06:35 PM
I'd ballpark around 20 minutes. Depending on how crowded the pavement was.

Sassee
04-30-2007, 06:37 PM
15 to 20 minutes per mile per the average person.

More if they're a slow walker or out of shape. Less if they're fast walkers.

Anya Smith
04-30-2007, 06:44 PM
It takes me 20 minutes, but I'm short with short legs.

CaroGirl
04-30-2007, 06:48 PM
Thank you to everyone. That was fast! So, I guess if I had a 15 yo who, although fairly fit, wasn't anxious to get where she was going, and she took about 50 minutes to walk 1.2 miles, that might be reasonable?

oarsman
04-30-2007, 06:52 PM
If it is a busy city street, you might need to add some delay for street crossings and crowded sidewalks.

Devil Ledbetter
04-30-2007, 06:54 PM
If your making a point that she's really dragging her feet, I supposed. But 50 minutes seems awfully long for 1.2 miles.

You should go out and walk it.

CaroGirl
04-30-2007, 06:57 PM
I'm imagining the distance, and it seems far to me. Mapquest says it's only 1.2 miles. Looks like I'm taking DL's suggestion and walking downtown in the name of research (ugh).

The Grift
04-30-2007, 07:14 PM
I used to live in New York City and I would walk exactly 2 miles each way to school every day. Across busy streets, waiting for lights, etc. It took me exactly 30 minutes for 2 miles. Yes, I do tend to walk fast, but not THAT fast. 50 minutes for 1.2 miles would be doing some serious dawdling.

Maryn
04-30-2007, 07:36 PM
This is some research it would be easy to do.

Get a map and figure out how far 1.2 miles is from where you are. Ideally, make it a round trip in which you return to your starting point but not by just turning around and following the same route back.

Now dawdle, let yourself get distracted, and so on, just like your character. I don't think you can make 1.2 miles last 50 minutes unless you completely stop for a total of nearly a half hour.

For most adults who are not in a hurry but are walking at a comfortable, pleasant pace, a mile takes about 20 minutes. A stroll ups it to 25, tops. It's hard to walk slower. A 15 minute mile is pretty brisk, pacewise, unless your legs are really long so your stride is huge--or your dog is urging you onward.

Maryn, longtime walker

CaroGirl
04-30-2007, 07:41 PM
Okay, now I have her zigzagging and taking entire city blocks out of her way, looking into windows, etc. She really doesn't want get where she's going, so I want it to take a long time.

Thank you all again!

kristie911
05-01-2007, 09:24 AM
Good choice...50 minutes is REALLY slow. Having her wander all over is a good way to drag it out. :)

Sandi LeFaucheur
05-02-2007, 01:55 PM
How many Tim Hortons are there between A and B? That makes a huge difference...

scarletpeaches
05-02-2007, 02:24 PM
I hear average walking speed is about three miles an hour. That's the figure I use when I need to work out travelling time for my writing.

johnrobison
05-02-2007, 02:49 PM
It should take less than half an hour, but in a city, you never know . . . street musicians could entrance her. Shooting could break out between rival crack dealers. A rogue motorist could run over a pedestrian just ahead. Any number of things could happen to significantly increase her travel time.

She could also be kidnapped by outlaw bikers, thereby travelling the remaining 1/2 mile much faster. Or, shaken by the gang violence, she might have hopped on the first bus she saw, and ended up somewhere completely different.

Lyxdeslic
05-02-2007, 03:04 PM
If your making a point that she's really dragging her feet, I supposed. But 50 minutes seems awfully long for 1.2 miles.

You should go out and walk it.
Or, better yet, make her walk it with you and use the time to talk to her about life. She'll act like she hates it -- which will serve as a great form of mild punishment -- but she won't really hate it, she'll secretly enjoy the comfort of it. :)

Lyx

CaroGirl
05-02-2007, 04:54 PM
It should take less than half an hour, but in a city, you never know . . . street musicians could entrance her. Shooting could break out between rival crack dealers. A rogue motorist could run over a pedestrian just ahead. Any number of things could happen to significantly increase her travel time.

She could also be kidnapped by outlaw bikers, thereby travelling the remaining 1/2 mile much faster. Or, shaken by the gang violence, she might have hopped on the first bus she saw, and ended up somewhere completely different.
Or she could be intrigued by a guy in leather on a motorcycle with an April Wine bumper sticker. Get on with him, and he takes on a wild ride she'll never forget. The guy's name is John. Thanks for the inspiration!

Or, better yet, make her walk it with you and use the time to talk to her about life. She'll act like she hates it -- which will serve as a great form of mild punishment -- but she won't really hate it, she'll secretly enjoy the comfort of it. :)
I could take my character on a walk, as long as no one finds out and tries to put me on heavy medication for psychosis ;)

How many Tim Hortons are there between A and B? That makes a huge difference...
Yes, that's certainly a factor in the...mmm...Horton's...what was I saying? Sorry, I have to go.

C.bronco
05-02-2007, 05:07 PM
It takes me 11 to 12 minutes to run a mile when I go jogging. I'm exceedingly slow. On a good day, I run a 10 minute mile.