Thoughts on Tonight's Sopranos?

David Erlewine

Registered
Reaction score
I've had a feeling AJ would get more involved in Pop's business . . . and now that he's been turned down by his true love perhaps he'll move from the pizza business to his father's business.

Overall, the show is moving along the (general) lines of what I expected.

Ironically, tonight's episode brought to mind Season 1's excellent John Heard character. Tony ridiculed him for being an addict and Heard replied something along the lines of, "You have the unique ability to sum up a man's life in one sentence." With Tony's gambling addiction worsening, it just goes to show how prescient Justin T is. What goes around does in fact come around.

Last edited:

David Erlewine

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting q. I checked out TWOP's forums and most seem to think Tony had her whacked just to let Heshie know that he can get his money back . . . at a price. Some thought that since he said she had a headache that maybe she did suffer from migraines etc. and could have had a brain aneurysm. Me, I think T had something to do with it.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking that Tony had something to do with it too, but how they did it perplexes me. Then again, it may have just been a weird coincidence and Tony didn't know how to express sympathy except to pay Hesh back all the money he owes.

I felt sorry for AJ. He was doing well and now ... Why did she dump him? I know she was being real witchy toward him this 'season', but I never saw why.

Pisarz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharppenediting.com
Yeah, I'm also leaning toward the idea that Tony had Hesh's girlfriend whacked as a trade-off for paying up. But I can't figure out the how.

As for AJ's girlfriend, I don't think it was AJ, I think it was the "family" that turned her off. I don't think she liked the lifestyle or rule-breaking of the Sopranos et al. The conspicuous consumption, getting out of legal troubles in a snap, sense of entitlement, etc. She didn't appear to enjoy those Sunday dinners.

FatTire

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
Whacks have never been in secrete on this show. If Tony had her whacked, we would have seen it. The actually killing of people has never been a mystery, and it isn't even what this show is about. He had no reason to kill her. There are only 5 episodes of this series left, do we really believe that they are going to waste time on a minor player such as her and create a mystery surrounding her death?

The central theme of this episode is that Tony is going under. His gambling ways are starting to catch up to him and his guys aren't earning as much as they once used to. Did any of you catch the fact that games Tony bets he loses, he is becoming a mush. His whole way of life is caving in on him. If he had bet Carmella's money on that Jets/Chargers game, he would have been set with $1.2 million.

We are watching a once powerful man lose everything that he loves. He is slowly fading into the sunset. This season is poetic. I cannot wait to see the Paulie vs Chris feud finally reach its boiling point next week.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Going back to seeing whackings, we never actually saw Adrianna shot. Just heard shots. Of all the episodes, that one bugged me the most. I think seeing her desperation when she was grabbing hold of the seats in the car and Silvio was pulling her out just sorta got to me. I could imagine how that might feel.

I gotta admit, I like Tony; always have and probably will even in the end. I think he has always wanted the standard life with the perks, but without the bloodshed, but has no idea how to accomplish it. He certainly was started off wrong with his father and that evil mother of his.

FatTire

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
But we knew Tony had ordered the hit on Adriana. They found out that she was talking to the FBI. It was no secrete who was behind her killing. This show has never been shy when it comes to revealing who is behind a whack. With 5 episodes to go in the entire series, I doubt that they would change anything. It makes no sense.

If Tony didn't want to pay Hesh, he wouldn't have to. He's the head of the New Jersey family. If he wanted Hesh's girl dead, we would have seen one of Tony's guys do it.

Last edited:

RMS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gardenandhearth.com
I was wondering if AJ's girlfriend might be an FBI agent.
Everytime I think the storyline is going in one direction, it takes a turn and baffles me.
Can't wait for next week's show, this one felt unfinished to me.

hopeful

Registered
Reaction score
According to hbo.com, Renata died of natural causes (a stroke).

The look of -- what was it exactly -- victory? that swept across Tony's face as he was leaving Hesh's place (after unceremoniously/cruelly dropping off the money he owed) was revelatory in countless ways.

It showed the depth of his jealousy over Hesh's (outwardly) normal/peaceful life. In other words, he was revelling in Hesh's pain. When you consider that Hesh was someone that he once "loved like a father" this shows just how far Tony has sunk. He was "given a second chance at life" in the form of a near death experience, and he is squandering it by sinking deeper and deeper into a hell that is mostly of his own making.

I know some people are not crazy about this final mini-season, but I think David Chase is nothing short of a genius. Making Tony (and many other characters) even less sympathetic and likable to his/their most loyal fans? To me, that's an act of profound screenwriting courage. Everything is falling apart. No one is safe. And their collective desperation/envy/hatred/pettiness/selfishness/emotional ugliness is downright palpable. A "pretty" and/or "happy" ending was never even remotely possible for this group of murdering/thieving/lying characters, so Chase appears to be taking them all down, one by one, and not in a "blaze of glory."

-hopeful

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
This past week had Tony at his best and worst. He was trying to help AJ, but doing a bad job of it.

And Christopher ... I thought he'd finally made it to normalcy.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Holy cats. Who here saw last night's episode, "Kennedy and Heidi"?

SPOILER ALERT!!!

I absolutely didn't see this one coming.

Sure, they were leading up to something like this. But to have Tony be the one to actually do it? And like that? Was he doing him a favor -- that way he wouldn't suffer? Was he doing it because seeing how the baby would have died -- horribly, instantly -- sent him over the edge?

And what was up with him telling Melfi -- twice -- that he's murdered friends before? Doesn't she have an obligation to go to the FBI? I don't know what's covered by doctor/patient confidentiality; maybe it's only crimes ABOUT to happen, as opposed to those in past tense.

And poor AJ. He only thought he was depressed when Blanca left him. Now he's truly fucked up.

Anyone else think this is setting the way for AJ shooting his dad in the series finale, before offing himself?

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I absolutely didn't see this one coming.

Sure, they were leading up to something like this. But to have Tony be the one to actually do it? And like that? Was he doing him a favor -- that way he wouldn't suffer? Was he doing it because seeing how the baby would have died -- horribly, instantly -- sent him over the edge?

I didn't expect it either. I figured he'd eventually OD or get shot, but I never saw this one coming.

And what was up with him telling Melfi -- twice -- that he's murdered friends before? Doesn't she have an obligation to go to the FBI? I don't know what's covered by doctor/patient confidentiality; maybe it's only crimes ABOUT to happen, as opposed to those in past tense.

Well, the first time he was telling her, it was a dream. The second time, he didn't actually SAY he'd killed people, he just alluded to "taking care of things" and "seeing friends die." Tony's pretty cautious when it comes to what he actually says to Melfi.

I'm wondering where the AJ storyline is going. Could be setting him up to kill his father, but I'm not sure that's where it's headed. My money is on Paulie Walnuts doing something drastic in the last three episodes.

I nearly peed my pants when AJ sobbed, "Why can't we all just get along?"

Pisarz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharppenediting.com

The first time he told Dr. Melfi was in a dream sequence; the second time was for real, but he spoke of it as "I've seen friends murdered" and not "I killed so-and-so." NOTE: Cross-post with Patti.

Last edited:

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
You know, I thought the first Melfi scene ended abruptly, but I didn't realize it was a dream sequence. Very seamless. Thanks for the clarification.

And yeah, I've been waiting since Season 3 for Paulie to get what's coming to him. I have a sinking suspicion that he's going to make it through to the end -- because he's one of the characters I really loathe.

Speaking of loathing, Chase and Crew are doing a terrific job reminding us that these guys are all monsters, aren't they?

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
From HBO.com:

"Tony admits in a session with Melfi what he hasn't been able to tell anyone: that he's relieved. "The biggest blunder of my career is now gone and I don't have to be confronted by that fact no more," he says. But in fact, this session with Melfi is a dream."

Were BOTH Melfi sessions dreams? Or was this from the first Melfi sequence?

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Just the first one was a dream, the way I understood it. In the second, he was actually talking to her.

And I just love the way Dr. Melfi can say so much just by the look on her face. She's awesome.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
Wow. Only three episodes left. And there still seems like there's so much more to play out.

Does anyone know if the last episode is going to be of normal length? The Oz finale was two hours.

I'm curious if that whole "terrorism" plot is ever going to play out, and if so, how. They've been flirting with it for two seasons, and nothing has really come of it, unless it's all a big metaphor I'm not really grasping.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I wondered if it was a 'mercy killing' or if it was just a crime of opportunity. Still, my husband and i were shocked that it happened right at the beginning.

Who's the chick in Vegas? I don't recall her at all, but apparently she knew Christopher. And what exactly did Tony finally 'get" at the end?

Paulie---I've got mixed feelings about him. He's a sad character at the same time he's a loathesome character, like Vito was.

AJ--I never liked him and he isn't growing on me.

I'm traveling for business this Sunday and I've got to be in the hotel in time to watch Sunday's episode followed by the Tudors (basically, Rennaisance Sopranos).

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Two to go

Who thought AJ would succeed? Not me.

And for the record, Tony's "historically speaking" line to Melfi about AJ was hysterical.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Tonite's episode actually brought a tear to my eye. I've always despised AJ, but he was heartbreaking.

Kudos to Tony for the guy at the restaurant.