Describe Your Computer & Writing Tools

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com
I use an eMachines desktop and a Toshiba Satellite notebook, both with Windows XP , and am in the market for a new desktop, but don't want Windows Vista because it's not compatible with Dragon Naturally Speaking, a word recognition program that is helpful for transcribing old journals, letters, and notes I tape record while I am doing long distance driving. I write with Microsoft Word. What do you use and what do you think are the best writing tools?

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I use a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop with XP (stay away from Vista!!), and write using MS Word or WritewayPro. I also use a free notebook I got at school and a biodegradable blue pen I'm tempted to eat every now and then 'cause it's made of corn fiber instead of plastic, which makes it yummy :)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use an AlphaSmart Neo to keep myself off the internet as much as possible when writing. Everything then gets uploaded onto my Mac G3, running OS 10.2.8, and into either Z-Write, which is a really good rudimentary word processor or Microsquash Word for formatting. I also have various notebooks, pens, and highlighters for manual work. So much easier to save a file!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a pretty new Dell Dimension desktop--deliberately without Windows Vista, which was too new to be anything approaching bug-free when I got it. I write with Word 2003.

I rarely use anything else, although once in a while I wish I had a laptop, too. And a pony.

Maryn, wishful thinker

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com
Do you like the Mac, BenP? I hear they come with good movie editing software installed but that many of the general softwares available in stores are not as extensive for Macs as they are for PCs. What do you think?

Also, are there certain writing softwares that are required or preferred by editors or publishers?

Polly

rubarbb

Serenity
Registered
Reaction score
I have a Micron PC with Windows XP home addition. I write in Microsoft Word and cary a voice activated recorder with me in case something pops into my head. I use this not only for writing, but for many things.

Reaction score
I have a desktop and a laptop. I just plug them in and press the 'on' button. Apart from that I don't know much about the components beyond memory and RAM.

I also indulge in a bit of nostalgia on occasion, with the noble pen and paper.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I also indulge in a bit of nostalgia on occasion, with the noble pen and paper.

More than nostalgia, I've found that I write better when I use pen and paper than when on a laptop. Also, when handwriting, the ideas never stop flowing. I guess it's because I type way too fast and my brain can't really catch up with my fingers. But I write real slow, so my brain has time to flesh each sentence out as I write.

abemorgantis

Zizban
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I use a Mac Mini running Mac OS X 10.4.9. I write with Mellel. Sometimes I'll use my Sun Blade 100 to write on FrameMaker, the document maker of kings.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What do you use and what do you think are the best writing tools?

What I use: Dell Inspiron laptop 9300

What are the best writing tools? My brain. Oh, I guess that's not plural. Okay, my brain and my easily-numbed ass.

Elincoln

Official Daydreamer of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lincolnfj.com
I had an office of tools at home (which I'm not there at this time). Right now I got my Dell XPS Labtop with wifi capabilities which is finally being used again because I hooked my dad up with a wireless router. I run Microsoft Office 05 and still believe that MS Word is the best word processor out there.

For editing, I go with an old standard: a real paper-N-pen notebook, several 3-hole punch binders stuffed with the chapters of novels or serials/short stories, a bag full of reference books, and a red pen. It's easier for me to scratch out changes than it is to look at it on a screen.

For printing, I have a ML2250 Samsung Laser Printer. B&W only, since I don't do many things in color.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
My computer is a Compaq Presario ('05) with Windows XP and Microsoft Works Word Processor. I actually don't have regular Word, which can be a pain sometimes. I can save as .doc but I can't open anything in that format, blarg. I do have Notepad and Wordpad as last resorts, though. ;)

~DragonHeart~

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I have a Toshiba Satellite notebook computer which I love so much I wouldn't give it up for a million bucks. Okay, maybe for a million but not much less than that! :) I do all my writing with Microsoft Word.

I also have an 8 year old Compaq Presario desktop that I rarely even turn on anymore...even though it runs just fine.

Both computers run Windows XP, though the Compaq came with whatever that Windows was that came out before XP...I can't remember the name. But I eventually upgraded to XP, even though I had no problems with the other Windows.

And I have lots of spiral notebooks of various sizes because I like to write by hand sometimes.

Last edited:

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I use a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop with netgear wireless connection to cable. I have a HP Pavillion desktop which I just don't use anymore. I have an HP 4050 laser printer (my wife's printer is a step up), and an Epson Action photo color printer.

My wife's Dell Optiplex is so loaded, I doubt norad has anything better, but she needs the computing capacity. I'm not allowed near her laptop right now, but I hope to inherit it (like my current laptop) when she gets her next research grant.

All windows xp with microsoft word.

I still hand write all first drafts, though.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I'm on an i-Friend laptop, XP Home, 120Mb (barely enough), 20Gb (almost full), 4 years old, unsupported. I use an external keyboard which is maybe why the laptop has lasted so long.

Mind you, the fan stopped working a few weeks ago so I cracked open the back of the unit, stuck in a couple of wooden blocks to give a permanent half-inch gap, and put one of those little battery fans behind the laptop (I've got 4 batteries recharging now, ready to swap over as soon as the fan runs down). The laptop itself is sitting on a metal plate that acts as a heatsink, and the plate is supported by a couple of wooden blocks. Très chic. Reminds me of a garage workshop.

For writing I mostly use Notepad2 a freebie replacement plain text editor for Windows' ever-quirky Notepad. A Verdana 17 font suits my tired old eyes, and the permanent background color is a soothing duck egg green. I've got a bunch of Windows shortcuts set up and accessible via the Start menu that let me select WIP txt files with just a couple of keystrokes. (Since I only have 2 hands, and they're usually typing, I don't like using the touchpad or mouse unless I have to. Future generations of humans will doubtless evolve a third arm for this specific purpose.)

I've been looking at buying a replacement laptop since this one can't last forever -- last week I left the room, and came back 5 minutes later to discover that the fan batteries had run down and the laptop was close to meltdown mode, I could feel the heat from the doorway! -- but every damn machine on sale has Vista aboard, and I refuse to upgrade. Worst comes to worst I'll buy a second-hand desktop.

Thank you, carry on.

-Derek

Last edited:

ScarlettLeopard

Registered
Reaction score
I have a two year old Toshiba Sattellite that goes everywhere with me. Its missing the right arrow key and the batter gave up the ghost earlier this year. I use microsoft office 2003 but google has a nice little word processor in their members section.

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
elodie.the.writer.tripod.com
I have a Fujitsu Siemens desktop, which is just over a year old and an Ei-Systems laptop, which is around 3 and-a-half yrs old. Both of which I use MS Word to do my writing with.

Elodie

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
My computer is a Dell Inspiron 8100 with XP Pro. However, most people here know I use it only for play-time. My writing tool of choice is my Royal Quiet De Luxe manual typewriter.

Sometimes I will use my computer for final drafts, however. In such cases I have an HP Deskjet 5940 inkjet printer and Jarte Basic as my word processor.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
I write with a writing stick and a pad of tree. I mean pen and paper.

Oh, electric writing.
I've got an oldish 2ghz desktop built with my own two hands from blood sweat and tears. well, from components, but you see what I mean. As close to out of date as it is, I still like it. How many computers do you know with a cigarette lighter built in?

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I write with a writing stick and a pad of tree. I mean pen and paper.

Oh, electric writing.
I've got an oldish 2ghz desktop built with my own two hands from blood sweat and tears. well, from components, but you see what I mean. As close to out of date as it is, I still like it. How many computers do you know with a cigarette lighter built in?

2 Gigs? That sounds a lot nicer than my 1.2 Gig P3 ... unless the name 'Celeron' appears somewhere within your machine, I think you're pretty much safe on the performance side.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you like the Mac, BenP? I hear they come with good movie editing software installed but that many of the general softwares available in stores are not as extensive for Macs as they are for PCs. What do you think?

Also, are there certain writing softwares that are required or preferred by editors or publishers?

Polly
I think the G3 is a decent machine. Mind you, they're up to G5 and beyond now, so this is an older one. It does what I need it to with minimal trouble.

As far as software goes, I'm generally not in the market. Most of it won't run on mine and a lot I don't need, but the Apple stores carry a decent selection. You can generally find what you want.

I've seen requests for electronic submissions using Microsoft Word, but if you don't have that, check the submission requirements for alternate methods.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also if you see submission requirements demanding MS Word, know that there are people who can convert it for you and email it back as an attachment.

I have an obscenely large hard drive [insert ribald joke here] and could hold somebody's fat novel, easy.

Maryn, helpful type

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score
Dell Inspiron 600m laptop circa 2004. Microsoft Word 2003.

For ultra portable writing, a MobilePro 790 I bought off of eBay. I love that thing. It uses Pocket Word, but I just save the files in rtf format and drop them into my existing documents.

I have done a lot of writing on work computers, which usually have that standard Dell keyboard and whatnot.

I kind of miss the keyboard and everything on my old Wall Street G3 powerbook. I still keep it around but don't really write on it.