Quote for discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

veingloree

"Writing erotica is great practice for other kinds of writing because it’s so clear where you want to end up. All you have to do is invent how you’re going to get there. I think we’re hard-wired to scheme ways of getting to sexual union. Erotica may be the template for all story plots. "
-------------------------------------------------------

thoughts?

nolabohemian

I would disagree with this to an extent. The author seems to suggest that it is easy to write erotica, but that is far from the truth. The climax is not always the climax, so to speak, and it is very difficult to think of new and interesting ways to describe the act of sex itself.

In addition, the point isn't always about sex. I'm reading de Sade's "Justine" right now for the first time. While it may be categorized as erotica, and there is a lot of sex, his plot is not driven by sex, his focus is not on sex, but rather the struggle between vice and virtue. He uses sex as a way to illustrate the degradation of society during his time. Other authors have done the same.

To conclude, erotica is not only about "where you end up" and the story of how the characters ended up there. There can be, and (in my view) should be much more to it.

Writing Again

The three act structure itself, the basic staple of all story telling, has been compared with the sex act.

The first act: setup, is described as getting the protagonist into trouble so as to arouse the interest of the reader: In other words, foreplay.

The second act adds friction, conflict, and gradually increasing tension as excitement builds. There is often a short pause before action resumes with greater intensity.

The third act is called the climax where everything comes together in an exciting finish that satisfies the reader.

veingloree

I guess i needed a better quote? It stuck out to me in the first place as a contrast with the idea that erotica isn't proper writing at all...

ncq13

I think that people under estimate how difficult it is to write good romance and erotica. It is about so much more than sex and bodice ripping, readers get bored of that after the first few novels they read. You need to be able to develop your characters, have strong plots, believable worlds, and the right amount of sizzle.

When I think of romance and erotica, I think entertainment. I think about how I can pour into a novel and disappear for a while; lose myself in a great story that has a whole lot of spice. I want to feel the main characters fears, desires, and pain without dealing with names that I can't pronounce or multi-level political dilemmas ( I get enough of that in real life).

When I sit down to write, I aim for what I enjoy reading. I'm not aiming for a timeless tale of some Hobbit's exploits (unless the Hobbit is hot). Does that make erotica/romance less than another genre? I don't personally think so, but there is definitely that widespread perception.

~Kate

nolabohemian

Other purposes as well...

Let's not overlook erotica as social commentary, satirical treatment, catalyst for change...

maestrowork

Re: Other purposes as well...

Erotica is never just about the sex. It's about characters, situations, relationships, and desires. The best erotica stories are those who make you hot and bother without actually describing the actual sex acts.

ncq13

The best erotica stories are those who make you hot and bother without actually describing the actual sex acts.

ABSOLUTELY!

maestrowork

I think it was Stephen King who said this. Every story should tap into our primal feelings (fear, love, etc.) and that includes sexual desires. Thus in a way, every story is about sex, at least in part. You said, what? Lord of the Rings is not about sex... well, think about it (we can all write a thesis on it, too)...

Erotica is the materialization of that sexual energy in all stories into something that is actually sexual. But like any other kinds of stories, if you can tap into the other primal emotions such as fear, love, hunger... you'll have a very compelling story.

Status
Not open for further replies.