Booker winners list

Reaction score
A few comments in another thread prompted this. I said Booker winners tend to be worthy and a damn hard slog...and was shocked when I realised how few I'd read, although I have managed to get through a few shortlisted novels and many longlisted ones.

I also think that in recent years the Bookers have tended to be for bodies of work rather than individual novels. What say you and how many have you read?

2006 - Kiran Desai, The Inheritance of Loss
2005 - John Banville, The Sea
2004 - Alan Hollinghurst, The Line of Beauty
2003 - DBC Pierre, Vernon God Little
2002 - Yann Martel, Life of Pi
2001 - Peter Carey, True History of the Kelly Gang
2000 - Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin
1999 - J M Coetzee, Disgrace
1998 - Ian McEwan, Amsterdam
1997 - Arundhati Roy, The God of Small Things
1996 - Graham Swift, Last Orders
1995 - Pat Barker, The Ghost Road
1994 - James Kelman, How Late It Was, How Late
1993 - Roddy Doyle, Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha
1992 - Michael Ondaatje, The English Patient
1992 - Barry Unsworth, Sacred Hunger
1991 - Ben Okri, The Famished Road
1990 - A S Byatt, Possession
1989 - Kazuo Ishiguro, The Remains of the Day
1988 - Peter Carey, Oscar and Lucinda
1987 - Penelope Lively, Moon Tiger
1986 - Kingsley Amis, The Old Devils
1985 - Keri Hulme, The Bone People
1984 - Anita Brookner, Hotel du Lac
1983 - J M Coetzee, Life & Times of Michael K
1982 - Thomas Keneally, Schindler's Ark
1981 - Salman Rushdie, Midnight's Children
1980 - William Golding, Rites of Passage
1979 - Penelope Fitzgerald, Offshore
1978 - Iris Murdoch, The Sea, the Sea
1977 - Paul Scott, Staying On
1976 - David Storey, Saville
1975 - Ruth Prawer Jhabvala, Heat and Dust
1974 - Nadine Gordimer, The Conservationist
1974 - Stanley Middleton, Holiday
1973 - J G Farrell, The Siege of Krishnapur
1972 - John Berger, G
1971 - V S Naipaul, In a Free State
1970 - Bernice Rubens, The Elected Member
1969 - P H Newby, Something to Answer For

Reaction score
Here's a list of all shortlisted novels as well.

Shocking. I've only read one winner (1989's of course) and three shortlisted novels (Knowledge of Angels - Jill Paton Walsh, Notes on a Scandal - Zoe Heller and Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro).

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I've read a few on the list, my favorite being Martel's Life of Pi.

Also:

Pat Barker, JM Coetzee, Ian McEwan.

Actually, I should fess up: I never finished McEwan's Amsterdam. Nor could I finish McEwan's Atonement. McEwan is one of those writers who is critically acclaimed and I never could figure out exactly why. I bought Atonement after it became everybody's darling and couldn't get through the first 10 pages. Then I tried to give it another go by buying it on tape, and just... couldn't...get ...past... the... fact... that... the... narrator... is... so... young... and... uses... such... big... words... And she's so damn boring.

So, so boring.

And then I bought Saturday, and couldn't keep my eyes open past page 3.

Anyway, was that a rant?

Will Lavender

Registered
Reaction score
Off-thread, but my favorite British writer is Rupert Thomson. His The Book of Revelation is one of the strangest, most haunting novels I've ever read.

Reaction score
Anyone who's finished an Atwood novel deserves a rep-point in return for their sheer masochism.

Will Lavender

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who's finished an Atwood novel deserves a rep-point in return for their sheer masochism.

I always wanted to read Atwood's Oryx and Crake. Stephen King, in an issue of Entertainment Weekly last year, said that that book was one of his favorite audio books.

But I can't find it here in Kentucky!

(And, truthfully, I don't listen to audio books very much.)

Penguin Queen

Break the rules.
Registered
Reaction score
Cardiff. Berlin. Mars. (One day.) Buenos Aires, so
Website
www.herrad.net
Funny, I obviously went through a Booker winners phase, and since then, almost nothing, with one exception. For teh past five years (!!) Ive been meaning to read The Life of Pi. At this rate, I will lie on my deathbed, draw a long, laborious breath while everybody around me draws nearer in anticipation of my last, famous etc words. And they will be, Damn. I've still not read "The Life of Pi."

I have, however, read the follwing:

1997 - Arundhati Roy, The God of Small Things
1991 - Ben Okri, The Famished Road
1990 - A S Byatt, Possession
1987 - Penelope Lively, Moon Tiger

The God of Small Things, IMO, is one of the best books. Ever. Wonderful, glorious stuff. Orgasmic, as a friend of mine would say.

licity-lieu

drying and defragging...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.librarything.com
I love Atwood-yay! I've read Handmaiden's Tale, Alias Grace, Blind Assassin and one other I cant remember-Cat's Eye-I think. I got into her at uni when we had to read one of her short stories for Lit. Everyone I know says the same thing-how do you read that? I dont exactly know why I like her. I guess it's the risks she takes and the strange world she creates for her equally strange characters. Also- great list Scarletpeaches! I'm feelin' inspired to work my way through it coz I've only read four: Life of Pie, Blind Assassin, Possession and the Bone People . I loved them all except Possesion which I had to drag myself through (and maybe skipped bits too:tongue ). A confession: cannot face God of Small Things or Vernon God Little, both of which I have on my shelf but cant read. Why, Why Whyyyyyyyyyy......? Also I have tried to read The Sea. I'm usually up for flowery prose but this one...well...?

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
It's interesting who's not on the list, and although I'm not so up on what she's been doing lately the stand-out ommission to me is Jeanette Winterson. I'll bet she's been short-listed at least once.

Reaction score
Oh, more than once I think. She's another author I've never read! Whoops...

Will Lavender

Registered
Reaction score
Funny, I obviously went through a Booker winners phase, and since then, almost nothing, with one exception. For teh past five years (!!) Ive been meaning to read The Life of Pi. At this rate, I will lie on my deathbed, draw a long, laborious breath while everybody around me draws nearer in anticipation of my last, famous etc words. And they will be, Damn. I've still not read "The Life of Pi."

Oh no. You HAVE to read Life of Pi. One of my favorites. My wife loved it, too.

She tried to get a group of voracious readers at the high school where she teaches to read it, but they all gave up (seriously, every one of them gave up) after the first 50 pages.

But don't let that fool you. The first 50-75 pages, while not the most action-packed, are completely essential to understanding that book. When he gets out on that boat, however, it becomes truly unputdownable.

Go out and buy it. Now. :)

Flay

Registered
Reaction score
Umm.... At a quick count, I've read 85 of the shortlisted books, including 22 of the winners. Should I feel a little freakish about admitting that? (Or about bothering to count?)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I've read 4 winners and 11 off the short list. I might have to get down to reading some more of those. How long will it be before they acknowledge Rohinton Mistry with a win? Just how good does he need to be, since he's already a genius?

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I've read several Atwood novels -- the extremely well-crafted Cat's Eye, The Handmaid's Tale, The Robber Bride and Alias Grace just for starters -- and I'm no masochist. So hit me with those rep points, please.

The Lady

Critical Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theladywolf.livejournal.com
Yup, I want the rep points too. Read and loved Alias Grace. Wasn't overly impressed with The Handmaids Tale but I finished it. I may have read Cat's Eye. It sounds familiar.
Am I confusing her with some one else, or does she also write under the name Barbara Vine?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I've read, and even enjoyed <gasp> Margaret Atwood. The Handmaid's Tale, The Robber Bride, and Oryx and Crake, which is actually a fantastic novel.

Flay

Registered
Reaction score
Am I confusing her with some one else, or does she also write under the name Barbara Vine?
That would be Ruth Rendell, who (though her modifiers sometimes dangle in unseemly fashion) can write rings around Atwood.

Flay

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I've read, and even enjoyed <gasp> Margaret Atwood. The Handmaid's Tale, The Robber Bride, and Oryx and Crake, which is actually a fantastic novel.
I've read the first, & half of the second, & none of the third. You do know what the best part of beating your head against a brick wall is, right?

You're dead right about Mistry, though.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I've read the first, & half of the second, & none of the third. You do know what the best part of beating your head against a brick wall is, right?

You're dead right about Mistry, though.
The problem is, Flay, Oryx and Crake is completely different from anything else she's written. My husband, who enjoys Dan Brown, Tom Clancy, Ken Follett, et al. LOVED Oryx and Crake. Get it from the library so you don't have to pay, and give it a go. You might be surprised (if you like it, I'm sure you will be).

Thanks for agreeing about Mistry. And I adore Vancouver Island. I might be in your neck of the woods this summer!

Kay_XX

Registered
Reaction score

I think she's a fantastic writer, The Cat's Eye, Onyx and Crake, The Blind Assassin, The Robber Bride.. all great books in my opinion. I've read all of her work (yes, even Survival) and while some of it didn't make me scream with excitement, I do apprecciate her skill and the books mentioned above are among my favourite books.

As for the rest of the Booker list... I've read Coetzee's Michael K, Roy, Ishiguro, Swift, Rushdie, Carey's Oscar and Lucinda, but can't say any of them are among my favourite novels of all time.

Flay

Registered
Reaction score
The problem is, Flay, Oryx and Crake is completely different from anything else she's written. My husband, who enjoys Dan Brown, Tom Clancy, Ken Follett, et al. LOVED Oryx and Crake. Get it from the library so you don't have to pay, and give it a go. You might be surprised (if you like it, I'm sure you will be).

Thanks for agreeing about Mistry. And I adore Vancouver Island. I might be in your neck of the woods this summer!
Thanks for that, CaroGirl. I think I actually have a copy, somewhere among the strata of unread & half-read books, & if one of the periodic bookslides brings it to the surface, I'll remember your recommendation.

We have summer on the Island? Ah, you must mean slightly-less-rainy season. I hope you enjoy your visit, & remember to bring your gumboots.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
The trouble is...

the runners up are often better.

I have read or attempted these.
2002 - Yann Martel, Life of Pi
2001 - Peter Carey, True History of the Kelly Gang
2000 - Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin
http://www.themanbookerprize.com/about/previous/19991997 - Arundhati Roy, The God of Small Things
http://www.themanbookerprize.com/about/previous/19961993 - Roddy Doyle, Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha
1992 - Michael Ondaatje, The English Patient
http://www.themanbookerprize.com/about/previous/19921990 - A S Byatt, Possession
http://www.themanbookerprize.com/about/previous/19881987 - Penelope Lively, Moon Tiger
1986 - Kingsley Amis, The Old Devils
1984 - Anita Brookner, Hotel du Lac
http://www.themanbookerprize.com/about/previous/19831982 - Thomas Keneally, Schindler's Ark
1981 - Salman Rushdie, Midnight's Children
1980 - William Golding, Rites of Passage
1979 - Penelope Fitzgerald, Offshore
1978 - Iris Murdoch, The Sea, the Sea
http://www.themanbookerprize.com/about/previous/19771974 - Nadine Gordimer, The Conservationist
http://www.themanbookerprize.com/about/previous/1974Carey, Atwood, Ondaatje, Byatt, Lively, Brookner, Golding, Hulme, Fitzgerald, Murdoch, and Gordimer I finished and enjoyed.

Penelope Lively and Fitzgerald have been producing quality fiction for years and it was good to see them finally rewarded.