Why do they like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diviner

Registered
Reaction score
I am reading my story aloud to my writing group, who seem to enjoy it. They like the history bits and don't mind tells in the least, but the things they seem to like best are the things almost completely made up, not so much lies as truths I can't research about characters who are inventions. Is this typical? What kinds of things do readers enjoy most in historical fiction or does it vary widely from reader to reader?

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
People enjoy things that make the story feel real.

We may know from historical research that a barn stood on a certain site. That's not interesting. It's a boring fact.

What's interesting is the way it used to smell; the slippery dark wood; the day you walked out there and found a big old snake laying in the tub.

One hundred years ago, those things probably all happened. But we don't know for sure. We made them up. All we really know for sure is where the barn stood and we have a rough photo from 1888.

It's the little things (that almost HAVE to be made up, but are based upon what can be known) that would make that kind of tale interesting. I guess that's why well written historical novels outsell dry history tomes.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
What johnrobinson said.

When we write historical fiction, it's like looking through a telescope the wrong way around. The main, undisputed facts are there but we are the ones who add the flowers and shadows, and make it a 3-D read.

This is from someone who also enjoys reading those dry history tomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.