moist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leowriter

Anyone ever submit to "Moist" magazine? I sent them two submissions about a month ago. I always wonder--so what takes them so long--what's so hard? Either it's not suitable and they don't want it, or it fits their fancy and they'll take it. They did send me a verification apparently personally written, not just a form, that they received the stories.

I'm used to not getting replies for weeks at a time because I've been freelancing for so long. but now-a-days, through email, my rejections (and occasional acceptances) usually come a lot faster.

My problem with "Moist" is that I sent to them exclusively. (Although they didn't request an exclusive--I just did anyway and opened my big mouth, oops--I mean my big pen, or oops again--my nimble fingers, and happily mentioned it in my cover letter.) I'm about ready to submit elsewhere and say heck with the exclusive malarky.

What do you guys think?

aka eraser

What do their guidelines say is their average response time? A month isn't at all unusual. If they don't state the average response time on their guidelines I'd wait at least two more weeks before sending a polite follow up.

I wish more mags at least sent the receipt acknowledgement. Chances are they're swamped with subs and just haven't gotten around to yours yet.

Leowriter

Thanks aka,

Yeah--I appreciate Moist's acknowledgment of receipt too. It beats wondering if they ever even got it. Now I just have to wonder how close it's getting to the top of the slush pile.
I don't know what makes me think writing for the erotic market should be any different than writing for mainstream markets.

Moist's guidelines said three-four weeks. I wouldn't really care so much, except I'm wishing I hadn't offered them an exclusive, because now, ethically, I probably shouldn't submit elsewhere. Or I can, but then I'd most likely lose a potential "regular contributor" connection. They said when they find writers they like, they like to establish an on-going working relationship with them.

I'll probably wait at least another week though, before I submit elsewhere.

Anyone else ever have issues regarding an exclusive clause?

aka eraser

You can get yourself off the ethical hook if, when you follow up in a week or so, you say something like: "Should I not hear back in _____ (insert comfy-for-you timeline) I'll assume you're hip-deep in submissions and will sim-sub my story elsewhere. Thanks for your time and consideration etc."

I certainly understand you not wanting to burn any bridges and your language will have to be diplomatic. But put it in context: you're talking about one story to one mag. If nothing else you've learned not to use the "e" word when subbing.

I still think it's more than likely you'll hear back from them before too much longer. I'd try to forget about it for another week or two and work on something else.

Hope it works out for you.

KatYares

Hubby subbed to Moist on June 1st and received his rejection on July 15 - so that was about 6 weeks. Which is pretty much standard for any genre market.

Be patient, Liam is wonderful to deal with and I'm sure has been overwhelmed getting the second issue out.

Blessings
Kat

Leowriter

yeah--I know: patience patience patience. (I should practice what I preach.)

*Liam is wonderful to deal with...*

What's been your experience in dealings with Liam, Kat? (Just curious.)
I also didn't realize they've only been around for not even two issues. That does make a difference. I'm sure they are overwhelmed.

KatYares

When we purchased the first issue of Moist, everything went smooth and we recieved it quickly and fell in love with it.

The second issue, he had some major problems with - mostly getting it printed and so was delayed. He was very quick to reply to my queries about when we would recieve it. And once we got it, it was well worth the wait.

Moist is upscale and at least for us a mag we don't have to hide from our grown children. Most of the time it sits on the coffee table. :)

Blessings
Kat

veingloree

Hmm. I never sum-sub my stuff but then I don't depend on the income so it doesn't bother me to take a bit more time.

Leowriter

you got it veingloree:

I love my job
I love my job
I love my job
I need the money

Actually, I too prefer not to sub simultaneously, but sometimes it makes sense--especially with timely/seasonal pieces.

Leo

pepperlandgirl

six weeks

I submitted on July 15 and got my rejection Sep 1. That's about six weeks.

Hey, four weeks is nothing. I submitted to Ellora's Cave on April 19 and I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

lena matthews

pepperlandgirl

really, that might be a good sign, i submitted july 17 and got my rejection in sept, so maybe that means that their still considering it.

Status
Not open for further replies.