8 books for 8 dollars...how did I do?

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I might actually like any of these. I'm picking fairly blind. They are all brand new hardbacks with sleeves. :)

Silent Night by Mary Higgins Clark

He Sees You When You're Sleeping by Mary Higgins Clark

Before I Say Goodbye by Mary Higgins Clark

The First Horseman by John Case

Needful Things by Stephen King (already read this one)

Garden of Shadows by V.C. Andrews

White Star by James Thayer

1'st To Die by James Patterson

Well.....did I get any good ones?

Reaction score
For that price, and I'm no good with exchange rates, I'd say you got a bargain. Let's face it, even if you only enjoy one of those books it's not bad...even some magazines these days are more than eight dollars.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
Donde Esta Casa De Pepe?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Aaaaand back on topic...

Most of the books on that list are entertaining reads. Quick, but they kill time.

That's my opinion.

*ahem*

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
8 hard covers for 8 dollars? That's a bargain even if most of them aren't that good - which I doubt is the case, though I'm not much help either, sadly. Like you I've only read King's, but that alone is usually at least $8 as a hard cover in the used book stores in my area.
I think I'm jealous. :)

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I was told by a fellow writer once that John Case is tremendous, but I've never read him.

Doesn't matter, though. Anytime you can get a book for a buck, it's a good buy. They'll look good on the shelf, anyway.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
Misery and The Dark Half last week for a buck each. :)

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
That's it, I'm moving to Georgia. Everyone up here thinks a used book is a damned antique. Rrrrr.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
I remember reading V.C. Andrews as a teen but can't remember what I read. :)

Reaction score
Quick rundown of every VC Andrews book:

Girl grows up in dysfunctional family. A parent dies. Her brother rapes her. She moves away. Someone else rapes her. She moves back home. Has her brother's baby. Dies in a car crash. The End.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
Quick rundown of every VC Andrews book:

Girl grows up in dysfunctional family. A parent dies. Her brother rapes her. She moves away. Someone else rapes her. She moves back home. Has her brother's baby. Dies in a car crash. The End.

LOL, your freaking cheery you know? :whip:

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Flowers in the Attic? I read that as a teen - my introduction to parental abuse and incestuous sex. Quite an eye-opener for a 14-year old. :)
Isn't most of her stuff ghostwritten (is that a verb?) now? I thought I remembered hearing that, but I may be way off base.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't most of her stuff ghostwritten (is that a verb?) now? I thought I remembered hearing that, but I may be way off base.

I know a man named Andrew Neiderman wrote some of them.

Neiderman is most famous for his novels Pin (which was turned into a pretty freaky movie) and The Devil's Advocate, which was the basis for the Pacino/Reaves film.

The problem with ghostwriting like this is that VC Andrews is still billed as the author. The same thing is happening now with the novels of Robert Ludlum. I wish publishing companies wouldn't do this: it's false advertising at its filthiest.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
IThe problem with ghostwriting like this is that VC Andrews is still billed as the author. The same thing is happening now with the novels of Robert Ludlum. I wish publishing companies wouldn't do this: it's false advertising at its filthiest.

I don't know much about ghostwriting, but I tend to agree. It seems like a rip-off.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I'd say you got a pretty good deal. One of my local used bookstores has a shelf out front that offers FREE books - usually when they get twenty copies of something, they put five outside. I grabbed one on the way out because it was one of those three-book thingies with a Dick Francis book as the first one.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I paid more than 8 bucks for 1st To Die, and it was a great read...I say you got a great deal.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Great deal. I like Clark and King. You can't go wrong with any of those selections.

Nolita

Registered
Reaction score
Hehehe, the secret is, to sell the books you don't like. You'll make a profit. I find hardcovers in freeboxes all the time. A freebox is just a box full of stuff someone can't be arsed to haul away themself.

"Why would you dig through a box of someone else's crap?"

Simple. First things first I grab all the good looking books I can carry. I bring them home and flip through the pages(sometimes money falls out, books are a favorite hiding place for money). Then I sort through and decide what to keep.

After all that, whenever I'm strapped for cash, I schlep the books I don't want, to three different used bookstores. It doesn't make me rich, but it does pay for creative fuel(coffee & cigarettes). Generally I can make $10 - $40 pure profit and the bookstores pay in cash. Plus I get lots of free reading material.

Your books are bestsellers. Hard to sell to a new/used bookstore(they're trying to get rid of the ones they already have). Sell the ones you don't want/like online. They should go for at least 5 times what you paid for them.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
You are probably signing up for a subscription deal that is hard to get out of, read the fine print carefully about how long you have to stay in the book club after joining.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
RT, I say you got a good deal.