PDA

View Full Version : If a teen boy could do anything he wanted...

Melanie Nilles
04-29-2007, 12:00 AM
This is a question for all you guys. In writing a story that involves magic, I have a teen MC who has a p-t job (to pay for his car, games, etc.--yes, his parents taught him responsibility) and inherits a godlike magic which manifests at the start of his senior year. It allows him to do just about anything he can will to happen (of course he has to learn how to use this power).

My question to you guys is this...If you could make anything happen when you were/are a senior in high school, what would you want to do?

You can PM me your answers or post them here.

Thanks!

Silver King
04-29-2007, 02:21 AM
If you could make anything happen when you were/are a senior in high school, what would you want to do?
The cheerleaders at my school would not have been safe in my presence.

Haggis
04-29-2007, 03:03 AM
...If you could make anything happen when you were/are a senior in high school, what would you want to do?

That little blond girl I met when I was a freshman.

scarletpeaches
04-29-2007, 03:08 AM
I'm guessing it would have something to do with Britney Spears and a stick of rhubarb.

MarkEsq
04-29-2007, 04:44 PM
See, all three responses so far have to do with sex. If you want a truly accurate representation of what teenage boys want, then the next ten replies will need to be about sex, too. Then maybe a fast car. But a fast car is pretty much about getting sex, so... :Shrug:

Maryn
04-29-2007, 06:04 PM
I'm not a guy, but our son was that age not all that long ago. His choices would have been sex with the chosen girl(s) (not the cheerleaders but the dark edgy types, the goths and punks, etc.) and to be a rock god as lead guitarist and lead singer, with admission to the right college a distant third.

He didn't care about hot cars at all, and still doesn't.

Maryn, whose little boy grew up

waylander
04-29-2007, 06:20 PM
Success at some sport might get in there too, but I agree girls would feature highly

Elektra
04-29-2007, 06:45 PM
Yes, but isn't the wish for hot cars/sport prowess really just another way to get girls?

Parkinsonsd
04-29-2007, 07:07 PM
Well, start it off by analyzing what's happening to him.
Physiologically, you're going through these major rushes of testosterone, you find yourself strangely aroused by anything with a pulse, you've got hair and zits all over the place, you find yourself strangely aroused by anything with a pulse, you have a mass of insecurities, you find yourself strangely aroused by anything with a pulse, you've probably just gotten into a gawky growth stage, and you find yourself strangely aroused by anything with a pulse.

I don't really think I missed anything there.

trumancoyote
04-29-2007, 07:30 PM
Certainly for me it would have been the unrivaled admiration of all the sweet old ladies at church. That was my dream in high school. And if magic could make it happen, then so be it.

Oh, and my hot English teacher'd have been walking bull-legged for a week.

A-hem.

wyzguy
04-29-2007, 07:32 PM
I think I would have wanted to try some outrageously HUGE test of my power. Moving a pyramid to Wyoming or something like that. If I could do that, then I knew I would be ready for the ultimate challenge: convincing a girl I was cool.

waylander
04-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Yes, but isn't the wish for hot cars/sport prowess really just another way to get girls?

The hot car maybe, but some boys really are into their sports. I was.

Zoombie
04-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Being a teenager, I'd still like a hover car. And I'd be kidding myself if sex wasn't far from my mind, but lets just assume the sex is taken care off. After, before and possibly during the sex, I'd enjoy:

A better computer. A magically better computer!
To lose weight and get mucles without having to work at it.
To be able to fly without mechanical intervention.
And, finnaly, to have a holodeck.

Come on...who dosn't want a holodeck every once and a while?

trumancoyote
04-29-2007, 09:02 PM
Ooh, also! I always wanted to be able to make people piss their pants and puke (and a variety of other, erm, bodily functions) by just pointing at them, if that helps at all.

WerenCole
04-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Make a border collie speak english.

Soccer Mom
04-29-2007, 10:25 PM
I'm just guess the real question is not WHAT would he do, but WHO would he do.

Just my .02.

Haggis
04-29-2007, 10:32 PM
I'm just guess the real question is not WHAT would he do, but WHO would he do.

Just my .02.

Bingo.

Nyna
04-30-2007, 04:48 AM
My little brother's about that age. The idea of him with endless power will probably give me nightmares -- and he's a good kid, really.

He'd probably tend towards: Sex. Concert tickets. A cool car. The ability to drive. More sex. Drugs. Alcohol. More concert tickets. More sex. Good grades -- without having to ever actually go to class. For my parents to never give him shit about anything. To get out of summer school. A lot of money. And then, uh, more sex, drugs, and concert tickets.

It's not really a very complicated life he leads.

...Actually, while he would probably go for all of that first, he would then undoubtedly want to step in and help out my mother and stepfather with their legal troubles, my father with his relationship troubles, all of us with any financial troubles, my sister with her dental troubles... I can't imagine, even with ultimate power, he would do a good job of helping out, but he would certainly try. It would be like a really hilarious 'Emma.'

As for me at that age, I probably wouldn't have noticed. I wasn't a very cool teenager.

Tsu Dho Nimh
04-30-2007, 04:59 AM
My roomie, the engineer is asking:

How precise will he have to be with these "urges"?

Melanie Nilles
04-30-2007, 06:26 AM
Okay, so anything specific (other than sex) would deal with seeing girls naked, like being able to be invisible in the girl's lockerroom, for instance?

I think I see where these answers are going...Uh, huh. Yup. And you guys don't really change much as you get older, do you ? ;) Just fewer zits and more freedom to get sex? :tongue

Zoombie
04-30-2007, 06:39 AM
Oh if I had godlike powers, I'd want to try out being a girl for a bit. I've always wondered what it was like :D

Monkey
04-30-2007, 07:21 AM
I have a teenage son...

Yes, he'd go for the obvious. He'd also like to be "really ripped", or so he tells me. I think this just links right back in to that whole "sex" thing. He'd also be "a basketball god", have the best game system *evah*, win the lotto, and, yeah, get a "sweet" car.

In the end, I think his goals would be 1) admiration 2) sex 3) not to have to do any real work and 4) amusement....but not necessarily in that order.

I'm so glad he's not all powerful! He'd be insufferable...

Elektra
04-30-2007, 04:26 PM
Oh if I had godlike powers, I'd want to try out being a girl for a bit. I've always wondered what it was like :D

From the sound of this thread, I'd think it would be a relief just to not have to think about sex all the time. Honestly, doesn't it get boring after a while?

Jamesaritchie
04-30-2007, 05:09 PM

And a way to have fun and be popular with the guys. Cars and sports are fun, even if you don't get the girls, and sometimes girls are no more than bragging rights with the guys.

Zoombie
04-30-2007, 05:29 PM
From the sound of this thread, I'd think it would be a relief just to not have to think about sex all the time. Honestly, doesn't it get boring after a while?

Nah, I'd just try it from the other way, then switch back. Or stick around, depending on how much fun it was.

Sassee
04-30-2007, 06:35 PM

No, it doesn't. And I'm a girl :)

David McAfee
04-30-2007, 07:49 PM
In all honesty, from what I can remember of that age, sex is probably the most prominent thing on a guy's mind (most of them). Next would probably be cars and partying. Though a lot of us also wanted good grades so we could get into a good college (that urge didn't start until the senior year was half over, though).

But, yeah...for the most part...sex, sex, and more sex. Hormones are rampant between the ages of oh...13 on up to...how old am I again? 33? Well, certainly beyond that, then... :)

Kentuk
04-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Throw a huge party.

rtilryarms
04-30-2007, 08:25 PM
I already was into sex at the time so that obsession was diminished.

If I could do anything, my big dreams were to defeat gravity and also be able to move about in time.

I never lost those goals.

Bravo
04-30-2007, 08:45 PM
1) get taller, more ripped, perfect skin, perfect eyes, etc.

2) travel anywhere in the universe and any moment in time.

3) try to solve world hunger, war, something like that

4) have lots of fun in bed.

thank you

glutton
05-05-2007, 03:59 AM
*Thinks back* It would have been girls, money (mainly for entertainment ie. video games), and having a better body (cause I'm a girlishly scrawny wuss).

Always got great grades without trying, so no need for magic powers there. ;)

Never really got into/cared for cars at all, for many reasons (grew up in New York so never needed one, family couldn't ever have afforded one anyway, parents didn't have a driver's license, got dizzy the few times I actually rode in one as a kid, didn't like the air pollution factor).

Minister
05-06-2007, 11:55 PM
Absolute power does not corrupt absolutely -- absolute power reveals who you really are when you can do anything you want without consequences.

Some people would have the character to do what was right (I suspect in your story, that would include not forcing people who don't want to have sex, or for that matter, messing with their free will so that they will want something they don't want). Others would not.

Speaking for myself, and many others I knew at that age, respect is huge to teenage guys. Whether we achieved that respect through getting girls, touchdowns, rave reviews for our garage band, or good grades, we wanted the people we respected to respect us back. That would have led me to be quicker to make changes in myself than to force others into any course of action -- I'd have lost the glasses in a heartbeat, and likely would have granted myself another six inches of height, thirty pounds of solid muscle, and a huge vertical.

But on a subtler level, thinking that he might be aware that others would fear him and regard him as a freak if they knew what he could do, a teenage guy might still make changes in himself or his surroundings that would be smaller, but still intended to make others think more highly of him (whether for respect, seduction, or whatever).

Any way you cut it, different people react in massively different ways when you give them a crack at loads of power -- contrast George Washington with Lenin or Stalin. So you've got loads of latitude here, depending on your character's character.