Squicks

veingloree

I am curious. What sort of erotica would you not write even if politely invited to by an editor? I was recently invited to submit to a 'shape-changer' anthology which is great as I already have some suitable stories. But some people think it's a tad close to beastiality... personally I hate anything that uses real people or the usual no-no's (kids, nonsentient animals, non-con). But most others things, i would give a go.

pepperlandgirl

squicks...

Any publisher who would request kids or noncon would not be a publisher for me. *shudder* I doubt that would ever come up though, since they're opening themselves up to FBI investigation...

Um, other than that, I think I can be pretty much open to anything.

KyQlemment

Re: squicks...

If asked, I'd write almost anything. Werewolves, vampires, alien creatures - bring them on.

My only question is why is it that it is okay to write torture, murder, rape, child sex in thrillers, horror and other more mainstream genres, but not in erotica? Not that I would want to, just a question I have.

For now, I'll stick to 'acceptable' forms of erotica and leave the rest to others.

KY

veingloree

I would guess it is because erotica invites you to 'enjoy' an experience? Literature merely presents it in a neutral or condemning way. Although I think some thrillers cross that line they can claim they don't.

Nyki27

Besides the limitations already mentioned, I think my main restriction would be in terms of things I couldn't actually write convincingly. For instance, there are fetishes that I don't consider anything wrong with, as long as they're fully consensual, but I simply couldn't portray them convincingly as an erotic experience.

Writing Again

But some people think it's a tad close to bestiality...

Bestiality has a long and honorable tradition in literature...

Kissing frogs, though not a beast, seems a beastly thing to do...

Shakespeare perfected the love of an ass in a midsummer night's dream...

Then of course there was that pervert Zeus and his penchant for visiting beautiful maidens in various non human forms...

And when you stop to think about it Disney did a remake of Beauty and the Beast...

Or is it just more acceptable when the sex is implied and not described..

veingloree

Hmm. I can think of a few publishers that do the "don'ts". Several of them distributed through amazon et al.