Everyday Inspiration

ncq13

Ah yes, sitting at Sunday service I had a brief moment of inspiration. Our guest speaker today was a professor of journalism commenting on the election: its snafus, its boons, the role of the media, religion etc. I couldn't help wondering what was underneath the speaker's tweed. Immediately, I started sizing him up for a character and plotting a story. Which proves that no situation is safe from my plotting mind, haha.
Most of my character's are spawned from situations like this. Typically some unsuspecting person in a coffee shop, on the metro, walking on the street, catches my eye and-- poof! A new character is borne. Where does everyone else get their inspiration?

Jyndral

I tell ya, there's this guy who works at the coffee shop next door and I'm always rather disappointed when I go over there and he's not working. He's one of the owners. Along with his wife. *sigh*

Anyway.....

I could so definitely see him as a character. It's not that I hadn't thought of it before, it's more like other things are in line before I get to that one. But it will get there.

Writing Again

A mystery writer once said every time she got really angry at someone she killed them off--In her next novel.

Kind of makes writing mystery stories more appealing, doesn't it.

ncq13

HAHAHA! I do the same thing. I'm certain that there are several people out there who will read my novels and wonder...

Maryn

Kill 'em or...

I write mystery/suspense, and I've killed a woman I know named Esther probably a dozen times.

Everyone I know who does erotica or even more tepid love scenes peoples them with folks from their everyday life. That young man who used to work at the UPS store is in all my erotica, both gay and straight.

Maryn

Nyki27

Re: Kill 'em or...

I never base characters directly on real people, I find it much more fun to make my own. Obviously, everyone you meet and every situation you experience feeds into the knowledge that goes to make characters, but a character who's a copy never seems any more than that to me.