Great places to see in London?

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
The hubby and I are headed to London in exactly one week for a little R&R and sightseeing. And research for the novel, of course! Our first trip to the Isles, so we're very excited. We are already planning on a day trip to Stonehenge/Windsor/Bath. Have the big sights planned for a visit like Tower of London, London Eye, Sherlock Holmes museum, Kensington Palace, the parks, etc. Jack the Ripper night walking tour (of course!) and we plan on taking at least one "high tea" somewhere.

Can anyone recommend some cool, out-of-the-way things to see while there? Is there a really, cool old pub, neat little museum or classic little shop you suggest? Is a visit to Oxford/Stratford-upon-Avon/Cotswalds not to be missed?

We are planning to walk our socks off (or train day trips), and are game for just about anything. Except, I think, Madam Tussaud's wax museum. The idea of all of those wax, life-size people kinda creeps me out.

Thanks!

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Soho and Chinatown in the heart of London. And if you like art, the National Art Gallery on Trafalgar Square is a must. Camden Market is worth a visit, or it was last time I went -- which is a while ago now -- but hold on to your wallet. For bookstores (mostly second hand and Foyles), take a walk down Charing Cross Road.

I grew up in the Cotswolds, so it's a bit meh to me, but Oxford is beautiful, as is Stratford. If you want architecture, go to Oxford, if you want the whole Shakespeare, go to Stratford.

Stonehenge is awesome, and I adore Bath - you have to see the Roman baths if you go there and take a wander around Royal Crescent. If you get a chance, nip over to Glastonbury too.

Look out for Tourist Information Centres wherever you go, they'll be able to advise you what is and what isn't worth seeing too.

Enjoy!

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Oh, perfect, Cath! My husband is a used bookstore fiend, so now I know exactly where to head for browsing! Will definately give Stratford and Oxford another peep and check into Glastonbury.

Thank you very much! :D

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
OOooohh, the Stonehenge, Bath, Windsor tour was awesome when I did it.

I adore the London Dungeon, but that might just be me ;) I also love the market at Covent Gardens, and wandering Trefalger Square. Actually there are a lot of plays worth seeing if you like that kind of thing. You HAVE to see Les Miserables if you see anything. It used to be at the Palace Theater, but I think they renamed it the Queen's Theater. Anyway, the vendors give you a map with your tickets so that you can find it. Hubby and I found an AMAZING used book store on the way to the V&A, but I have no idea where anymore.. we were just having a wander. Good luck!

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
OOooohh, the Stonehenge, Bath, Windsor tour was awesome when I did it.

I adore the London Dungeon, but that might just be me ;) I also love the market at Covent Gardens, and wandering Trefalger Square. Actually there are a lot of plays worth seeing if you like that kind of thing. You HAVE to see Les Miserables if you see anything. It used to be at the Palace Theater, but I think they renamed it the Queen's Theater. Anyway, the vendors give you a map with your tickets so that you can find it. Hubby and I found an AMAZING used book store on the way to the V&A, but I have no idea where anymore.. we were just having a wander. Good luck!

Thanks!! I found a place where they sell tickets half price, the day of the show, so we'll see if they have seats for Les Mis.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Yes, I forgot that - Leicester Square, there's a booth where you can queue for remainder tickets. The tickets are cheap and you can get into some fantastic shows. Looks like you've found it already!

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
On Oxford Circus, just up from the Bond subway entrance is a quaint pub, Frog in a Pound. In their basement is a restaurant. They have great fish and chips and don't forget to get the Spotted Dick for dessert!!!

Just makes me wish I was going with you! Have fun!!! And a juant to Paris for the day/night is fun too!

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like a wonderful time Melissa. I can't think of a particular place off hand. I never visited any of the tourist places when I lived in the UK. But I know you'll have a great trip and bring back tons of good memories.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the Design Museum, which isn't too far from the Tower of London, just across the Tower Bridge and on the other side of the Thames.

Near the Design Museum is the Bramah Museum of Tea and Coffee, which highlights the impact the tea and coffee trades had on the British economy. Nice displays of coffee and tea sets. Good coffee, too.

If you get to Harrods, check out the creeptastic memorial to Princess Diana and Dodi al Fayed.

And if you stop off anywhere for fish and chips, be prepared for some of the sweetest, most delicious fish you've had.

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
On Oxford Circus, just up from the Bond subway entrance is a quaint pub, Frog in a Pound. In their basement is a restaurant. They have great fish and chips and don't forget to get the Spotted Dick for dessert!!!

Just makes me wish I was going with you! Have fun!!! And a juant to Paris for the day/night is fun too!

I love that pub name --Frog in a Pound! :D

Hmmm. Spotted Dick. Doesn't sound great, but I am determined to try lots of new foods and if this is dessert... all desserts are by definition wonderful, aren't they? ;)

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Ben,

The Tea & Coffee museum sounds right up my hubby's alley (and very British!) so will definately check it out!

BTW --"creeptastic" is a great word and tells me exactly what to expect of the display! :D

Thanks tremendously!

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
I love that pub name --Frog in a Pound! :D

Hmmm. Spotted Dick. Doesn't sound great, but I am determined to try lots of new foods and if this is dessert... all desserts are by definition wonderful, aren't they? ;)
I had to try it for the name alone, so I could come back and say, "I even had a Spotted Dick!"

It's very good! I think Hugh Grant mentioned it in Notting Hill???

cletus

I'm a king bee
Registered
Reaction score
Also try Cecil Court for used bookshops http://www.cecilcourt.co.uk/.
The National Gallery is free, so keep that in mind when choosing what to do. If you go in and only see a load of portraits hanging on the wall then you've gone to The National Portrait Gallery. Walk back out and turn right. The National Gallery is around the corner with the entrance facing Trafalger Square.
Try side streets for pubs, most of the best ones are hidden from the tourist mob.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
The Amato Caffe Pasticceria in Soho is arguably my favourite cup of coffee. (And I've had many a cuppajoe in London.) I was first taken there by an agent who told me that the Pasticceria was a regular haunt for movie producers hashing out deals on neutral ground due its location in the heart of Soho (William Morris is just around the corner :rolleyes:)

It was very busy when we went and especially in rush hour but if you love your authentic Italian coffees, give it a go.

http://www.77london.co.uk/amato.asp?post=ok

http://www.amato.co.uk/

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
For a pub try the Lamb and Flag on Rose Street near Covent Garden
http://www.urbanpath.com/london/pubs/lamb-and-flag.htm

or the Cittie of Yorke on High Holborn near Chancery Lane Tube (very busy during the week, quiet on Saturdays)

If you can afford it, go to Simpsons in the Strand and have the full works English roast beef dinner (male diners must wear a jacket and tie). The best roast beef I have ever eaten.

I'm a big fan of Winchester - wonderful cathedral and easily accessible by train from London. Leeds Castle in Kent is well worth seeing too.

Note: Stonehenge is out in the country and there is no public transport that gets you near it.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Is that the one with sign professing to be the Oldest Pub in London?
If not, that one's near Chancery Lane Tube too.

I also hear Cue Gardens is worth a look.

No. The Cittie of Yorke has a big clock hanging out over the street.

I presume you mean Kew Gardens. Very well worth a visit if you are at all interested in plants and gardens

WarrenP

Registered
Reaction score
I like St. Paul's cathedral, I find it quite beautiful and moving. They have a nice tour of the entire place, but if you can go during an Evensong service, that would be unique. Hearing the choir echo is amazing.