PDA

View Full Version : What's your memory of the worst television series?

SpookyWriter
04-28-2007, 10:37 AM
For me it was the A-Team. My goodness this show was so lame to begin with that any veteran would poke holes in the premise and story line. I always remarked how poorly they were trained in the Army because they never could seem to hit anyone even though they had modified M1-carbines.

Whenever the networks decide to re-run the original series then I know it's time to buy more videos.

What's your memory of the worst television series?

newmod
04-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Seinfeld, absolutely hated it and all the characters in it. Bloody useless programme.

Joe270
04-28-2007, 10:59 AM
New, you should watch it again. The whole point is they are a bunch of losers judging others. They are so great, but can't keep a job or a relationship because they are all so shallow. The main characters are the butt of every joke.

Give it another look, the show was brilliant.

newmod
04-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Sorry Joe, I know what the premise was for the show, I just donīt think itīs funny in the least. The worst bit by far was always his stand up, awful.

Just not my type of humour at all.

Stacia Kane
04-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Small Wonder. Remember, that awful little girl robot? *shudder*

Evaine
04-28-2007, 02:52 PM
A Bouquet of Barbed Wire - 1970's BBC drama, in which everyone was sophisticated and miserable. It starred Frank Finlay, and it put me off watching anything he was in for years.

aadams73
04-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Seinfeld, absolutely hated it and all the characters in it. Bloody useless programme.

I, too, hated Seinfeld, so much so that I can't bear to watch anything else the actors are in.

Worst show ever? Pretty much any sitcom, and Coronation Street. And Airwolf. And anything "reality TV."

ChunkyC
04-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078579/)

This had to be the worst thing ever put on television. It made Gilligan's Island look highbrow by comparison.

robeiae
04-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078579/)

This had to be the worst thing ever put on television. It made Gilligan's Island look highbrow by comparison.
WHAT!?!?

That's it for you, Chunky...

For me, the worst is all on right now--reality crap. Especially American Idol. Blech!

Cath
04-28-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm with Robeiae, it's the reality crap that gets me - Big Brother and all that nonsense. And any soap opera.

Buck Rogers was so bad it was good :D

ChunkyC
04-28-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm with you on the reality show garbage.

Serenity
04-28-2007, 06:12 PM
And Airwolf. And anything "reality TV."

I have to admit to loving Airwolf as a child. I look back now and shudder, yes, but then to me it was one of the coolest shows on TV. *hangs head in shame...

I'm with Robeiae, it's the reality crap that gets me - Big Brother and all that nonsense.

I watch TV to escape reality (except for Deadliest Catch, I am addicted to that show and really cannot tell you why...) not to experience it all over again. I think the worst is yet to come with the whole Bingo thing starting sometime this summer, I believe. Yes, you heard me right, a reality TV show based on BINGO.

The universe is officially coming to an end...

seun
04-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Any reality TV. I'll ban it when I rule the world.

Hi-de-Hi is one my worst memories of childhood. And although I don't remember many of them from the first time as I was born in 1977, I have to say a lot of the Godawful 70s sitcoms that are endlessly repeated now. Is it me or are they painfully racist and simply not funny?

aadams73
04-28-2007, 06:56 PM
Hi-de-Hi is one my worst memories of childhood.

OMG! That was set at that stupid camp, wasn't it? It truly was beyond awful!

seun
04-28-2007, 07:01 PM
Yep. About as funny as a car accident. :rant:

abemorgantis
04-28-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates Seinfeld. Sometimes in group of people, I'm the only one.

Anyone see Life On A Stick two years ago? I watched it because it was like watching a slow motion train wreck; I couldn't pull my eyes away.

ChaosTitan
04-28-2007, 07:14 PM
For me it was the A-Team. My goodness this show was so lame to begin with that any veteran would poke holes in the premise and story line. I always remarked how poorly they were trained in the Army because they never could seem to hit anyone even though they had modified M1-carbines.

But that was the whole point, Spooky. Sensationalized violence without anyone getting hurt. The characters were not vigilantes, they didn't want to kill or mame people. Just to do the right thing, and (hopefully) get paid for their efforts. It was escapist television, and one of my favorite childhood shows.

It's why I fear the upcoming feature film. I don't want those characters to turn into bad-ass killers who leave a swath of carnage in their wake.

OMG, yes! Ack...get the theme song out of my head!!!!

Besides adding my vote to ban "reality" TV shows from the face of telelvision, I can't think of any horrible shows. Why? If I hated it, I didn't watch it.

scarletpeaches
04-28-2007, 07:19 PM
The only thing worse than reality TV is 'celebrity' reality TV.

plaidearthworm
04-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Glad to know I'm not alone; I really don't like the reality tv thing for the most part. I've never watched American Idol, Survivor, The Bachelor, Big Brother, etc. Also didn't watch Seinfeld, because it just irritated me. However, what most people consider bad TV I embrace for its cheesiness: anyone remember Pink Lady and Jeff from the 70s? Adored that when it was on, of course I was all of 9 or 10 at the time. That's probably why I loved the Naked Trucker and T-Bone show during its brief life on Comedy Central--it had that 70s variety feel to it.

aadams73
04-29-2007, 12:07 AM
Anyone remember BJ and the Bear? That was pretty darn awful.

SpookyWriter
04-29-2007, 12:10 AM
Anyone remember BJ and the Bear? That was pretty darn awful.* groan * Now that you mention it, yes I do. I agree the show was pretty lame. Air Wolf was another dingy movie. Jan M. Vincent sure did go down hill from there...* sigh *

stormie
04-29-2007, 12:11 AM
I think I remember BJ and the Bear. Wasn't that with Burt Reynolds?

Knots Landing (I think in the '80s) was dull.

SpookyWriter
04-29-2007, 12:15 AM
I think I remember BJ and the Bear. Wasn't that with Burt Reynolds?

Knots Landing (I think in the '80s) was dull.Nope, I can remember the guy's name but the bear was a monkey.

Soccer Mom
04-29-2007, 02:45 AM
:sneaks away to hide with the other reality tv addicts:

Gravity
04-29-2007, 03:26 AM
Hullabaloo. (the birth of bubblegum rock. May God have mercy on NBC's corporate soul). Petticoat Junction (I would have liked to climb into the water tank with the gals, though). Good Times (dy-no-NOT!). Family Affair (the series which begged the question, how is it possible for a show have a saccharine content greater than 100%?). Night Gallery (poor Rod Serling. I have to believe he did this to ransom his nephew from a Turkish prison. Or something). And others. So many others...

SpookyWriter
04-29-2007, 03:42 AM
Yikes. Now those bring back some memories.

Ardellis
04-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Anyone else remember a very short-lived show called Quark? It was supposed to be an SF comedy. Richard Benjamin was the captain of a space ship. His first mate was a humanoid plant. The crew included a pair of identical women who were always arguing about who was the original and who was the clone.

aadams73
04-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Nope, I can remember the guy's name but the bear was a monkey.

Yeah, it was Greg Evigan or someone like that. And yes, Bear was a chimp. BJ was a truck driver.

It was almost as lame as the Pukes of Hazzard.

robeiae
04-29-2007, 04:12 PM
Joanie loves Chachi.

Lock thread.

alleycat
04-29-2007, 04:18 PM
The Dukes of Hazzard.

Jamesaritchie
04-29-2007, 06:17 PM
I, too, hated Seinfeld, so much so that I can't bear to watch anything else the actors are in.

Worst show ever? Pretty much any sitcom, and Coronation Street. And Airwolf. And anything "reality TV."

Airwolf?!? One of the three or four best series ever to grace TV. Absolutely loved that show. Great actors, great scripts, great battle scenes.

ChunkyC
04-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Joanie loves Chachi.
A classic case of "Who the **** gave this piece of junk the green light?"

James buddy, I love ya, but ... Airwolf? ;)

OH! Just remembered one of the all time worst.... *drumroll*

KNIGHT RIDER!

aadams73
04-29-2007, 06:47 PM
Airwolf?!? One of the three or four best series ever to grace TV. Absolutely loved that show. Great actors, great scripts, great battle scenes.

And yet my original opinion that Airwolf sucked shit through a straw is unchanged.

aadams73
04-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Joanie loves Chachi.

Lock thread.

I still have nightmares about that dreadful theme song!

*shivers*

abemorgantis
04-29-2007, 08:10 PM
I still have nightmares about that dreadful theme song!

*shivers*

Eight is Enough to fill our lives with love...

I hated that song!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-29-2007, 08:20 PM
Hands down, Reality TV! And to think... it was caused by a Writers' Strike.

I don't like Seinfeld, either... or anything with Sherman Hemsley - especially the Jeffersons. Detested Gilligan's Island (if you can build enough buildings and furniture to populate the island, why can't you fix the damn boat?).

I'm with John... so many others...

MidnightMuse
04-30-2007, 03:48 AM
Anyone else remember -- Quark?

Hey, I remember that ! It was kinda cute in a goofy way.

I'm on board with Airwolf as some of the worse drek alive. And just about 90 % of anything that came to light in the 80's.

newmod
04-30-2007, 03:51 AM
El Dorado, terrible BBC soap about ex-pats living in Spain. God awful series.

rubarbb
04-30-2007, 03:52 AM
Tooo many to be able to think of only one.

LloydBrown
04-30-2007, 04:53 AM
I hear "Joannie love Chachi" raised some eyebrows in Korea because Chachi in Korean means "penis." Just to be sure, I Snopes'ed it, and this one seems to be true. Well, it's phonetically close, anyway.

Serenity
04-30-2007, 05:35 AM
:roll:

poetinahat
04-30-2007, 05:45 AM
For me, the worst is all on right now--reality crap. Especially American Idol. Blech!
Just for that, Rob, I'm going to wear a Jim Morrison t-shirt for a whole day.

I hate to say it, but The Saint is pretty laughable and clumsy. But it's good laughable, though.

Now, if I can just find a box set of Barney Miller episodes....

Writer2011
04-30-2007, 05:46 AM
Does anyone remember LAND OF THE LOST? Talk about a cheesy show :)

LloydBrown
04-30-2007, 05:57 AM
I loved Land of the Lost at the time. They're supposedly making a movie, but a quick check of IMDB didn't reveal any hard facts.

Writer2011
04-30-2007, 05:58 AM
I loved Land of the Lost at the time. They're supposedly making a movie, but a quick check of IMDB didn't reveal any hard facts.
Oh dear God :) Seriously, they're making a movie? WOW!!

benbradley
04-30-2007, 06:26 AM
They made a Lost In Space movie, they could make a movie about anything.

I remember Lost In Space fondly, mostly because I was under 10 years old at the time. I also liked My Favorite Martian, but that was likewise the same time period, and I haven't heard about a movie from that one.

Writer2011
04-30-2007, 06:27 AM
Let's not forget PERFECT STRANGERS :)

Shwebb
04-30-2007, 09:06 AM
Man, all those variety shows of the 70's and 80's. I was so nostalgic for them, but when I saw them in rerun, it was like, how much longer can I watch this before my ears and eyes start to bleed? Funny how time changes things.

Sonny and Cher Show
The Mandrell Sisters
Donny and Marie
Brady Bunch Variety Hour
and someone else mentioned it--Pink Lady and Jeff. Two ladies who couldn't even speak English. And at the end of every show, they all ended up in the hot tub.

I find it interesting that sitcoms and humor/entertainment change as our tastes change, as a group.

narselon
04-30-2007, 10:34 AM
They made a Lost In Space movie, they could make a movie about anything.

I remember Lost In Space fondly, mostly because I was under 10 years old at the time. I also liked My Favorite Martian, but that was likewise the same time period, and I haven't heard about a movie from that one.

My condolences... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120764/

I disagree with the Seinfeld hate. Despite its existence in the laugh track era it was brilliant. No other show captured people like that before.

One show that needs to be mentioned is Friends and its horrible spin off Joey. I can't even make it through an episode. It's all so fake.

7th Heaven is also on the list. I only saw a few minutes of it at the hospital and I was glad to leave the waiting room.

underthecity
04-30-2007, 12:30 PM
I have to admit I enjoyed Joey. We watched it every week.

But what about That 80s Show? I knew it wasn't going to last. So, I had to watch it to see how horrible it was. And it was very horrible.

How about The Mullets? That was embarrassingly bad.

There are more, but it's very early.

allen

MidnightMuse
04-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Speaking of Lost in Space I mean Land of the Giants (brain fart) - it's coming out in DVD as a Whole Series set, for $299.00 US.

Who in their right mind would pay that much, for that?! Well, for any TV show, really.

Lyra Jean
04-30-2007, 06:32 PM
I bought all 9 seasons of X-Files at $25 per season. Yes I'm a junkie.

I never liked, and please don't hate me, "Little House on the Prairie." I had read all the books at least 3 dozen times before I ever saw one episode of that show. I thought it was totally awesome until I saw the Micheal Landon didn't even pretend to follow the books in the least little bit.

I also never liked "The Brady Bunch." Sorry mixed families don't act like that. EVER. Not even when no one has any problems. It was just too unrealistic for my taste.

Oh yeah, "The Cosby Show." He's a doctor and she's a lawyer yet they are home all the time. How is that possible? And the worst problem they ever had with their children is when Theo got his ear pierced. Please!

MidnightMuse
04-30-2007, 06:40 PM
Oh don't get me wrong - I buy tv shows on DVD all the time, but usually a season at a time, and I have my limits for price. Which is what keeps me from buying an old favorite: UFO. It's priced too high.

One of my weekly visits is to this site: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com

Bmwhtly
04-30-2007, 06:46 PM
I can't believe you've gone three pages without mentioning Baywatch.

And of course, anything that's Reality, Soap, Game show based.

*Leaves, pointedly not saying anything about Seinfeld*

III
04-30-2007, 07:15 PM
Does anyone remember LAND OF THE LOST? Talk about a cheesy show :)

Are you kidding? I still check my closet for Sleestacks. Those things scared the hell out of me as a kid.

Worst TV series? Designing Women. That, and pretty much every obnoxious show on the Disney channel right now. The Suite Life of Zack & Cody comes to mind.

And if you grew up watching the Kroft Superstars (Land of the Lost, Dr. Shrinker, Sigmund the Seamonster, Electra Woman & Dyna Girl, etc.) you've gotta check out Saul of the Molemen on the cartoon network. It's easily one of the funniest TV shows in years.

Gravity
04-30-2007, 07:20 PM
The only complete TV series I own is the original Outer Limits. I remember watching them with dad (my mom couldn't stay in the same room). Yessir, that show was as fine as frog's hair, split four ways...

C.bronco
04-30-2007, 07:23 PM
Hazel.
It was about a maid named Hazel. I think my mom would put it on so I would take a nap.

Southern_girl29
04-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Are you kidding? I still check my closet for Sleestacks. Those things scared the hell out of me as a kid.

Worst TV series? Designing Women. That, and pretty much every obnoxious show on the Disney channel right now. The Suite Life of Zack & Cody comes to mind.

And if you grew up watching the Kroft Superstars (Land of the Lost, Dr. Shrinker, Sigmund the Seamonster, Electra Woman & Dyna Girl, etc.) you've gotta check out Saul of the Molemen on the cartoon network. It's easily one of the funniest TV shows in years.

I have to disagree with Designing Women. It is one of my all-time favorite sitcoms.

I also couldn't stand Seinfield. I just didn't get it and didn't want to.

Thump
04-30-2007, 08:40 PM
I loved "Small Wonder" when I was around ten :) I would rewatch just out of nostalgia :D I also loved Lost in Space and Wonderwoman although Wonderwoman was soooo cheesy (and i knew this at the time :P)

I hate the Cosby Show, Baywatch, the Brady Bunch and reality TV too. >_< If they HAVE to throw money away, give it to me! I have some fun ideas for TV series!

Other bad ones: Dawson's Creek (OH GOD I HATE IT SO MUCH!), Facts of Life (or summat like that...), POWER RANGERS! (Man...I used to love it when I was 6 X-D By the time I was 10 I couldn't stand it)

Shwebb
04-30-2007, 09:11 PM
"Love Boat" and "Fantasy Island." Loved 'em as a kid, especially FI. But I've seen them both in rerun as an adult, and man! Talk about cheesy and overwrought!

Even at eleven, I realized that FI was wayy gone when a woman got attacked by a gorilla, or something. I started giggling and said to my family that it had to be really a guy who always fantasized about being a gorilla. And I was right!
:roll:

Loved "Land of the Lost." The acting was so over-the-top--almost like a soap opera for kids. But the plots were nicely complicated for a kid show. I'd watch it now! And yeah, I like "Saul of the Mole People." Crazy, that.

III
04-30-2007, 09:39 PM
I have to disagree with Designing Women. It is one of my all-time favorite sitcoms.

I also couldn't stand Seinfield. I just didn't get it and didn't want to.

If it makes you feel better, it's my parents' favorite show as well. They taped every episode and played them ad-nauseum. I think this past decade they've switched to Will And Grace. There's a big generation gap between us but I love 'em to death.

Ardellis
04-30-2007, 10:33 PM
A couple of vampiric disasters for you.

Kindred: the Embraced, and the remake of Dark Shadows.

This coming from someone who will watch anything with a vampire in it.

SpookyWriter
05-02-2007, 07:14 AM
Car 54, where are you is a toss up.

Mac H.
05-02-2007, 11:02 AM
For me it was the A-Team. My goodness this show was so lame to begin with that any veteran would poke holes in the premise and story line.Aw. c'mon. It was a TV show aimed at eight to twelve year old kids.

That's like complaining that the Ninja Turtles are lame because any biologist would poke holes at the premise!

Are there any kids show that DON'T have lame premises and story lines?

Mac

Serenity
05-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future.

And yes, I even had the ship where you could fire at the screen and get points. :D But it was still a reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally bad show.

aadams73
05-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers! That show just reeked.

Anyone remember that Japanese show, Monkey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_(TV_series))?

C.bronco
05-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers! That show just reeked.
No Way!!!!
My son likes them. I always preferred Thunder Cats.

aadams73
05-02-2007, 05:07 PM
No Way!!!!

I loved Thunder Cats too. That show just rocked.

III
05-02-2007, 05:14 PM
No Way!!!!

By Jaga!

C.bronco
05-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Sword of Omens, Give Me Sight Beyond Sight!

seun
05-02-2007, 05:19 PM

When I was 10, every Thursday at half past four meant Thundercats. No talking was allowed for half an hour. :D

Soccer Mom
05-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Anyone remember Star Blazers and Battle of the Planets? I was completely addicted to those, but I had to rush in after school because if I dawdled I would miss them. They came on at 4:00!

III
05-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Anyone remember Star Blazers and Battle of the Planets? I was completely addicted to those, but I had to rush in after school because if I dawdled I would miss them. They came on at 4:00!

Those were both awesome. I forgot about those. Snarfy likes you for bringing them up.

C.bronco
05-02-2007, 08:35 PM
I don't remember those, but I remember a weird show called Quark that didn't last very long.

III
05-02-2007, 09:33 PM
I don't remember those, but I remember a weird show called Quark that didn't last very long.

I remember Quark too. They actually referenced it on an episode of Family Guy not too long ago.

Lady Esther
05-05-2007, 10:39 AM
And yet my original opinion that Airwolf sucked shit through a straw is unchanged.

:ROFL: :roll:

Lady Esther
05-05-2007, 10:45 AM

Thunder! Thunder! Thunder! Thunder Cats! Hoooooooooooo!

(if I'm not mistaken, that is how it went. lol.)

Lady Esther
05-05-2007, 10:51 AM
The new Barney sucks. But I'll admit I still rock to the old songs. "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt": classic.

(I just realized I posted 3 times in a row.)

Novelust
05-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Captain Planet - we always felt sorry for the poor guy who got the 'Heart' ring. Control a tidal wave? Start a fire? No, but he sure as heck can make you care.

Oh, anyone remember 'Out of This World'? About a half-alien girl with the power to stop time when she touches her fingers together. I remember a creepy older out-of-work actor guy (supposedly the comic relief) who hung around the house.

Tachyon
05-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Smallville

The writing makes me want to cry--after I've taken a sledgehammer to my TV, of course.

It started out as a nice attempt to tell the backstory of Superman, aka Clark Kent, aka Kal-El. I really enjoy the special effects they use to show his powers; after all, who doesn't like seeing Clark dodge bullets? But over the course of the past two years the writers have managed to rip Superman's backstory to shreds and slowly strangle any respect I had for this show.

The acting doesn't help either.

ChaosTitan
05-05-2007, 09:17 PM
I wouldn't list Smallville as a worst series, but I have been equally annoyed at the liberties they take with the DC Universe in general. Especially the recent "Justice League" episodes that mess with other characters like Oliver Queen, Victor Stone, and Bart Allen.

zahra
05-08-2007, 04:30 AM
There was a sitcom called 'Mind Your Language' in the UK in the Seventies. It was set in an EFL school, long before political correctness (of which I'm rather a fan...), and, it seemed, the need to be at all funny. It seemed to have an all-purpose punchline consisting of the Indian guy wobbling his head and saying, 'Oh, dearie me!' See also 'Love Thy Neighbour', and Oh, God, there was 'Mixed Blessings', about a mixed-race marriage. The awful thing was we watched them, cos in those days there were, like, 2 channels, and some series about origami would be on the other side (I'm not kidding, there was a show about making things with string). I don't even want back all the time I spent watching bad 70s TV...it would be all soiled, so I'd just have to chuck it out anyway...:)

AzBobby
05-08-2007, 06:05 AM
Here, I'll take a shot. Anyone else own the DVD of Blazing Saddles? Watch the failed pilot to the proposed 70s sitcom that is included on the disc. Mel Brooks and company had nothing to do with it. I challenge you to get past the first five minutes. I couldn't.

Another example from TV Pilot Hell is what the makers of the original Superman TV series tried to do with the leftover sets after George Reeves shot himself and could not go on to do a proposed new season of the series. They shot a pilot of Superpup, in which all the Superman characters were replaced with actors wearing dog suits. I've only seen clips of it, but boy howdy, it's a jaw dropper. It makes the George Reeves series look good.

I'm OK with the middle-of-the-road dumb examples like Eight is Enough and Dukes of Hazzard, but come on, Seinfeld?? Seems like the list of shows that were genuinely poor is way too long to call something you merely don't get the worst of them all.

To be fair, I don't get a lot of popular shows either (I hate reality shows, but some of them have sustained themselves too well to be called the worst ever). And even though I found Seinfeld brilliant in general, I agree with the poster who found the stand-up scenes (which seemed to go away after the first few seasons) lousy. For some reason, almost all stand-up comedy scenes that are acted out as scenes in TV and movies are lousy even if the same actors are funny in other scenes, and even if they're genuine stand-up comedians who crack me up when they do their real stand-up. The laughing audiences in these scenes never sound genuine or spontaneous, even in a great film like Annie Hall. I don't know why this is.

Oh yeah, and Land of the Lost rocked. The 70s version that is, the one with the unwatchably bad special effects, not the 90s version with just fairly poor special effects.

Writer2011
05-08-2007, 06:06 AM
How could we ever forget Just The Ten of Us or Perfect Strangers? :)

SpookyWriter
05-08-2007, 06:14 AM
Agggh...I didn't ever have to remember Perfect Strangers again in my lifetime.

Writer2011
05-08-2007, 06:15 AM
Agggh...I didn't ever have to remember Perfect Strangers again in my lifetime.
Yeah and to believe I actually liked the show for a short time :)

Shadow_Ferret
05-08-2007, 07:07 AM
Aw. c'mon. It was a TV show aimed at eight to twelve year old kids.

That's like complaining that the Ninja Turtles are lame because any biologist would poke holes at the premise!

Are there any kids show that DON'T have lame premises and story lines?

MacSorry, but no, A-Team wasn't aimed at kids, it was aimed at a PRIME TIME Audience. If it was a kid show it wouldn't have been half bad, but because it was actually trying to be adult fare is the exact reason why it sucked.

Along with Dukes of Hazard.

I personally think Hee-Haw was awful.

And the first season of Airwolf was excellent. After that it seemed to lose it's focus.

No one mentioned Alf.

CoriSCapnSkip
05-08-2007, 01:35 PM
I accidentally watched a minute or two of Wife Swap or something while switching channels not long ago. These shows deprive talented actors of work and induce trauma in participants and probably viewers. The historical reality shows where people try to recreate the environment of a time and place are not so bad.

III
05-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Sorry, but no, A-Team wasn't aimed at kids, it was aimed at a PRIME TIME Audience. If it was a kid show it wouldn't have been half bad, but because it was actually trying to be adult fare is the exact reason why it sucked.

Along with Dukes of Hazard.

I personally think Hee-Haw was awful.

And the first season of Airwolf was excellent. After that it seemed to lose it's focus.

No one mentioned Alf.

Hee-Haw was a documentary

Southern_girl29
05-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Alf was terrible. My brother loved it. When it came on, I left the living room and went to my bedroom. I hated it.

ChaosTitan
05-08-2007, 07:09 PM
I loved ALF. I still have my ALF doll boxed up in the closet. Even as a cat lover, I found it hysterical that he was always trying to eat the family pet.

Ardellis
05-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Bosom Buddies Tom Hanks in drag. That's all I'm saying.

Inky
05-10-2007, 01:28 PM
The only thing worse than reality TV is 'celebrity' reality TV.
Wanted to hate Osbornes. Really, I did. Here in Germany, our 'cable' had a marathon one day. Home with a sick kid, I watched a few minutes of it....6 hours later I was in so much pain from laughing at Ozzy...

Inky
05-10-2007, 01:31 PM
The Office. One word: why?

Inky
05-10-2007, 01:35 PM
OH OH OH OH...Welcome Back Kotter...except for the catchy theme music...made me go in search of a dentist's drill....

III
05-10-2007, 05:04 PM
The Office. One word: why?

Because I've worked with so many Dwights in real life . . . so very many . . .

Inky
05-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Because I've worked with so many Dwights in real life . . . so very many . . .
I think I keep missing the post, but from your reaction, I think you posted something about The Office...and I re-read my post & can see where I was misunderstood. I'm sorry. I should have caught that. I meant, I cringe when The Office comes on. I'm in Germany--Air Force--and our American Network Television airs this. My cynically humorous 13 year old loves it...me? I run screaming. You've had Dwight's...I've had Michael's. I know it's a sitcom...but I'm so embarrassed for him, so horrified...can't watch it. Hmmm. Maybe it's a conspiracy to get mom out of the room...it's working!

Inky
05-11-2007, 06:55 PM
The Donny and Marie Osmond Show...*shudder*. When I was 6 or 7, I had THE biggest crush on Donny Osmond. When I was a preteen and this show came out....I needed therapy.

SpookyWriter
05-18-2007, 08:33 AM
Alice is coming back for the summer re-runs. I hated that show. Absolutely terrible.

Nakhlasmoke
05-18-2007, 11:55 AM
Why have I not yet seen a vote for Full House? Come on people, you're slacking.

And if you think lame '80s shows were bad, feel sorry for me, I had to watch Remington Steele in Afrikaans - Die Man Van Staal - wtf - I don't even speak Afrikaans. I think even Beverly Hills 90210 was dubbed, but luckily I had no need or desire to watch that.

I also hate Will and Grace. Seriously, could that show cram any more gay stereotypes into a single program?

Inky
05-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Why have I not yet seen a vote for Full House? Come on people, you're slacking.

And if you think lame '80s shows were bad, feel sorry for me, I had to watch Remington Steele in Afrikaans - Die Man Van Staal - wtf - I don't even speak Afrikaans. I think even Beverly Hills 90210 was dubbed, but luckily I had no need or desire to watch that.

I also hate Will and Grace. Seriously, could that show cram any more gay stereotypes into a single program?

Will & Grace made me laugh--because of the stereotyping, but I'm from California, and too open-minded for mi' own good. Now...these medical shows....jeeeeeze...they should be supplying me with a fibulator...oh oh oh...look..I made a pun--NOT! AND..love the author Kathy Reichs..which is saying much, because I normally don't read md thrillers..however, what THE HELL is this BONES show? They say based on the Kathy Reichs novels..um..eh eh. No. Two episodes and I was removing my own eyes.
It's a visual only Spooky can appreciate...oh look, another pun. hehehee

Leva
05-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Same here. I ... abhorred ... Alf, and my brother loved it.

Alf was terrible. My brother loved it. When it came on, I left the living room and went to my bedroom. I hated it.

The show that currently sets my teeth on edge is the game show with the suitcases full of money -- I think it's called, "Who wants to make a deal?" It's boring, it's repetative, it's a rather silly concept, and the contestants are not chosing for their intelligence.

My boyfriend loves it ... I cringe whenever it comes on. Ah, well, to each their own.

ChaosTitan
05-18-2007, 07:48 PM
AND..love the author Kathy Reichs..which is saying much, because I normally don't read md thrillers..however, what THE HELL is this BONES show? They say based on the Kathy Reichs novels..um..eh eh. No. Two episodes and I was removing my own eyes.
It's a visual only Spooky can appreciate...oh look, another pun. hehehee

Actually, it's more like "inspired by" the books by Kathy Reichs (who is a co-producer and supporter of the show). It's actually a lot of fun. The TV version of Dr. Brennan is not only a forensic anthropologist, she is also a best-selling crime novelist whose heroine's name is "Kathy Reichs." ;)

III
05-18-2007, 09:38 PM
The show that currently sets my teeth on edge is the game show with the suitcases full of money -- I think it's called, "Who wants to make a deal?" It's boring, it's repetative, it's a rather silly concept, and the contestants are not chosing for their intelligence.

My boyfriend loves it ... I cringe whenever it comes on. Ah, well, to each their own.

A game that involves no intelligence, skill, or strategy where you win money and look at pretty girls. Is there any more accurate picture of the "entitlement" philosophy?

CheshireCat
05-18-2007, 10:18 PM
Manimal.

I don't think that requires any explanation.

:eek:

plaidearthworm
05-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Shows with lawyers. (Yeah, I'm looking at you, Law and Order.) Shows with forensic scientists (except for Quincy, he rocked). Most shows with doctors. Basically, I don't watch anything that's in the top 10--it's just not my thing. But give me some sci-fi, a fresh Daily Show and a new Mythbusters, and I'm a happy camper.

III
05-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Shows with lawyers. (Yeah, I'm looking at you, Law and Order.) Shows with forensic scientists (except for Quincy, he rocked). Most shows with doctors. Basically, I don't watch anything that's in the top 10--it's just not my thing. But give me some sci-fi, a fresh Daily Show and a new Mythbusters, and I'm a happy camper.

Did you find it disturbing when they used to show The Odd Couple and Quincy back to back?

Gravity
05-19-2007, 12:07 AM
Lost In Space. As a kid I was jazzed that they were going to make a series about a spacegoing family with the same last name as ours. But within the first three episodes I knew I'd been deeply screwed. I remember turning to my dad and asking, "Why doesn't Major West just shoot that stupid Doctor Smith? He's a spy! And he's going to eat their food and breathe their air!!" (yes, I was whiny). My father, alas, had no answer. So the series ran, and ran, and ran, until Will's voice changed, and Penny bloomed (yowza!). And Doctor Smith never did get a laser in the chest from the major.

Shadow_Ferret
05-19-2007, 12:25 AM
Oh! Oh! I've got it!

Shields and Yarnell.

I win.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-19-2007, 12:28 AM
My Mother the Car.

And it's not exactly a 'series', but how about Regis and Kathy Lee? Regis and Kelly Ripa? I didn't think they could find anyone more annoying than Kathy Lee... I was wrong.

Shadow_Ferret
05-19-2007, 12:43 AM
And it's not exactly a 'series', but how about Regis and Kathy Lee? Regis and Kelly Ripa? I didn't think they could find anyone more annoying than Kathy Lee... I was wrong.

Well, if we want to talk awful talk shows, forgetting Oprah for the moment, how about Merv Griffin or Mike Douglas (never could figure out which was which), Diana Shore, Pat Sajak, Chevy Chase...?

MidnightMuse
05-19-2007, 01:21 AM
Oh! Oh! I've got it!

Shields and Yarnell.

I win.

My LORD - the flashback that just caused ! I just threw up a little in my mouth.

You do win! Lock thread.

III
05-19-2007, 01:48 AM
My LORD - the flashback that just caused ! I just threw up a little in my mouth.

You do win! Lock thread.

Agreed. They made Sonny and Cher look high-brow by comparison.

zahra
05-19-2007, 04:21 AM
Shows with lawyers. (Yeah, I'm looking at you, Law and Order.) Hey, that's Sam Waterson you're talking about, mate - watch yourself! Shows with forensic scientists (except for Quincy, he rocked). Most shows with doctors. Basically, I don't watch anything that's in the top 10--it's just not my thing. But give me some sci-fi, a fresh Daily Show and a new Mythbusters, and I'm a happy camper.
Oh, come on, they're not the WORST shows ever, surely, with the competition mentioned in these posts? (My personal fave is 'Superpup' - so glad that never featured in my TV-watching life).

I think I'll YouTube some of these US shows that I missed, safe in the knowledge that they'll never come back.

plaidearthworm
05-19-2007, 06:14 AM
Did you find it disturbing when they used to show The Odd Couple and Quincy back to back?

You know, I don't remember watching 'The Odd Couple' before Quincy. So it never freaked me out, but didn't Tony Randall do a guest spot?

And sorry, zahra, but I can't sit through L&O. We were without satellite for about a year, and the only channel we could get in was the local NBC. That means nearly every night, the music crept up on me. Dun-dun! All they ran was different flavors of it and then Dateline. It made me look forward to the main mini-series of the year, '10.5,' with schoolgirl glee.

And yes, Shields and Yarnell wins, absolutely. I vaguely remember it being on before or after the Hudson Brothers show. I thought I had blocked it completely from memory. Oh, well, time for more therapy.

SpookyWriter
05-19-2007, 06:32 AM
And yes, Shields and Yarnell wins, absolutely. I vaguely remember it being on before or after the Hudson Brothers show. I thought I had blocked it completely from memory. Oh, well, time for more therapy.I would have been perfectly content never to hear about Shields and Yarnell again in this lifetime. Now I need therapy also. :Headbang:

Tiger
05-19-2007, 07:09 AM
I always remarked how poorly they were trained in the Army because they never could seem to hit anyone even though they had modified M1-carbines.

Think the problem was that M1s cost $$. Those were Ruger Mini 14s I think.

SpookyWriter
05-19-2007, 07:14 AM
Think the problem was that M1s cost $$. Those were Ruger Mini 14s I think.Right! Mini 14s. They had the silver models. Good memory. I used an M1 in ROTC during the early 70's.

zahra
05-19-2007, 07:01 PM
You know, I don't remember watching 'The Odd Couple' before Quincy. So it never freaked me out, but didn't Tony Randall do a guest spot?

And sorry, zahra, but I can't sit through L&O. We were without satellite for about a year, and the only channel we could get in was the local NBC. That means nearly every night, the music crept up on me. Dun-dun! All they ran was different flavors of it and then Dateline. It made me look forward to the main mini-series of the year, '10.5,' with schoolgirl glee.

And yes, Shields and Yarnell wins, absolutely. I vaguely remember it being on before or after the Hudson Brothers show. I thought I had blocked it completely from memory. Oh, well, time for more therapy.

They changed the Dun-Dun music in England, to something all generic car-chasy. Not pleased. '10.5'! I was in the US at the time and I remember the incessant trailers for it, and then what a let-down the actual piece was. I think I was stuck on a cruise-ship at the time and had little but NBC, too. Definitely looking up Shields and Yarnell.

benbradley
05-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Oh! Oh! I've got it!

Shields and Yarnell.

I win.
I never even heard of this show. From others' reactions, it looks like I'm the winner here.

mario_c
12-06-2008, 11:42 AM
The Dukes of Hazzard.
Anyone remember when Enos had his own show? It went on to a highly precedented 2 episode run. :D

Other 70s variety shows: Sha Na Na. And $1.98 Beauty Queen with Rip Taylor.

Beautiful_Liar
02-20-2009, 03:18 AM
Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader?
and tons other stupid, gameshow type or reality shows.

Gynn
02-20-2009, 04:18 AM

Do I ever! When I was 12, I would have loved a robot girl...

Actually, I still want a robot girl (woman).

Izunya
02-20-2009, 05:54 AM
Manimal.

I don't think that requires any explanation.

:eek:

I see your Manimal and raise you Automan.

Same director, IIRC. So if anyone is actually looking for lousy TV, that could be a place to start . . .

Izunya

Marina Snow
02-20-2009, 07:28 AM
The Munsters.

StephanieFox
02-20-2009, 08:55 AM
None of you have mentioned much that was broadcast before 1960. There was plenty of bad TV back then.

Did any of you ever see "The Funny Company", a kids' show. It had a theme song promising 'Stories, Songs, Toys! And lots of things of interest and fun for girls and boys," but there were none of those.

A Family Affair; why did those people talk so slowly and pause so long between lines. Why was there never any tension in their voices (whining is not tension.) No wonder the child actors all ending in rehab.

Alf? Ick.

I hate any afternoon or weekend children's cartoon show from the 1980s, when they couldn't even bother to animate the animated characters. Watch the mouths move and the background repeat. Feh! I'm glad I had better (Warner Bros cartoons!)

Quark? Loved it. Satire, not supposed to be realisitic.

Lost in Space? Campy ON PURPOSE. It wasn't supposed to be straight science fiction, it was supposed to be a little silly. "Danger, Will Robinson!"

selkn.asrai
02-20-2009, 08:59 AM
Ren and Stimpy. Grossest, most overrated cartoon ever. I wasn't allowed to watch it when I was younger, and I'm glad.

CaroGirl
02-20-2009, 04:54 PM
The actual, in fact, real, worst TV show ever made was a low-budget Canadian CTV production (1970-71) called The Trouble With Tracy. I used to watch it. The sets were made of cardboard, no one could act, they didn't rehearse enough so no one knew their lines, and whenever they made a mistake they just left it in.

It's a fact: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trouble_with_Tracy

Gravity
02-20-2009, 11:47 PM
The Starlost. Canadian 70's space-ark saga shot on videotape (!) and starring Keir Dullea (!) of 2001: A Space Odyssey fame. Penned by Harlan Ellison, who was so horrified at the final result he had the producers list him as one Cordwainer Bird. Ran maybe six or so episodes before Main Termination Sequence Initiated...

CaroGirl
02-20-2009, 11:52 PM
The Starlost. Canadian 70's space-ark saga shot on videotape (!) and starring Keir Dullea (!) of 2001: A Space Odyssey fame. Penned by Harlan Ellison, who was so horrified at the final result he had the producers list him as one Cordwainer Bird. Ran maybe six or so episodes before Main Termination Sequence Initiated...
I remember The Starlost!! Oh my. Yes. That was bad.

Alpha Echo
02-21-2009, 12:03 AM
Ren and Stimpy. Grossest, most overrated cartoon ever. I wasn't allowed to watch it when I was younger, and I'm glad.

I agree, and I wasn't allowed to watch it either. Sometimes, my friends would have it on, and I thought it was stupid.

2old2pb
02-21-2009, 03:24 AM
Automan with Desi Arnaz Jr.

WriteKnight
02-21-2009, 04:35 AM
"Captain Nice" - which went head to head with "Mr. Terrific"

dragonjax
02-21-2009, 04:50 AM
I still have to scroll through all the posts here, but just in case no one's mentioned it yet...

The Perils of Penelope Pitstop. (http://www.hotink.com/wacky/pitstop/)

MrWrite
02-21-2009, 08:08 AM
Worst shows for me were Alf, Cavemen, Bigfoot and the hendersons or was it Harry and the Hendersons? and any and all reality shows! I HATE them! :rant: