Need some drug assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
I have a character who has a drug problem. Some sort of heavy, prescription sleeping pills, or possibly a strong antidepressant. basically something that would zonk normal folks out pretty quick, but to which a longtime user could build up a tolerance. They would have to be hard to obtain unless you A) knew a very liberal doctor or B) Had tons of $ for the local drug dealers.

Can anyone offer a good suggestion?

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Any powerful oral narcotic drug would do: examples are hydrocodone (Vicodin), oxycodone (Percodan, Oxycontin), hydromorphone (Dilaudid), or methodone. All are prescription drugs but are also widely available on the street.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Hi, Dave. Nemutol (sp?). That was Marilyn Monroe's drug of choice, or at least one of them. I used it in one of my stories to really put somebody out.

Tri
Barbiturates like that are not used so much these days as sleeping pills, although they would work, too. Most sleeping pills these days are similar to Ambien, which is related to the Valium class of benzodiazepines but much safer than others in that class (and much less addicting).

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Chris! I'm leaning more toward the Oxycontin or Vicodin, though, just because it's a more recognizable drug these days than Nemutol. Hey, BTW, I have a blog now. If ya get time go check it out (link is in my sig). I'll leave ya a rep point. :D

Thanks, Coloradoguy! Those are perfect. I had thought about Oxycontin, but I wasn't sure what the uses were. I know I was prescribed Percodan a few years back when I had a kidney stone, but that was for pain, not to put me to sleep. Still, in the case of the character, painkillers and sleeping pills are pretty much interchangeable.

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score
While narcotics such as oxycontin are not designed to put someone to sleep, a heavy dose to an unseasoned user would certainly zonk them out, make them groggy, and possibly even put them to sleep. And they would be loving every minute of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.