Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Rock singers only please.
  1. Freddy Mercury - Queen
  2. Dug Pinnick - King's X
  3. Sebastian Bach - Skid Row
  4. Geoff Tate - Queensryche
  5. James Hetfield - Metallica (not a pure singer like the other guys, but you gotta love him.)
(note to Devil Ledbetter - Eddie Vedder can't be ALL 5!) :D

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Agree with Freddy.

Because that's redundancy, I'll cite five more:

Burton Cummings - Guess Who
Bon Scott - AC/DC (and I doubledamdareya to leave him off any list that includes other metal band front guys)
Little Richard (who cannot like this guy?)
Janis Joplin (let's not leave females off this list)
Bob Seger

caw

Oh, and for sheer amusement, of a thoroughly enjoyable sort, check this out:

http://www.jericsmith.com/worstbands.htm

newmod

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I´ll have to think about this one, maybe you´ll say 1 or 2 are not rock depends on your definition I suppose, but well here goes:

Jazz Coleman - Killing Joke
Justin Sullivan - New Model Army
Trent Reznor - Nine Inch Nails
Corey Taylor - Slipknot
Maynard James Keenan -Tool

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Freddy Mercury-QUEEN
Rob Halford-JUDAS PRIEST
Ronnie James Dio-BLACK SABBATH/DIO
Ozzy Osbourne-'nuff said
Lou Gramm-Foreigner

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Crap. I forgot somebody important, pre-Beatles, who I'd put ahead of Seger on my list:

Jay Black, of Jay and the Americans. Dude could sing. Still can, in fact, even in his sixties.

caw

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
I have to agree. Freddy Mercury most certainly belongs on this list. And #1 is the right spot for him, too.

1. Freddie Mercury (Queen)
2. Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin NOTE: ONLY in his Led Zeppelin days, I didn't like his solo work)
3. Brad Delp (Boston - how is it possible no one has mentioned him yet? How?)
4. Steve Perry (Journey - ditto)
5. Janis Joplin (C'mon! She's GOTTA be on this list!!)

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
Ian Gillian
Ronnie James Dio
David Byron
Rob Halford
Steve Walsh

Mike

lauram

Freddie Mercury Devotee
Registered
Reaction score
You guys warmed my heart. I saw the title of this thread and thought, Freddie Mercury better be on there. :)
I was so in love with him when I was 12-15.

I saw Queen and Paul Rodgers in Cleveland last year. Paul was surprisingly good. I hadn't expected him to sound much like Freddie, but he actually sounded pretty close on some of the songs. I don't think he has Freddie's range or skill, but he's not too bad.

1. Freddie Mercury
2. Michael Stipe
3.Chris Cornell
4.Eddie Vedder
5. Deborah Harry

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Jim Morrison might have had a variety of qualities, but singing wasn't among the strongest of them.
Yeah, he didn't sing so much as shout most of the time. He did manage some decent lyrics when he wasn't too stoned.

Just what are you implying and there'd better be an RP in it for me. ;)
If Freddy had been inspired by your bottom, Wynter, the song would be titled, Perfectly Sized and Impossibly Flawless Bottomed Girls.

He had a wonderful voice, but in some cases, his choice of songs, well, leaves a lot to be desired.

Can we cross Janis Joplin off the list? That poor woman couldn't carry a tune to save her life. Maybe we can replace her with Grace Slick or Chrissie Hynde.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Jim Morrison might have had a variety of qualities, but singing wasn't among the strongest of them.

caw

That's what I love about lists like this. There are guys who are just pure genetically engineered singing machines (Sebastian Bach comes to mind - range, vibrato, control, tonality, edge) but then there are guys who just emote so well when they sing (Costello, Stipe, Maynard, Morrison, Vedder). I think that's why I put Mercury and Pinnick as my top two - they had the full package. If you haven't heard Dug Pinnick sing, you haven't lived.

lauram

Freddie Mercury Devotee
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Freddie was admittedly bisexual. I read in one of his biographies that he liked large breasted women. Besides that, Brian May wrote Fat Bottomed Girls.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Scribble, scribble, scribble
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crossquarter.com
Perhaps the single greatest singer of the 1970s:

Brian Connolly

Lead vocal for The Sweet, whose range was easily five octaves, & (more importantly) covered with power & control in its entirety. So influential that he was in fact ripped off by Freddy Mercury.

Unfortunately, his meteoric rise was felled by heavy alcoholism, from which the band with sadness asked him to leave in 1979, & his string of heart attacks in 1981 broke him.

If you can find a copy of Desolation Boulevard (though the "Hits" albums are, well, merely okay), put on the headphones & give a listen to Connolly's talent.

Nolita

Registered
Reaction score
:cry: No Jeff Buckley? *sniff* How could you? *pout*:e2cry:

McDuff

Registered
Reaction score
This is hard...

The temptation is to just go Mercury, Plant, Dio, Osborne, Tyler, but everyone's already gone there, and I note that the only female vocalist who's been mentioned is Janis Joplin. So, here's five that deserve mention even if they're not necessarily as influential as the guys:

Anneke van Giersbergen
Cristina Scabbia
Joan Jett
Siouxsie Sioux
Lou Rhodes.

It's hard to get a list of truly "top 5" singers because Rock is such a diverse genre, but these all see my playlist just as much as the male rockers I mentioned earlier, and none of them are shabby at this whole singing thing. I think that over the 21st century as the decades where rock was principally A Guy Thing recede into the past, we'll see people like Jett and Rhodes moving upwards into the pantheon of the truly influential.

Last edited:

Nolita

Registered
Reaction score
Top 5 female rock singers?

Anne Wilson
Tina Turner
Lita Ford
Pat Benetar
David Bowie

Before anyone gets mad at me, Lita kept up with Ozzy(power ballad but still). Plus she shreds on guitar, so she gets bonus points. Pat, well come on, you gotta respect those pipes, even if you don't like her style. David transcends gender.

Last edited: