View Full Version : Top 5 ROCK singers

III
04-28-2007, 06:27 AM
Rock singers only please.

Freddy Mercury - Queen
Dug Pinnick - King's X
Sebastian Bach - Skid Row
Geoff Tate - Queensryche
James Hetfield - Metallica (not a pure singer like the other guys, but you gotta love him.)(note to Devil Ledbetter - Eddie Vedder can't be ALL 5!) :D

blacbird
04-28-2007, 06:49 AM
Agree with Freddy.

Because that's redundancy, I'll cite five more:

Burton Cummings - Guess Who
Bon Scott - AC/DC (and I doubledamdareya to leave him off any list that includes other metal band front guys)
Little Richard (who cannot like this guy?)
Janis Joplin (let's not leave females off this list)
Bob Seger

caw

Oh, and for sheer amusement, of a thoroughly enjoyable sort, check this out:

http://www.jericsmith.com/worstbands.htm

Silver King
04-28-2007, 07:07 AM
What? No Jim Morrison? For shame...:)

newmod
04-28-2007, 07:14 AM
Hmm, IŽll have to think about this one, maybe youŽll say 1 or 2 are not rock depends on your definition I suppose, but well here goes:

Jazz Coleman - Killing Joke
Justin Sullivan - New Model Army
Trent Reznor - Nine Inch Nails
Corey Taylor - Slipknot
Maynard James Keenan -Tool

wyntermoon
04-28-2007, 07:18 AM
I can't get past Mercury *holding lighter aloft*

Silver King
04-28-2007, 07:26 AM
I can't get past Mercury *holding lighter aloft*
Fat Bottomed Girls?

Writer2011
04-28-2007, 07:29 AM
Freddy Mercury-QUEEN
Rob Halford-JUDAS PRIEST
Ronnie James Dio-BLACK SABBATH/DIO
Ozzy Osbourne-'nuff said
Lou Gramm-Foreigner

Devil Ledbetter
04-28-2007, 07:53 AM
(note to Devil Ledbetter - Eddie Vedder can't be ALL 5!)
But he can be number one!

Eddie Vedder
Chris Cornell
Robert Plant
Roger Daltrey
Freddie Mercury

blacbird
04-28-2007, 09:09 AM
What? No Jim Morrison? For shame...:)

Jim Morrison might have had a variety of qualities, but singing wasn't among the strongest of them.

caw

blacbird
04-28-2007, 09:13 AM
Crap. I forgot somebody important, pre-Beatles, who I'd put ahead of Seger on my list:

Jay Black, of Jay and the Americans. Dude could sing. Still can, in fact, even in his sixties.

caw

David McAfee
04-28-2007, 09:57 AM
I have to agree. Freddy Mercury most certainly belongs on this list. And #1 is the right spot for him, too.

1. Freddie Mercury (Queen)
2. Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin NOTE: ONLY in his Led Zeppelin days, I didn't like his solo work)
3. Brad Delp (Boston - how is it possible no one has mentioned him yet? How?)
4. Steve Perry (Journey - ditto)
5. Janis Joplin (C'mon! She's GOTTA be on this list!!)

moblues
04-28-2007, 10:11 AM
Ian Gillian
Ronnie James Dio
David Byron
Rob Halford
Steve Walsh

Mike

lauram
04-28-2007, 04:09 PM
You guys warmed my heart. I saw the title of this thread and thought, Freddie Mercury better be on there. :)
I was so in love with him when I was 12-15.

I saw Queen and Paul Rodgers in Cleveland last year. Paul was surprisingly good. I hadn't expected him to sound much like Freddie, but he actually sounded pretty close on some of the songs. I don't think he has Freddie's range or skill, but he's not too bad.

1. Freddie Mercury
2. Michael Stipe
3.Chris Cornell
4.Eddie Vedder
5. Deborah Harry

wyntermoon
04-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Fat Bottomed Girls?

Just what are you implying and there'd better be an RP in it for me. ;)

Silver King
04-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Jim Morrison might have had a variety of qualities, but singing wasn't among the strongest of them.
Yeah, he didn't sing so much as shout most of the time. He did manage some decent lyrics when he wasn't too stoned.

If Freddy had been inspired by your bottom, Wynter, the song would be titled, Perfectly Sized and Impossibly Flawless Bottomed Girls.

He had a wonderful voice, but in some cases, his choice of songs, well, leaves a lot to be desired.

Can we cross Janis Joplin off the list? That poor woman couldn't carry a tune to save her life. Maybe we can replace her with Grace Slick or Chrissie Hynde.

wyntermoon
04-28-2007, 05:20 PM
If Freddy had been inspired by your bottom, Wynter, the song would be titled, Perfectly Sized and Impossibly Flawless Bottomed Girls.

You're good. You're very very good...

Devil Ledbetter
04-28-2007, 05:22 PM
I think we can be pretty certain that girls' bottoms were not an inspiration to Freddy.

III
04-28-2007, 07:16 PM

caw

That's what I love about lists like this. There are guys who are just pure genetically engineered singing machines (Sebastian Bach comes to mind - range, vibrato, control, tonality, edge) but then there are guys who just emote so well when they sing (Costello, Stipe, Maynard, Morrison, Vedder). I think that's why I put Mercury and Pinnick as my top two - they had the full package. If you haven't heard Dug Pinnick sing, you haven't lived.

lauram
04-28-2007, 08:42 PM
Hey, Freddie was admittedly bisexual. I read in one of his biographies that he liked large breasted women. Besides that, Brian May wrote Fat Bottomed Girls.

Cav Guy
04-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Freddy Mercury
Rob Halford
Bon Scott
Bruce Dickinson
Warrel Dane

Anthony Ravenscroft
04-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Perhaps the single greatest singer of the 1970s:

Brian Connolly

Lead vocal for The Sweet, whose range was easily five octaves, & (more importantly) covered with power & control in its entirety. So influential that he was in fact ripped off by Freddy Mercury.

Unfortunately, his meteoric rise was felled by heavy alcoholism, from which the band with sadness asked him to leave in 1979, & his string of heart attacks in 1981 broke him.

If you can find a copy of Desolation Boulevard (though the "Hits" albums are, well, merely okay), put on the headphones & give a listen to Connolly's talent.

Nolita
04-28-2007, 09:52 PM
:cry: No Jeff Buckley? *sniff* How could you? *pout*:e2cry:

McDuff
04-28-2007, 10:24 PM
This is hard...

The temptation is to just go Mercury, Plant, Dio, Osborne, Tyler, but everyone's already gone there, and I note that the only female vocalist who's been mentioned is Janis Joplin. So, here's five that deserve mention even if they're not necessarily as influential as the guys:

Anneke van Giersbergen (http://www.gathering.nl/membres.php?id=anneke&swap=ok&l=1)
Cristina Scabbia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cristina_Scabbia)
Joan Jett
Siouxsie Sioux
Lou Rhodes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Rhodes).

It's hard to get a list of truly "top 5" singers because Rock is such a diverse genre, but these all see my playlist just as much as the male rockers I mentioned earlier, and none of them are shabby at this whole singing thing. I think that over the 21st century as the decades where rock was principally A Guy Thing recede into the past, we'll see people like Jett and Rhodes moving upwards into the pantheon of the truly influential.

wyntermoon
04-28-2007, 11:18 PM
My husband is dismayed, no, shocked no one has mentioned Danzig (http://www.danzig-verotik.com/danzig/danzig_bio.html).

Nolita
04-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Top 5 female rock singers?

Anne Wilson
Tina Turner
Lita Ford
Pat Benetar
David Bowie

Before anyone gets mad at me, Lita kept up with Ozzy(power ballad but still). Plus she shreds on guitar, so she gets bonus points. Pat, well come on, you gotta respect those pipes, even if you don't like her style. David transcends gender.

wyntermoon
04-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Ahhh, Bowie. He's a strange, beautiful man. I adore him.

lauram
04-29-2007, 07:54 AM
and I note that the only female vocalist who's been mentioned is Janis Joplin.

Hey, I said Deborah Harry. :)

And, as someone pointed out, how the hell did I forget Jeff Buckley. He is one of my favorite singers. Plus I love Thom Yorke. How did I forget him too? Probably because I was reliving my Freddie Mercury obsession...

waylander
04-29-2007, 11:46 AM
Top 5 female rock singers?

Anne Wilson
Tina Turner
Lita Ford
Pat Benetar
David Bowie

Before anyone gets mad at me, Lita kept up with Ozzy(power ballad but still). Plus she shreds on guitar, so she gets bonus points. Pat, well come on, you gotta respect those pipes, even if you don't like her style. David transcends gender.

Got to find a place for Tarja Turunen amongst the female rock singers

Nolita
04-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Got to find a place for Tarja Turunen amongst the female rock singers

First I will listen to her. Then I'll decide if she gives David the boot. Just happy nobody's named a certain someone who's real talent lay not in her voice, but who she's laid. I dare not speak her name.

waylander
04-29-2007, 10:36 PM
You decide
http://www.nightwish.com/en/files/audio

Nolita
04-29-2007, 11:18 PM
David stays. Tarja sounds like an angel. She doesn't rock. Just my opinion. Dem's da breaks kid.

Now go write your own list. You can put anybody you want on it, that's the fun. :)

Yeah I boohooed about Jeff Buckley, but was semi-joking. He was amazing. Then I remembered I could make my own list. :) Go on, make yours.

aka eraser
04-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Van Morrison - he can sing anything and everything - and has.
Bob Seger
Rod Stewart - from '67-'83 or so
Annie Lennox/Stevie Nicks/Chryssie Hynde - tie
John Fogerty

poetic peony
04-30-2007, 01:00 AM
How about John Kay from Steppenwolf? I have an old solo album of his that Bold Marauder is on. Great song.
Joe Walsh
Freddie Mercury
Robert Plant
Tom Petty

Freddie Mercury, Van Morrison, Peter Gabriel, Dave Cousins are all super talented, but they aren't traditional rockers. Thank goodness for them!

III
04-30-2007, 06:35 PM
If you're talking about great singers who transcend gender, you've gotta put Sanjya on the list. <runs away, bobbing and weaving>

Andre_Laurent
04-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Geoff Tate
Bruce Dickenson
Ronnie James Dio - met him couple of times, super nice dude
Rob Halford
Tony Martin - Black Sabbath a while back...guy was a fantastic studio singer

tourdeforce
04-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Bruce Springsteen
John Fogerty
Bob Dylan
Lennon/McCartney
Michael Stipe

Nolita
04-30-2007, 11:12 PM
If you're talking about great singers who transcend gender, you've gotta put Sanjya on the list. <runs away, bobbing and weaving>

Is that the kid from American Idol? Want a good laugh? Go to youtube and search for bathwater by no doubt. All these little girls having hissy fits over how they think he sang it way better than Gwen. Their poor wittle ears don't work.

BTW ever watch a girl fight? Bobbing and weaving won't save ya.

Turtle07
05-01-2007, 09:56 AM
Whoa, I've only heard two of the singers listed in this whole entire thread. Either they're old singers and I don't know them, or they're new singers and I don't know them. Either way, I don't know them! Hmm, dunno if these are "Rock" singers? But my media player classifies it as rock. Also note that I'm a teen and into more...modern music I guess u can say. (Altho I'm not making fun of anyone so please don't take that as an insult.)

1. Avril Lavigne (Best singer. Hate her new songs, love her old ones.)
2. Simple Plan (I recommend to listen to when ur depressed.)
3. Green Day (Yes, I love Green Day! She's a Rebel is my fave song!)
4. Panic! At the Disco (Weird titles, cool songs.)
5. Breaking Benjamin (A little too loud for my tastes, but I love the beat and the lyrics are ok.)

Dunno if u may classify it as rock, but again, that's what my media player says. Even though it's wrong sometimes. Whoops...

Andre_Laurent
05-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Whoa, I've only heard two of the singers listed in this whole entire thread. Either they're old singers and I don't know them, or they're new singers and I don't know them. Either way, I don't know them! Hmm, dunno if these are "Rock" singers? But my media player classifies it as rock. Also note that I'm a teen and into more...modern music I guess u can say. (Altho I'm not making fun of anyone so please don't take that as an insult.)

1. Avril Lavigne (Best singer. Hate her new songs, love her old ones.)
2. Simple Plan (I recommend to listen to when ur depressed.)
3. Green Day (Yes, I love Green Day! She's a Rebel is my fave song!)
4. Panic! At the Disco (Weird titles, cool songs.)
5. Breaking Benjamin (A little too loud for my tastes, but I love the beat and the lyrics are ok.)

Dunno if u may classify it as rock, but again, that's what my media player says. Even though it's wrong sometimes. Whoops...
Some of us old farts like singers who actually know how to sing. :D These singers were around before braying out of key became popular.

robeiae
05-01-2007, 05:14 PM
Neil Young? :roll:

Okay, okay. Singers, you say?

Guys, in no order:

Freddie Mercury (it's pretty cool that there's so much agreement, here)

Ian Gillan (the man could wail, ala "Child in Time," and let's not forget his operatic talents as Jesus Christ, Superstar)

Axl Rose (I always thought he had a pretty impressive range)

Bond Scott (good call, blacbird)

Buddy Holly (too much influence to leave him off)

Gals, in no order:

Janis Joplin (duh)

Stevie Nicks (sigh)

Linda Ronstadt (hey, all she needed was one rock song to make the list, the lady can sing)

Joan Jett (too cool)

Martha Reeves (don't give me any genre crap--"Nowhere to Run" is transcendent, so she's in)

III
05-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Neil Young? :roll:

Axl Rose (I always thought he had a pretty impressive range)

That's too weird. This morning as I was pulling into work, GNR's version of Live and let Die came on and I was thinking "this is purposefully the worst singing he could possibly do". It was every bit as bad as Neil Young. That said, I loved GNR back in the day so I can't slam Axl too bad.

eldragon
05-01-2007, 05:32 PM
1. Freddie Mercury.
2. Axle Rose.
3. Ronnie James Dio.
4. Joe Lynn Turner.
5. Steven Tyler.

WarrenP
05-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Geoff Tate. IMHO the dynamics and power he hits are incredible. To me a big factor is can they sing on their own, meaning acapella, alone, with nothing other than a mic (with no effects on the mic), and Geoff can easily sing acapella.

Some guys sound good with their band, and make good albums, but to really test their vocals, they have to get away from that setting.

Often, I hear some singers outside the studio, and I wonder how they even got past the local club scene their voices are so awful...

ChunkyC
05-01-2007, 07:56 PM
I'm always amazed at how many technically poor singers make it onto favourites lists.

Neil Young, Robert Plant, Bob Dylan, Stevie Nicks, Madonna -- they all sing FLAT. It actually hurts my ears to listen to them. With that said, they all had other abilities that overshadowed their inability to hit a note properly. Great songwriting, performance talent, emoting, that sort of stuff.

As for those I can listen to:

Freddie Mercury was a fantastic singer. Great range and ingenuity. Able to emote beautifully or blow the roof off the building with equal aplomb.

Ian Gillian of Deep Purple fame had an incredible voice.

Steve Perry of Journey had power and range to spare. You really have to listen to the non-top 40 hits to see what he could truly do.

Paul McCartney. Listen to Hey Jude and Helter Skelter back to back. Hard to believe it's the same guy. Anybody see him perform Helter Skelter on the Grammys a year or so ago? Unbelievable. Every heavy metal band owes him and the rest of the Beatles a tip of the hat. That is a hard rock kick-ass tune like no other, and it was recorded when Jimi Hendrix was learning how to tune a guitar (okay, not quite, but definitely before Jimi became famous.)

Jon Anderson of Yes. Just -- wow. Angelic voice.

Nolita
05-01-2007, 08:21 PM
About Sir Paul, been teasing a friend, trying to convince him, The Beatles invented Metal. He's not biting. I keep offering Helter Skelter and Hey Bulldog as proof, but he won't budge. Heehee It's just fun messing with people :D.

Me I like Robert Plant, but I'll take Anne Wilson over Robert any day of the week. Ever listen to the intro of Sing Child Sing off Dreamboat Annie? Man that's sweet. Great harmony too.

Hey, can we count Cass Elliot? What about Denny Doherty? Or how about all 4 Mamas and the Papas? Maybe that had more to do with arangements than voices? Still, what an amazing sound.

Oh if turtle comes back. Actually, this is old music. Plenty of it came out before I was born though. So being young isn't the best excuse. I will excuse you because you haven't been exposed to the stuff. Once you hear it you'll be hooked.

Take any name mentioned in this thread, and use it to search on YouTube. Then you'll get where everyone's coming from. Start with Freddie Mercury, and Queen. The consensus is he had the most amazing voice, maybe ever.

Also, search for Joan Jett. You like Avril, you'll love Joan. Avril's like the Lite version of Joan. Joan's been playing/singing since she was a kid. How old was she in the runaways again? Avril probably listened to Joan while she was lying in her crib.

Before folks jump on me, turtle has to hear to learn, and she can't back catalogue without a ton of cash. So l think YouTube's her best option. VH1 has a lot of classic artists, but their software's screwy and hogs resources.

Devil Ledbetter
05-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Jon Anderson of Yes. Just -- wow. Angelic voice.Great call!

Nolita
05-01-2007, 08:34 PM
:Soapbox: Now I'm mad! Why doesn't the turtle know about these great singers? Because MTV can't be arsed to play music anymore! There's MTV2 and VH1 classic, but most kids won't watch those channels, especially not VH1 classic.

When I was a kid, MTV stood for music television. With the exception of The Real World, they showed videos or shows about music. I hadn't heard Led Zeppelin because my mom didn't have any in her collection. But you know I sought the music when someone on Head Banger's Ball, sited them as an influence. Same with Hendrix, and many others.

Sorry, but if Avril Levine(SP?), and others didn't pretend like they pulled their sounds out of thin air, turtle and other kids would know better, and they would listen to a lot of amazing music. Instead of just settling for what they're spoon fed.

Hissy Fit over. You may now return to the discussion. I just got riled.

ChunkyC
05-01-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm withya, Nolita. I growed up long before MTV, and so had to rely on the radio and my rather measly record collection. Thank goodness my mom was a brilliant musician. She introduced me to classical and big band music long before I reached puberty. Heck, my very first favourite drummer was Buddy Rich, even before I saw the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show way back in '64 (when I was 8) and became a fan of theirs. :)

Nolita
05-01-2007, 09:09 PM
I hear ya. My mom's taste in music was/is very ecclectic. So when I listen to Mary J. Blige, for instance, I know, that she's influenced by Mahalia Jackson, even if she doesn't know it. My mom was always listening to music. Then in the car with my dad, it was the blues, jazz, or nothing. And DON'T mess around with the buttons! Whatever you do! Leave the buttons alone.

Not too long ago, The Stones sued The Verve over using a sample from one of their songs. Keith Richards had his own hissy fit. All about how they should come up with their own sounds. Like The Rolling Stones were just so original. Like they never borrowed from another artist or genre in their lives. BS baby. I know better. I still love the stones, but come on. Forgive Keith though, cuz he's got a lot of chemicals running through his veins.

So imagine how happy I was when I played Jeff Buckley's cover of Hallelujah for my mom and she melted. I could have played the original version for her years earlier, but she's like you when it comes to voices. She would have griped my ear off, about how "That guy can't sing!".

C.bronco
05-01-2007, 09:23 PM
I can't ever get sick of Robert Plant's voice. I could listen to it all day.
Rob Halford is amazing, especially live.
How about
Mick Jagger, Annie Lennox, Aretha Franklin, Cris Cornell, Roy Orbison

Writer2011
05-01-2007, 09:38 PM
As for the top five women singers..

1. Martha Reeves (without a doubt)
2. Stevie Nicks (she can belt em' out)
3. Laura Branigan ('nuff said)
4. Pat Benetar ("Invincible")
5. Ann Wilson

There are others but these are my top five :)

eldragon
05-01-2007, 09:39 PM
In my opinion, the best singer in the world (ok, my world) is Sinead O'Connor.

Writer2011
05-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Some of us old farts like singers who actually know how to sing. :D These singers were around before braying out of key became popular.
Amen to that...whatever happened to pure Rock and Roll? I don't listen to much past 1986 or 87... RARELY listen to the new stuff...

eldragon
05-01-2007, 09:42 PM
I could never listen to Heart because that singing is just too shrill for my tastes.

And I can't be a Stevie Nicks fan because a friend of mine was her limo driver once, and she gave him a whole sheet of rules, which included:

"Don't look at me. No eye contact at all."

Please.

ChunkyC
05-01-2007, 10:07 PM
Wow. And no brown m&m's in the dressing room, I bet. ;)

Love her in Fleetwood Mac, though, even though she was always just below the note. That particular lineup was one of those magical musical collaborations.

Annie Lennox is another great female vocalist. Power and style galore.

ChunkyC
05-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Amen to that...whatever happened to pure Rock and Roll? I don't listen to much past 1986 or 87... RARELY listen to the new stuff...
If you want new stuff worth listening to from folks who can sing, might I suggest:

Alison Krauss
John Mayer
Josh Groban
Joss Stone
Norah Jones

Not rockers, but great musicians and singers all. Alison Krauss and Norah Jones in particular have voices that just make me melt.

Like you, I'm not that up on modern rockers since I find much of it unappealing.

eldragon
05-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Wow. And no brown m&m's in the dressing room, I bet. ;)

Love her in Fleetwood Mac, though, even though she was always just below the note. That particular lineup was one of those magical musical collaborations.

Annie Lennox is another great female vocalist. Power and style galore.

Right. But the real pathetic thing about Stevie Nicks and her long list of things the guy couldn't do around her, (including answering his cell phone - even if it was his boss,) was that this happened less than 3 years ago. Hardly the height of her career.

Annie Lennox is good.

cray
05-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Alison Krauss
John Mayer
Josh Groban
Joss Stone
Norah Jones

i just don't get the whole "josh groban" thing. he's so popular but it's really lost on me.

robeiae
05-01-2007, 11:31 PM
"Josh Groban"?

It sounds like slang for copin' a feel...

I was josh groban ya.

The Grift
05-01-2007, 11:42 PM
Seriously? No Bono? Anywhere on anyone's list? The guy has power and range like nobody else.

Otherwise, I'm seeing some pretty good choices. Chris Cornell, Freddy Mercury, and yes even Steve Perry.

Nolita
05-02-2007, 12:01 AM
I like Bono, just not when he Bonos too much.

Mika does a pretty good Freddie impression. He'll find his own voice soon enough, but it's fun listening to his Freddie phase.

Someone tell me when Josh Groban rocked though.

OMG how did I forget Michael Hutchence? He had some sort of weird cross-mojo goin' on, and it worked too. He had range, but didn't show off, kinda like Chrissie Hynde. Kept the high notes in his kit for when he needed them.

Sigh, they replaced him with some guy who looks like a rat. Seriously, he has a cheese-eatin' grin and everything. Creepy.

Andre_Laurent
05-02-2007, 12:03 AM
Same here...I like good music not the garbage pumped out today. I REALLY can't stand it when you listen the music channels and the music begins...and sometimes it's good...then the "singer" opens his piehole and begins barking like a dog.

Andre_Laurent
05-02-2007, 12:06 AM
I could never listen to Heart because that singing is just too shrill for my tastes.

And I can't be a Stevie Nicks fan because a friend of mine was her limo driver once, and she gave him a whole sheet of rules, which included:

"Don't look at me. No eye contact at all."

Please.
I've met the dark haired singer from heart...can't remember her name...but I can remember that she was a real female dog.

Nolita
05-02-2007, 12:23 AM
I've met the dark haired singer from heart...can't remember her name...but I can remember that she was a real female dog.

Anne Wilson. It's okay, you can call her a bitch. Bitch is in the dictionary, won't get mad at you. All I ask is that you try to remember we're all bitchy on a bad day.

ChunkyC
05-02-2007, 12:40 AM
Someone tell me when Josh Groban rocked though.
Like, never? :)

But the kid has an astonishing voice, the kind that makes a born-again agnostic like me think some greater power really must have created the universe because you just can't imagine something so miraculous occurring purely by chance.

'course, Josh'll tell ya that all the years and years of practice doesn't constitute 'chance.' ;)

Give a listen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaQjPacsZgE), and be amazed at the beauty of the human voice.

Nolita
05-02-2007, 01:32 AM
Practice is useless without ability, and some would say the opposite's true as well. I'm sure he knows he's gifted. Oh I'm familiar with his voice. It's amazing. I just thought he pulled a Celine Dion move, and nobody told me.

Remember when she butchered "You Shook Me All Night Long" by AC/DC on Divas Live? Managed to suck the soul right out of it. She's a succubus I tell you.

Who's that little boy who sang the duet with Charlotte Church? I can't for the life of me remember his name, and YouTube's kinda useless for her stuff right now. It's mostly show clips(apparently they gave her a television series on the BBC), and her new stuff. I miss the sweet angelic Charlotte.

ChunkyC
05-02-2007, 01:45 AM
Oh yeah, me too. What an amazing impact she made with her debut, eh?

Remember when she butchered "You Shook Me All Night Long" by AC/DC on Divas Live?
*shudder* Reminds me of Pat Boone and his album of heavy metal tunes, done big band style. *plugs ears, but the sound is already in his head*

So, back to the rockers:

Sting. His solo stuff veered away from rock, but what an amazing talent.

(I'm gonna get spanked for this one, I bet):

David Lee Roth, in his prime with Van Halen. Yes, I know he's completely insane. But those first few VH albums were fargin' GREAT and he was the perfect front man for them. Too bad he very quickly bought into his own hype.

Silver King
05-02-2007, 01:50 AM
David Lee Roth, in his prime with Van Halen.
I saw them in concert once, and Roth was rockin', all right. They opened for the original Black Sabbath.

Man, I feel old all of a sudden...

Nolita
05-02-2007, 01:55 AM
Now I'll get spanked:

David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar? Pick one, just one. Flip-flop if you have to but settle on one.

I'm gonna cop out and pick David Lee Roth drunk off his butt on Cabo Wabo :D

ChunkyC
05-02-2007, 02:14 AM
Speaking of feeling old....

How about Steve Walsh of Kansas? Carry On Wayward Son is a brilliant vocal performance. And I think every kid who picked up a guitar in the late 70s must have learned Dust in the Wind. You couldn't walk into a music store without hearing it being played by some kid plinking away on a strat or Les Paul.

That and Stairway to Heaven. I have no idea how the people working in music stores at the time could stand it. ;)

Nolita
05-02-2007, 02:20 AM
Hey! Mental image thrust into my head! Seriously, that smarts! Quit it. :P

On topic, did you see Wayne's World? Remember that scene where Wayne goes to try out Excalibur(only the ultimate guitar), and he just gets the tiniest bit of Stairway to heaven out, before the music store employee points to the "No Stairway To Heaven" sign? Laughing now. Good times. Damnit! I'm old!

Tarnation, dagnabit, sifferin'-sufferin'-succoutash! GET OFF MY LAWN!

WarrenP
05-02-2007, 02:24 AM

Although you can't call them new, they continue to put out great albums... if you are looking for "real" rock from today, check out Dream Theater (http://www.dreamtheater.net/). I love those guys. Their last album, Octavarium (http://www.dreamtheater.net/disco_dreamtheater.php?s=octavarium), was great, and they have a new one coming out very soon.

Pagey's_Girl
05-02-2007, 03:29 PM

Hey, you gotta remember, we make the rockin' world go round! ;)

Pagey's_Girl
05-02-2007, 03:34 PM
My list?

Freddie Mercury
Robert Plant
Geddy Lee (Rush) - especially the band's albums from around the late 80s on.
Roy Orbinson
Janis Jopin/Deborah Harry/Pat Benetar - three reasons I can never get into "chick singers" like Sheryl Crow. [old fogey] Dagnabbit, when I was your age, women knew how to ROCK! [/old fogey]

Lyxdeslic
05-02-2007, 04:04 PM
1. Chris Cornell
2. Eddie Vedder
3. Robert Plant
4. Jeff Buckley
5. Andrew wood

Rolling Thunder
05-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Liberace
The entire cast of 'Cats'.

robeiae
05-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Hey, you gotta remember, we make the rockin' world go round! ;)
Damn straight.

Now, get on your bike and ride!

robeiae
05-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Liberace
The entire cast of 'Cats'.
You're a sick, sick person.

:ROFL:

C.bronco
05-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Someone mentioned rocking Ozzy as opposed to sad Ozzy. This morning I was thinking about Master of Reality:

"I'm going through change-e-e-es..."
Now sway with me

III
05-02-2007, 05:23 PM
Although you can't call them new, they continue to put out great albums... if you are looking for "real" rock from today, check out Dream Theater (http://www.dreamtheater.net/). I love those guys. Their last album, Octavarium (http://www.dreamtheater.net/disco_dreamtheater.php?s=octavarium), was great, and they have a new one coming out very soon.

I'm a HUGE DT fan. I watch the DVD of Metropolis: Scenes from a Memory at least once a week. They're the most tallented band ever. James LaBrie's live singing used to be unbearable, but he's actually gotten much better recently. The other guys are just off the charts.

Now I'll get spanked:

David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar? Pick one, just one. Flip-flop if you have to but settle on one.

I'm gonna cop out and pick David Lee Roth drunk off his butt on Cabo Wabo :D

I've never been able to stand Sammy. DLR was the real deal - the embodiment of the LA rock scene. Plus he brought Steve Vai into the limelight and I'm forever greatful for that!

Andre_Laurent
05-02-2007, 05:28 PM
My list?

Freddie Mercury
Robert Plant
Geddy Lee (Rush) - especially the band's albums from around the late 80s on.
Roy Orbinson
Janis Jopin/Deborah Harry/Pat Benetar - three reasons I can never get into "chick singers" like Sheryl Crow. [old fogey] Dagnabbit, when I was your age, women knew how to ROCK! [/old fogey]
Rush is a fantastic band....forgot about them.

cletus
05-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Ronnie James Dio
Klaus Meine (Scorpions)
King Diamond
Bruce Dickenson
Jerry Garcia - Yes, I know he was flat most of the time and he forgot the words quite a bit, but there is nobody else that can sing those old Dead songs and make them sound right.

III
05-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Ronnie James Dio
Klaus Meine (Scorpions)
King Diamond
Bruce Dickenson
Jerry Garcia - Yes, I know he was flat most of the time and he forgot the words quite a bit, but there is nobody else that can sing those old Dead songs and make them sound right.

King Diamond? Come on, dude. If you're making an argument for Garcia you gotta make one for KD.

C.bronco
05-02-2007, 06:31 PM
http://a4.vox.com/6a00c11413dbae819d00cdf3a4f9dccb8f-500pi

There can only be one.

robeiae
05-02-2007, 06:33 PM
http://a4.vox.com/6a00c11413dbae819d00cdf3a4f9dccb8f-500pi

There can only be one.

...And you my love, won't you take my hand
We'll go back in time to that mystic land
Where the dew drops cry and the cats meow
I will take you there
I will show you how...

cletus
05-02-2007, 06:35 PM
King Diamond? Come on, dude. If you're making an argument for Garcia you gotta make one for KD.
I could only think of 4 and he was the first person to pop in my head.:D

I thought he was great when I was 15.:Shrug:

C.bronco
05-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Shark Sandwich was a great album.

III
05-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Shark Sandwich was a great album.

Who was the drummer on that one? I read a less-than-glowing review of it once. But let's get back to the topic. Mime is money.

C.bronco
05-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Lemme Kilmister

III
05-02-2007, 07:56 PM
You can't really dust for vomit.

RG570
05-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Jon Anderson.

And John Wetton.

Nolita
05-02-2007, 09:48 PM
What did I miss? Did anyone mention Meatloaf yet? Okay, so I use him eating Krispy Kremes in Fight Club as a tool for dieting(can't touch a donut for days after watching), but he wasn't singing in that.

Liked Bat Out Of Hell, and Bat Out Of Hell II though. Lyrics are mostly sucktacular, but you can't deny his voice.

III
05-02-2007, 10:06 PM
What did I miss? Did anyone mention Meatloaf yet? Okay, so I use him eating Krispy Kremes in Fight Club as a tool for dieting(can't touch a donut for days after watching), but he wasn't singing in that.

Liked Bat Out Of Hell, and Bat Out Of Hell II though. Lyrics are mostly sucktacular, but you can't deny his voice.

The first rule of Meatloaf Club is "you don't talk about Meatloaf Club".
The second rule of Meatloaf Club is ...

sassandgroove
05-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Rock singers only please.

Freddy Mercury - Queen
Dug Pinnick - King's X
Sebastian Bach - Skid Row
Geoff Tate - Queensryche
James Hetfield - Metallica (not a pure singer like the other guys, but you gotta love him.)(note to Devil Ledbetter - Eddie Vedder can't be ALL 5!) :D
SAMMY HAGAR - Occassionally in Van Halen, stands on his own just fine.
JOE ELLIOT- Def Leppard
Freddy
Seb is good. So is Geoff.
Also Robert Plant.
OH Yeah. Ozzy is awesome. And Bruce Dickenson.

Nolita
05-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Anybody besides me, run from the kitchen at the sound of Back in Black, only to find out it's a commercial for a cell phone? How 'bout when it's Iggy Pop's Lust for Life and turns out it's a commercial for a cruise line? Just me?

Inkdaub
05-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Well let's see...

Mike Patton
Ed Vedder
Rob Halford
Peter Steele
Shannon Hoon

Cornell would have made it but he sounds like shit with Audioslave. Also Audioslave are a goofy band. I'm glad they split up. I don't like Rage but Rage was better than Audioslave...more authentic anyway. Soundgarden was better than either one by a huge margin.

Plant has strength and power and range. He could be in there on any given day. Same goes for Mercury. Tate is in here as well.

Inkdaub
05-03-2007, 11:47 AM
Some people made a women in rock list and I want to make one as well...

Benatar rules...head and shoulders above most others. She really belted it out.
Jen Folker
Leslie Feist
Cat Power
Anne Wilson

Amy Lee is smoking hot and I would love to make out with her...but I don't like her singing. She has obvious power but I just don't like the sound of it enough to put her on a list. Except the make out with list.

Sinead is very good, yes.

III
05-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Well let's see...

Mike Patton
Ed Vedder
Rob Halford
Peter Steele
Shannon Hoon

Cornell would have made it but he sounds like shit with Audioslave. Also Audioslave are a goofy band. I'm glad they split up. I don't like Rage but Rage was better than Audioslave...more authentic anyway. Soundgarden was better than either one by a huge margin.

Plant has strength and power and range. He could be in there on any given day. Same goes for Mercury. Tate is in here as well.

I gave you rep points for putting Mike Patton on your list. That guy is amazing. He claims he's never done drugs, so there's definitely something wrong with his wiring. I agree about Audioslave too. A powerhouse like Chris Cornell and a cutting-edge band like Rage and they made elevator music.

chartreuse
05-04-2007, 06:58 AM
Gabba gabba friggin' hey, what about Joey Ramone?

He and the rest of the boys SAVED rock and roll.

cletus
05-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Gabba gabba friggin' hey, what about Joey Ramone?

He and the rest of the boys SAVED rock and roll.
Read the first line of that and thought I'd have Pinhead stuck in my head the rest of the day.

Then read the second line and now have The Dictators "Who Will Save Rock and Roll?" stuck in there.

Nolita
05-04-2007, 08:34 PM
This Ain't Rock N' Roll...This is...GENOCIDE!!!

Oh and I'm tossing in Bryan Ferry on account of versatility, and well, lemme put it this way, guys keep thinking they can seduce me with Usher. Hell No! Roxy Music maybe, but not Usher.

Lady Esther
05-05-2007, 05:49 AM
How can yall not mention Alanis Morissette? She is--hands down:Hail:--the queen of rock :e2headban

I'm also gonna agree with the person who said Avril Lavigne. *Hides under bed*

Billy Joe of Green Day

Michelle Branch

The lead singer in The Used (can't recall his name, but his voice is awesome)

John Rzeznik of Goo Goo Dolls

Lisa Loeb

Melissa Ethridge

Ok, that's more than 5 but...

Nolita
05-05-2007, 05:53 AM
Because Alanis makes my hair stand on end, like fingernails on a chalkboard. But if you love her, that's great, cuz she now needs my love even less.

Oh god, help me now. I may not be the most pious of people, but I swear to you, lady_esther just said Alanis Morissette, Avril Lavigne, and Michelle Branch, in a single post. Please help me lord, I don't ask for help often, but please let me keep my lunch down.

III
05-05-2007, 07:54 AM
Because Alanis makes my hair stand on end, like fingernails on a chalkboard. But if you love her, that's great, cuz she now needs my love even less.

Oh god, help me now. I may not be the most pious of people, but I swear to you, lady_esther just said Alanis Morissette, Avril Lavigne, and Michelle Branch, in a single post. Please help me lord, I don't ask for help often, but please let me keep my lunch down.

Now Nolita, lady_esther is a fresh-faced 19 year old young lady. Let her like what 19 year olds like (before they become jaded). Now on to the real topic - you need to give some more clues about yourself, like how old you are, what you're writing, etc. etc. etc. And what the heck is your avitar? Inquiring minds want to know. (And if you're familiar with that phrase, it tells us something about your age.) :poke:

Oh my gosh I just cut the worst fart ever. Man that stinks!

Nolita
05-05-2007, 08:58 AM
I'm 31 or 32, can't be bothered to do the math(It sucks when you get this old) born 75. Avatar's a universe within a world, within a universe. Digital painting inspired by the final scene in MIB. Writing sci-fi novel, with goal being to finish. So it doesn't have to be good, just complete, since I had false starts before.

Sorry lady-esther. Wasn't meaning harm, just teasing. At least you didn't put Justin Timberlake, he definitely doesn't rock.

Oh wait, here's full sized, if you're even more confused. Worlds (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/18810554/?qo=6&q=by%3Anolitadenise&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps)

Lady Esther
05-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Justin Timberlake! :rant: Do not insult my intellect.

I never understood the hype about him.

Nolita
05-05-2007, 11:26 AM
I didn't say you like him.

III
05-05-2007, 06:27 PM
I'm 31 or 32, can't be bothered to do the math(It sucks when you get this old) born 75. Avatar's a universe within a world, within a universe. Digital painting inspired by the final scene in MIB. Writing sci-fi novel, with goal being to finish. So it doesn't have to be good, just complete, since I had false starts before.

Sorry lady-esther. Wasn't meaning harm, just teasing. At least you didn't put Justin Timberlake, he definitely doesn't rock.

Oh wait, here's full sized, if you're even more confused. Worlds (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/18810554/?qo=6&q=by%3Anolitadenise&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps)

Makes more sense in full size. And I looked through all your posted art - VERY cool. I am impressed. Do you ever do contract artwork?

III
05-05-2007, 06:29 PM

I like Justin Timberlake not.
<No, you have to put a pause in before the "not".>
I like Justin Timberlake pause not.
<No, don't say the word "pause", just wait a few seconds.>
I like Justin Timberlake . . . . . . . . . .
<Okay, I don't think you're...>
NOT!

III
05-06-2007, 05:54 AM

Be careful lady_esther. We extorted someone into admitting they like Clay Aiken earlier.

Turtle07
05-06-2007, 07:42 AM
Now I'm mad! Why doesn't the turtle know about these great singers? Because MTV can't be arsed to play music anymore! There's MTV2 and VH1 classic, but most kids won't watch those channels, especially not VH1 classic.

Eek! :eek: Looks like a riot happened while I was out! Hee, :o I don't watch TV. It kills brain cells. And MTV is the last channel u'll see me watching. Most of my music tastes are influenced by my older sis and friends.

Oh if turtle comes back. Actually, this is old music. Plenty of it came out before I was born though. So being young isn't the best excuse. I will excuse you because you haven't been exposed to the stuff. Once you hear it you'll be hooked.

Aww, I see. I barely listened to any music before my older sis got me hooked. Avril Lavigne was the first artist I liked. I've heard Joan Jett before, but I can't seem to like some of her songs. Her one song "I Love Rock n' Roll" (I think that was sung by her...) is a song I do like tho.

Take any name mentioned in this thread, and use it to search on YouTube. Then you'll get where everyone's coming from. Start with Freddie Mercury, and Queen. The consensus is he had the most amazing voice, maybe ever.

Okie dokie, I'll do that. I can get addicted to an artist's music really quickly so if I start gushing over a singer, I blame u. :D :tongue

Shadow_Ferret
05-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Lonesome Dave
Rod Evans
James Dewar
Rob Zombie
Derek St. Holmes

ChunkyC
05-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Man, I totally forgot to mention Paul Carrack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Carrack). YouTube live performance here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZrN7kSVvoY). Great singer.

Also Paul Rodgers. He was the guy who belted out Free's All Right Now way back when. Then he was in Bad Company and now he's fronting Queen.

Nolita
05-06-2007, 09:16 PM
OMG! Paul Frickin' Rodgers!!! Sorry, I just totally love that a. he's an amazing singer, and b. he doesn't have the gall to try and sound like Freddie, he just sounds like himself :D.

Inkdaub
05-09-2007, 02:56 PM
I have always liked Paul Rodgers.

robeiae
05-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Also Paul Rodgers. He was the guy who belted out Free's All Right Now way back when. Then he was in Bad Company and now he's fronting Queen.
You forgot The Firm. Or maybe you didn't...

benbradley
05-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Rod Stewart - from '67-'83 or so
I wondered if someone would mention him, and how appropriate that you would give a date range...I recently heard a review on NPR of, oh I forget what it was now.

But "Maggie Mae" is (IMHO, of course) one of the greatest rock/pop songs. Woops, I feel another thread coming on...