And now, I bow my head...

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
...and pray to the Patron Saint of Weddings, and the Almighty Goddess of Photography, and ask that they watch over me tomorrow:

And yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of crappy lighting, I will have faith that you will bestowest upon me unfailing guidance to and from my destination, with five intact and inflated tires (including the spare, of course), and a gas tank that doesn't runneth dry.

Let those whom I photograph forgive me my ill-timed camera flashes, as I will forgive them their rules against flash photography. Let autofocus not fail, let the shutter be not jammed, and let the tripod not clatter distractingly upon the tile and cause me to receive ill looks from the dearly beloved. Have mercy upon this humble taker of pictures, and let not the rain utterly fuck up any chances I have at really nice outdoor group portraits. Let not the bride be bitchy, let not the groom be drunk, and let not in-laws quarrel while in mine frame. Watch over me, and protect me from the evils of droppage, malfunctions, miscalculations, and shitty weather.

Amen.

Tomorrow is my first ever legitimate, paid wedding.

I'm probably as nervous as the bride.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
If this is a catholic wedding, get the groom's shoes the night before and use athletic tape to put 'help' on his left shoe sole and 'me' on his right shoe sole.

That happened at my best friend's wedding. The place was howling.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Oops, sorry, you're the photographer and I'm sorta stupid. Ignore the above please.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
If this is a catholic wedding, get the groom's shoes the night before and use athletic tape to put 'help' on his left shoe sole and 'me' on his right shoe sole.

That happened at my best friend's wedding. The place was howling.

It IS a Catholic wedding, but somehow I don't think I'm going to have access to the groom's shoes. LOL

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Also, pray the photog gods remind you to change the asa settings on the camera when you switch from 100 to 400 asa film.:D

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Make sure you change the white balance from outside to inside. And... Oh, don't forget to take pictures of the little ring bearer and flower girls generally being adorable during the reception.

If it's outdoors, backlighting with fill is your friend.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Make sure you change the white balance from outside to inside. And... Oh, don't forget to take pictures of the little ring bearer and flower girls generally being adorable during the reception.

If it's outdoors, backlighting with fill is your friend.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

Oh, I know what I'm doing...I'm just always afraid of the little stupid unexpected catastrophic shit: like the camera melting in my hands, or the maid of honor exploding in the middle of a perfectly composed wedding party shot.

Not to mention me doing something stupid like...forgetting batteries.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe270
Also, pray the photog gods remind you to change the asa settings on the camera when you switch from 100 to 400 asa film.

Fortunately, I'm going digital.

I am completly and hopelessly technologically challenged. I will slink away now.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I am completly and hopelessly technologically challenged. I will slink away now.

LOL ASA just has to do with film speeds. 100, 200, 400, etc. Higher number for lower light situations. I usually shoot either 100, 160, or 400.

Digital has ASA settings as well, actually...but it mostly refers to film.

Gotta love photojargon.

Reaction score
He's been published online and in various magazines, and he spends money on new lenses and shit like that, drooling over various camera gadgets the way I drool over books.

He keeps asking me, "Why do you buy so many books when you can use a library?" But he's not a bookworm, so he doesn't 'get it'. I just say, "For the same reason you buy different flash bulbs and hoozits and thingummyjigs when you don't really need them. It's what you like doing."

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
He's been published online and in various magazines, and he spends money on new lenses and shit like that, drooling over various camera gadgets the way I drool over books.

He keeps asking me, "Why do you buy so many books when you can use a library?" But he's not a bookworm, so he doesn't 'get it'. I just say, "For the same reason you buy different flash bulbs and hoozits and thingummyjigs when you don't really need them. It's what you like doing."

See, I could be like a mediator between you and your dad....I'm a compulsive book buyer AND I have tons and tons and tons of camera gear.

Thank God my husband is understanding...LOL (actually, he's as bad as I am)

Reaction score
If my dad knew I 'hung out' (even online) with a nutjob like you, he'd disown me faster than you could say 'colostomy bag'. :D

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The best pictures from my sister's wedding all involve her wedding cake, in the background of EVERY SINGLE SHOT are my eldest (who was in kindergarten at the time) and the groom's cousin (who was also six) gazing longingly at the cake. It's howlingly funny. Trust me, the good shots will happen.

If not, just roll some marbles onto the dance floor and take pics of the mayhem.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
If my dad knew I 'hung out' (even online) with a nutjob like you, he'd disown me faster than you could say 'colostomy bag'. :D

LMAO No, I'm a photographer, so that would earn me forgiveness. It's like a secret handshake among shutterbugs..."Wait, you're INSANE! I HATE YOU!" "Look at my camera." "Ohhhhhhh, you're one of US. You're okay, mate!"

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
The best pictures from my sister's wedding all involve her wedding cake, in the background of EVERY SINGLE SHOT are my eldest (who was in kindergarten at the time) and the groom's cousin (who was also six) gazing longingly at the cake. It's howlingly funny. Trust me, the good shots will happen.

Too cute!

The shots I'm not worried about. Just the mechanics of everything working and everyone staying relatively sane. LOL

If not, just roll some marbles onto the dance floor and take pics of the mayhem.

Hmmmm....*packs some marbles in camera bag, checks to make sure "hold harmless" waiver is airtight...*

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
At least once a month, I have a dream... no, a nightmare, about a perfect - I mean a PERFECT shot presenting itself: wildlife, a spectacular sunset, a tornado. In my dream, the film is tangled, the batteries are dead, or the lens cap is GLUED to the front. I feel your pain.

The magic moment will be there. I remember my husband getting a perfect shot of the ringbearer in his little morning suit, sitting on the grass with his teddy bear. Cute.

A shot I got with my crummy digital was of the two flower girls sitting on the floor under a table, with little minilights glowing from behind the tulle that decorated the front of the tables. I had no tripod so I had to brace the camera against a wall.

Have fun tomorrow.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
Make sure and take lots and lots of photos (no politically correct way to say this) of ALL the elderly people there. I can't remember how many times that wedding photos are the "last" photos of seniors.

The first wedding that I shot, there was one single photo of the bride's great-grandfather. It was the last photo taken of him before he died and, fortunately, it was wonderful. He was sitting at one of the tables with a glass of champagne toasting the bride and groom. All dressed up in a nice suit, he had a great smile on his face.

Judy