PDA

View Full Version : Co-writing

veingloree
11-29-2004, 11:15 PM
I have always been interested in the idea of co-writing. I have a few MM (gay male) novella ideas kicking around and wonder if anyone would be up for a collaboration?

lena matthews
11-30-2004, 02:45 AM
I just finished co-write two books and i enjoyed the experince greatly. I have to ask though, is MM the only books you write, and if so why? just curious.

veingloree
11-30-2004, 04:17 AM
Partly becuae I like to, partly becuase I've had the best luck selling them. I have written heterosexual short stories and would give that a go too, although I don't have any story concepts ready to go in that area. Well, I have a sort of romance thing about a girl, an elf and a curse...

AmidASeaOfGreen
07-03-2005, 01:36 AM
id be interested in helping out

veinglory
07-03-2005, 02:36 AM
Hi there! I've found a cowriter since first posting this thread but maybe some-one else on the forum is looking for a joint project?

sunandshadow
07-03-2005, 07:57 AM
I've tried doing a project like this before, but never managed to find a writer compatable enough that we were actually happy working together, except in one case where we did lots of beckground work for a project but couldn't come up with any plot ideas for it, so eventually we had to give up on it. It's better to start a project from one person's vision, or preferably by combining both people's vision, that to decide it by committee, I guess :P

But, if anyone here is a good at plot and wants to write MM science fiction or fantasy (but not high fantasy - I only do original worldbuilding, no fairies, elves, orcs, vampires, werewolves, etc.) and with minimal violence and a HEA I would be interested.

Kate StAmour
07-06-2005, 02:31 PM
I'd be happy to critique for you. My schedule has loosened up a bit. I would also LOVE a critique partner (anybody...anybody?), more than anything. I have some technical issues in my writing that I perpetually miss when self-editing, but can pick up in other writers work--go figure. I write primarily paranormal romance and some light BDSM/erotica.

Kate

veinglory
07-06-2005, 05:58 PM
I am writing a MM vampire novella now and could swap critiques. Just email veingloryATgmail.com.

poeticjustice_2001
01-28-2012, 02:33 AM
I see it's kind of old, but I figured I'd post a reply in here. I've also been looking for a co-writer, if anyone out there is interested.
I have quite a few story ideas ready, mostly paranormal erotica.. but I'm open to other stuff. I've only ever tried co-writing a short with a writer friend, but he wrote straight fantasy.
I'd love to try it again.

Let me know if you're intersted !

Maryn
01-28-2012, 02:52 AM
Might I add that poeticjustice is probably someone with time on her hands, plus a fine sense of altruism--check her signature. (Not the Bombeck line, but where she is and why.)

Maryn, glad to see she's here

Anjasa
01-29-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm just curious - how do others cowrite stories?

My partner and I have been doing it so long together and I have absolutely no idea if other people do it in a similar manner.

Ann_Mayburn
01-29-2012, 09:31 PM
It takes a great degree of trust to have a co-writer. So many things could go bad and I'm just too g-damn anal and controlling about my work to try and compromise on anything. ;) That said, when it does work often insanely f'ing good books are a result.

Filigree
01-29-2012, 09:54 PM
While I've read some killer co-written books, it's probably not something I will ever try again, myself.

Almost two decades ago, I had to scrap my first novel and completely rebuild the universe around it, because of a collaboration that turned so nasty it literally put me in the hospital. Not to mention wasting three years' writing time, stalling my art career, or making me persona-non-grata by association within my local sf&f community. Plus all the slanders against my person that came after.

Should I ever become 'famous', this person *will* definitely come after me to claim part ownership of my work. So on legal advice, I stripped away any trace of our collaboration. I'm to the point of hoping this person dies or becomes senile before that happens - and based on our last accidental meeting several years ago, such an outcome seems likely.

It's wonderful to find a writing buddy and indulge in shared worldbuilding, but be careful who you play with.

Maryn
01-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Psst! Filigree! You want I should arrange for this person to have, you know, an accident?

Maryn, stupid thug

Filigree
01-29-2012, 11:17 PM
Nope. Too many more micro-strokes, and the problem will solve itself. The 51-year-old subject was using a walker cane, the last time we met.

I don't take betrayal well, but I'll let nature take its course.

thethinker42
01-30-2012, 12:10 AM
It takes a great degree of trust to have a co-writer. So many things could go bad and I'm just too g-damn anal and controlling about my work to try and compromise on anything. ;) That said, when it does work often insanely f'ing good books are a result.

Isn't that the truth. I would *love* to do a collaboration because as you said some amazing books can come out of it, and I've had a couple of friends make some noise about it recently, but...once bitten. No way in hell am I doing one unless we have an agreement in writing about everything.

KimJo
01-30-2012, 02:29 AM
I have trouble working with beta readers (trust issues, I'm a bit controlling with my work, and the betas I've tried to work with in the past have sometimes never gotten back to me on the first chapter I sent them, never mind continued to beta for me), so I can't imagine co-writing with someone.

I think it could be fun with the right person, and with a lot of negotiation and agreements up front, preferably in writing as thethinker said, but I don't think I have the personality for it. On the other hand, they do sometimes sell quite well.

veinglory
01-30-2012, 03:24 AM
I see it's kind of old, but I figured I'd post a reply in here. I've also been looking for a co-writer, if anyone out there is interested.
I have quite a few story ideas ready, mostly paranormal erotica.. but I'm open to other stuff. I've only ever tried co-writing a short with a writer friend, but he wrote straight fantasy.
I'd love to try it again.

Let me know if you're intersted !

Kind of old? I wrote this fully eight years ago. Please start a new thread.