Fox news runs with "ham-sandwich" parody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
The backstory: Last week in the town of Lewiston, Maine, a group of Somalian Muslim middle school students were the subject of a cruel prank when their peers placed a ham steak next to them in order to personally offend the students. School officials filed a report because the students considered the act to be a hate/bias crime.
This actual story was then spoofed by a parody site called Associated Content, which made up quotes and details, such as the school’s intention to “create an anti-ham ‘response plan.’”
On Tuesday, Fox & Friends reported these parody quotes and details as actual news. Poking fun at the students, hosts asked whether ham was “a hate crime…or lunch?” and showed screen shots of ham sandwiches, starving Somalians, belching, animal noises, and mock “reenactments” of the incident. Ironically, the hosts assured viewers several times, “We’re not making this up!”

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/04/27/fox-parody/#comments

what's even more crazy then fox using online "sources" for a story like this, are the rants fox news watchers emailed in:

"Leaving your sandwich on a table is now a crime in Maine?" one e-mail asked. It continued, "This child did nothing illegal in placing his sandwich in front of several intolerant people that will kill YOUR students for sitting at the same table let alone placing a sandwich next to them."

http://www.sunjournal.com/story/209231-3/LewistonAuburn/Ham_report_stirs_mess/

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
God doesn't care if anyone eats ham.

Fundamentalists are dangerous in any religion.

Ham is safe when cooked properly.

FoxNews is whacked but so is CNN etc. etc.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
God doesn't care if anyone eats ham.

Fundamentalists are dangerous in any religion.

Ham is safe when cooked properly.

um.........

okay.

:Shrug:

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
did you watch the video?

its funny.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
I desired to see it but didn't see the link in your post. Not that you were asking me. I'll go back and look again.

edit......

I found it.

Ham is not a toy. :roll:

Anti-Ham response plan. :roll:

Last edited:

brer

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Yeah, so fox is guilty of doing a "Dan Rather," huh?
Get it? A "Dan Rather."

Reaction score
did you watch the video?

its funny.

I'm staying with a friend and the computer doesn't have any speakers.

:(

Okay...I'll hold off on serously.worst.thread.ever and just go with worst.thread.ever until I see the video with sound tonight at a different friend's.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
I desired to see it but didn't see the link in your post. Not that you were asking me. I'll go back and look again.

edit......

I found it.

Ham is not a toy. :roll:

Anti-Ham response plan. :roll:

thank you

billy can learn a thing or two from you.

brer

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Recently, before Dan Rather "retired," he did an expose on Bush. D.R. tried to pass off some "recreated" documents that were obtained from a dubious source. Unfortunately for D.R., the "recreated" documents used a type of font that wasn't around when that document was supposedly created.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Why are you confused, Bravo?

The only difference is that Rather took his "facts" from someone he knew was biased and less than trustworthy, while Fox & Friends producers merely made a mistake--a gi-normous, hilarious mistake, but still a mistake.

Last edited:

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
no i got it.

i was only confused about the lame "Get it? A Dan Rather" part.

i used the shrug instead of channeling my inner opti by wondering aloud why the poster thought he should explain what that meant.

that was passive aggressive of me. :(

Last edited:

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
This is too funny.

I love it when the guy says, "I hope we're not getting duped."

I hope the parody writer was an AW member.

brer

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
no i got it.

i was only confused about the lame "Get it? A Dan Rather" part.

i used the shrug instead of channeling my inner opti by wondering aloud why the poster thought he should explain what that meant.

that was passive aggressive of me. :(
Well, I'm the original poster. I put in the second line because Dan Rather has pulled some real good ones in his career, and people reading my post might not know which one I was referring to. Like there was the time he had the network have some dead time because he was out somewhere complaining about how his news program was being delayed because of some sports program.

WarrenP

Registered
Reaction score
Reminds me of when not too long ago one of the other news (sorry I forgot who) guys took a story from The Onion and ran with it. Funny...

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Pretty good there, Spook. I'd love to submit something there. Right now, I gotta finish my rewrite. Perhaps something about secret CIA prisons in Hackensack.

McDuff

Registered
Reaction score

I love how the response to examples of shoddy journalism is "meh, ALL our journalists are that bad, whatchagonnado?" Like, doesn't the death of standards in journalism across the board bother you even slightly? Even a teeny little bit?

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I love how the response to examples of shoddy journalism is "meh, ALL our journalists are that bad, whatchagonnado?" Like, doesn't the death of standards in journalism across the board bother you even slightly? Even a teeny little bit?
Nope. Because bad journalism makes the world paranoid and helps horror writers sell their stories based on the events that bad journalist have portrayed to the public.

Wheeeee! Go FoxNews!

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score

It's just a reflection of where I am. I used to spend hours a day reading and watching the news. It was mostly right wing news. I then became suspect of what I was seeing and started watching left wing news for comparison purposes. Then I mixed it up a bit. I did this for a long time and came to conclusion that there is no such animal as "fair and balanced" coverage from either outlet. The love of power and money corrupts everyone it seems. I hate dishonesty and so I just quit watching it altogether. I watch a little bit of local news in the morning when I'm getting ready for work and that is about it these days. Right or wrong I've simply taken it out of my life for the most part at least for a while.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score

The sad thing here, McDuff, is you recognize this problem, I recognize it, most viewers do as well.

But the journalists themselves don't recognize the problem. They have become too arogant, fail to check facts, push their own agendas, play up for ratings, etc. Geraldo Rivera and his ilk won.

I keep hoping integrity will show up again in journalism, but it doesn't seem to matter anymore.

McDuff

Registered
Reaction score
So we can't win, might as well play the next Metal Gear Solid and hope that nobody does anything that we might need to know about, eh? Thank God that nobody in government would ever do anything unethical that might need an honest reporter to uncover it!

What? Richard who? Nixon? Never heard of him. You're just making shit up now!

Status
Not open for further replies.