PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Geneology

MegaData
04-27-2007, 10:19 PM
I had saved a site to my favorites for looking up Canadian Geneology. Something happened and I'm not having a good time trying to find it again... Anyone have suggestions on where to research Quebec families living during the 1700's or find out HOW someone died?

KCH
04-28-2007, 04:54 AM
Have you tried ancestry.com or rootsweb.com? Ancestry.com is a subscription service but there are things you can access without charge. Rootsweb has a number of free areas. It's a good jumping off point that will lead you to lots of other places.

Puma
04-28-2007, 06:14 PM
Or try Cyndi's list (also listed on rootsweb as a link). Cyndi's list divides pretty quickly into regional resources. Or, another thing I do when I'm working on genealogy and stumped is a Google search putting the specifics in quotes to keep them together in the search engine. Good luck (and be sure to bookmark the site when you find it again). Puma

MegaData
04-29-2007, 08:27 PM
I thought it was a Government website from Canada... and I had trouble finding it the first time, which is why I bookmarked it. I don't know why it isn't there now. I guess writing down the address by hand in my notes would have been more permanent. Thank you all for the tips!

Jenan Mac
05-06-2007, 04:24 AM
Familysearch.org. It's an LDS site, and even though I don't know of any Mormons in my family tree, I found a phenomenal amount of stuff on my grandmother's family (from Cape Breton). They have a lot of Canadian census information, etc.

Chumplet
05-06-2007, 05:35 AM
Gosh, there are so many possibilities. This may be redundant, but did you try googling some choice phrases you might remember? I remember a site I used for my Acadian genealogy, and it had 'genweb' in it somewhere.