American History X

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I’m watching American History X (for the fifth or so time) on the FX channel and it’s scary how convincing this neo-Nazi guy is. Wow!

A clipped synopsis from Netflix:

A California neo-Nazi (Oscar-nominee Edward Norton) gets sent to prison for murder and comes out a changed man. But can Norton atone for his sins and prevent his younger brother (Edward Furlong) from following in his hate-filled footsteps? With searing performances and gut-wrenching realism, American History X offers a compelling and anguishing look at racism, family and forgiveness.

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I had to turn the TV. It got too violent. I just couldn't watch a young man's face get bashed into a street gutter rail.

newmod

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, the scene where he makes the fella bite the kerb and then stamps on his head, ouch!

Yeah, not a bad movie.

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, the scene where he makes the fella bite the kerb and then stamps on his head, ouch!

Yeah, not a bad movie.

Yeh. I was yelling to my hubby:

"Baby, baby, look! Watch this guy!"

He casually turns toward the TV.

"Oh my gawd! I can't watch this! I can't watch this! Can I turn it?... Look at that!" I grabbed the remote and turned it to Law & Order, even though I couldn't take my eyes off of it. I had to turn it. That is just too sick.

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
I saw this movie about a year ago, yet when you guys are talking (typing) about the guy's head on the curb, I can still hear the *crunch.* Still makes me shiver. But, I still liked the movie.

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
In the scene before that with Ed Norton’s character sitting at the table with his mom and her new Jewish boyfriend, I was like, ‘Man, this guy sounds pretty intelligent and he’s making some good points.’ Then he started spitting out hatred and I thought, ‘Wait a minute; I’m actually considering the position of this racist fool!’

I think those type of neo-Nazis are the most dangerous because they can sometimes make rational thinking people consider irrational thoughts. But I think higher levels of thinking will (should) kick in.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I love this movie...it's one of my favorites. It's incredibly powerful and all too realistic. One of Edward Norton's best performances, IMO. Though I haven't seen The Illusionist yet. :)

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
First time I watched it I hated the ending.

But the more I thought about it, the more friggin' brilliant that ending is.

Heard that the director took his name off the film because he hated what the studio did to it?

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Flipped past it last night too.

Good movie. Absolutely ruined by being on broadcast networks.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
This is a brilliant movie, and Norton is simply amazing. He's at his scariest when he's calm.

The thing that impressde me the most was the portrayal of his character not as some "dumb skinhead" but as an intelligent, educated man whose ideals had been twisted. His redemption in prison was all the more powerful because he hadn't actually sought it out -- it just evolved.

A few people I know say they can't watch it because it is so violent -- but then again, hatred and bigotry usually is, and you can't sugarcoat it.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Also one of my favorites, yes, difficult to watch, but Edward Norton is amazing in this film. I think after seeing him act in that role I decided I loved him as an actor and would watch any movie he was in.

When he stands in the street in his boxer shorts, arms outstretched, with that vile look on his face, I was hooked. the control he has, is amazing.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
One of the best movies of all time. Ed Norton should win the Oscar every year for his performance in this one movie. "Just because you have a legitimate reason to hate doesn't mean you should." A great moral and beautifully told story.

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
Ed Norton should win the Oscar every year for his performance in this one movie.

Norton is a phenominal actor in any regard. I don't think I have ever seen him do a bad job in any movie.

For the longest time I wouldn't watch this movie because of the curb scene. When my wife finally talked me into it I was glad. Easily, EASILY one of the best movies on the subject of racial hatred and the neo nazi idealism I have ever seen. It's creepy to know some people actually live and think that way.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Norton is a phenominal actor in any regard. I don't think I have ever seen him do a bad job in any movie.

He was especially good as Tyler Durden in Fight Club. I totally thought he was Brad Pitt until the very end! I think he played Meatloaf as well.