PDA

View Full Version : My brother and I are together on Amazon

johnrobison
04-27-2007, 04:13 AM
My book, Look Me in the Eye, has been for sale (pre-order) on Amazon for the last month and a half, and it's selling steadily. Today, for example, my sales rank is 21,740. Frankly, I am shocked to see such a high sales rank for a book that isn't even going to be shipped for five months . . . Today, Amazon has paired my book under "better together" with my brother's book, Running With Scissors.

http://www.amazon.com/Look-Me-Eye-Life-Aspergers/dp/0307395987

And there's more news . . . my book is being published by Ebury in the UK, and Random House in Australia. Exciting stuff! The book will have a different cover overseas but it's otherwise the same.

It's hard to believe it's all happening, and with such speed.

And for any of you who live near Columbia County, New York . . .

I'll be doing an advance reading from the book at the Celebration of Celts ( www.celebrationofcelts.com (http://www.celebrationofcelts.com) ) next Saturday. Feel free to stop by and see me.

paprikapink
04-27-2007, 04:26 AM
Augusten Burroughs...Burroughs....gosh, that name rings a bell. Which forum does he post in mostly? It it's TIO, I'll never see him.

nyuck-nyuck-nyuck

That's cool, John! Congratulations on your book's early success! (I love the cover picture.)

CaroGirl
04-27-2007, 05:51 AM
That's fabulous! I really wish I lived close enough to come and meet you, John. I'll be ordering a copy of your book, when it's available.

Take care!

johnrobison
04-27-2007, 05:53 AM
That's fabulous! I really wish I lived close enough to come and meet you, John. I'll be ordering a copy of your book, when it's available.

Take care!

You can come meet me! Come to a reading! I'll be touring the whole country. Where are you?

Soccer Mom
04-27-2007, 06:01 AM
I can't wait to get a copy of your book, John. It sounds like the publisher is really behind you all the way. Fantastic!

TrainofThought
04-27-2007, 06:16 AM
Congratulations johnrobison! Enjoy the ride and good luck at the book reading. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_11.gif

johnrobison
04-27-2007, 06:30 AM
I can't wait to get a copy of your book, John. It sounds like the publisher is really behind you all the way. Fantastic!

Yes, Soccer Mom, they are behind me all the way for sure. The talk that publishers do nothing but print the book and let it sink or swim is far from the truth, at least in my case.

My first industry appearance will be at BEA at the end of May, where I'll be introduced to the big book buyers. After that, the publicity really gets going.

Claudia Gray
04-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Congratulations! I hope to see you in May.

Sury
04-27-2007, 10:49 PM
CONGRATULATIONS, John! That's an awesome accomplishment.

Sury

David McAfee
04-27-2007, 11:48 PM
Congratulations, John. :) Are you going to do any signings/readings in Tennessee?

Penguin Queen
04-28-2007, 12:09 AM
Wow, that is great. It's selling already at minus five months! Thats a fantastic achievement. :)

Chumplet
04-28-2007, 01:52 AM
Fantastic news, John. I'll wave at you when I see you on Letterman. You won't see me, of course; I'll be in my living room.

KCH
04-28-2007, 02:54 AM
Adding to the chorus with more well-deserved congratulations, John! And what a terrific thing to have your book paired with brother's. I can only imagine what holidays are like around your house with such creativity. I'd hate to be the one with merely a good job, nice home, terrific kids, etc. LOL.

Anya Smith
04-28-2007, 03:30 AM
That's fantastic. Congratulations!

Saundra Julian
04-28-2007, 05:18 AM
Way to go, John!

johnrobison
04-28-2007, 05:29 AM
Adding to the chorus with more well-deserved congratulations, John! And what a terrific thing to have your book paired with brother's. I can only imagine what holidays are like around your house with such creativity. I'd hate to be the one with merely a good job, nice home, terrific kids, etc. LOL.

We have a teriffic kid. He's chained to a pipe, downstairs.

I had a good job, till I got involved in book writing, and I had to hire a manager to replace me.

My brother had a great house, but a water pipe burst and flooded the floor last Christmas.

So there you have it.

Susan B
04-28-2007, 10:55 PM
Congratulations--that's great!

Any plans for readings as far away as CA?

Susan

johnrobison
04-29-2007, 01:13 AM
Congratulations--that's great!

Any plans for readings as far away as CA?

Susan

I will surely hit LA and SF, but I'm not sure of the timing yet. Possibly winter, possibly October

Toothpaste
04-29-2007, 01:53 AM
Will another congrats be pointless? I think not! Congrats, that is so exciting!

KCH
04-29-2007, 02:49 AM
We have a teriffic kid. He's chained to a pipe, downstairs.

My brother had a great house, but a water pipe burst and flooded the floor last Christmas.

Well, at least being a famous author turned out to be anything BUT a pipe-dream.

johnrobison
04-29-2007, 03:35 AM
Well, at least being a famous author turned out to be anything BUT a pipe-dream.

Yes, regular use of the word PIPE is a virtual guarantee of success.

I had told the kid to pipe down before locking him up, because his yelling prevented us from hearing my brother's pipe organ.

Chumplet
04-29-2007, 03:55 AM
Will you be near Toronto?

johnrobison
04-29-2007, 04:02 AM
Will you be near Toronto?

Chumplet, I don't know. I've been asked about several of your big cities - Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver, and now Toronto. My book is distributed by Random House Canada, but I don't know if the market is big enough to support a tour right off.

A Canada tour may end up happening for the second book, or the paperback release. It's also possible I'd do some fastivals up there in the summer of 2008.

Right now, I think I'll be doing a dozen or so northern USA cities in September/October. My brother and I will appear together at several book festivals this fall, too.

Although it's not set up yet, I will probably tour in the British Isles after that.

Then, during the winter, I plan to read in 10-12 more cities in the southern (read: warmer) part of the US.

And that takes us to spring 2008, which is as far ahead as I've thought.

KCH
04-29-2007, 09:12 AM
John,

You could certainly do a tour of Canada by phone. Ask your publicist about phoners. You can do them from the comfort of your own home. With a pipe even.

SpookyWriter
04-29-2007, 09:27 AM
Congrats! What an amazing story. You make us proud. * sniff *

paprikapink
04-29-2007, 10:29 PM
I will surely hit LA and SF, but I'm not sure of the timing yet. Possibly winter, possibly October

San Francisco in October -- the best!! Gotta be careful to avoid or aim for Fleetweek during your visit, depending on your preference. The traffic can be impassable, but the seeing the Blue Angels over the Bay is an enduring thrill.

Southern_girl29
04-30-2007, 09:04 AM
Congratulations. Tha'ts wonderful news.

pollykahl
05-08-2007, 02:02 AM
Hey John, how did your reading go on Saturday? I wanted to attend with my brother who is Aspergian but we could not schedule it in because of the driving distance. Was it well attended and how were you received? Hope there were oodles of attendees and you had fun.

Kate Thornton
05-08-2007, 02:07 AM
John, this is terrific news!

I'll look for you when you come to L.A.!

maestrowork
05-08-2007, 02:08 AM
It's interesting. When I went to the Amazon page, it was actually paired with Patricia Wood's book, instead of Augusten's! Weird.

Congrats, John.

johnrobison
05-08-2007, 02:12 AM
Hey John, how did your reading go on Saturday? I wanted to attend with my brother who is Aspergian but we could not schedule it in because of the driving distance. Was it well attended and how were you received? Hope there were oodles of attendees and you had fun.

I was at the car show, but the event was disorganized and they never set up the authors area. So I didn't do the reading at all. But stay tuned to the web site as we'll announce events this summer.

johnrobison
05-08-2007, 02:15 AM
It's interesting. When I went to the Amazon page, it was actually paired with Patricia Wood's book, instead of Augusten's! Weird.

Congrats, John.

Well, it turns out more people are buying my book + Lottery so the Amazon system has now paired us up. You should all go online and order both before we get closer to release and the price goes up.

And I invite you to read my own thoughts about Lottery here:
http://jerobison.blogspot.com/2007/05/life-at-other-end-of-iq-range.html

My brother and I will still be paired up for othe rstuff. We'll be at writer's festivals this fall.

Chumplet
05-08-2007, 04:32 AM
It's amazing how those AW books get paired up, isn't it?

johnrobison
05-08-2007, 04:35 AM
It's amazing how those AW books get paired up, isn't it?

It is sort of fascinating, since it's driven by the market. Our books are not paired at our request. They are paired by market response. It's an automated system.

I asked.

Little Red Barn
05-08-2007, 04:55 AM
Way to go John, so exciting and
hugs
kimmi