PDA

View Full Version : Best parenting advice you ever got from your Mom…

Stressed
04-27-2007, 02:11 AM
If you can send it my way I’d be really grateful – it’s for a national parenting website and I’ll need your name, city and state too… Many thanks!

Melisande
04-27-2007, 02:37 AM
The best advice my mother gave me was;

"Live your life. No one else can do it for you."

If you PM me and explain which website, for what purpose etc, I might be willing to give you some personal information.

Jersey Chick
04-27-2007, 03:05 AM
The best advice I'd ever gotten was to trust your instinct, it's usually right.

Parkinsonsd
04-27-2007, 03:17 AM
Kids are remarkably resilient. This was after she let him drop from the high chair against the table and left a scar on his forehead. I'm not sure if that was so much advice as it was an excuse.

Sohia Rose
04-27-2007, 03:20 AM
The best parenting advice my mom gave me about parenting was, “Kids change everything. You better make sure that's what you want before you decide to have any.” Wait a minute… Hmmm… Okay… Is she talking ‘bout me? Humpf. Nice mom, heh? :)

Mom'sWrite
04-27-2007, 04:00 AM
Best parenting advice from my mom...

"Sleep when the baby sleeps."

Come to think of it, that wasn't advice, that was a fairy tale.

Silver King
04-27-2007, 04:06 AM
She said, "Your children will hate you today for correcting them, but they'll love you tomorrow for doing so."

I'm still waiting for the lovin' part to kick in...

Sassee
04-27-2007, 04:38 AM
I don't know about the best advice, but I heard this one a lot from my stepmom -

"Knowing and doing are two different things."

And I don't remember where I heard this, but it's good -

"If you wait until you're ready, you'll never do it."

Sarah - currently in Denver, CO
grew up in Kansas City, MO

Sohia Rose
04-27-2007, 04:41 AM
She said, "Your children will hate you today for correcting them, but they'll love you tomorrow for doing so."

I'm still waiting for the lovin' part to kick in...

My mom used to do that with our speech. I guess my brother and I tried to get lazy with words: "I ain't going no where," I'd say. Then she'd say, "You ain't what?" "Oh, ugh, I'm not going anywhere."

I slip back into it for character voices. Funny, my husband is supposed to cook dinner tonight, so I just told him, “You don’t want no pizza?” Hehehe.

Jongfan
04-27-2007, 06:53 AM
Mine raised 5 girls and her advice was always simple.

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Be a parent first, friendship grows with time.

Follow through on your threats. If you tell them they can't do something for misbehaving, stick to it.

Never discredit your spouse in front of the child, that will only teach them play you against each other.

Stay involved in their lives and let them know they can come to you with ANYTHING!

The_Grand_Duchess
04-27-2007, 06:31 PM
My mom only gave me one piece of advice. "If you want the baby to take medicene then hold her with her head tilted back so she has no choice but to swallow."

Thats it. My mom isn't very into the advice thing.

Dario D.
04-30-2007, 12:49 AM
"If you don't raise your kids, the TV will, and it'll reverse everything you ever tried to teach them."

My mom's all about getting things right. :)

Rabe
04-30-2007, 08:14 AM
My mother never really gave advice (except that time when it was determined that you can't break up with a girl after she insists on paying for the date!)

But she did teach us to 'do it yourself' and (as males) not to rely on some other gal in our lives for cleaning, cooking, cleaning, etc.

Must have worked, my oldest brother is a chef and all the boys have at least one speciality dish that they make people beg to have made. I'm a whiz at gourmand type dishes (and anything with a sauce!) and baking.

I can iron my own uniforms, clean my own apartment and all that 'girly stuff'. So I've never been stuck in a relationship with someone I don't want to be with in order to have that stuff done.

She also - through actions on my oldest brother's part that led to the above - taught us to respect people for who they are and don't expect them to fall into gender roles.

Oh, I do recall some other advice along those lines that she said once long ago in a fit of pique. My mother wasn't an avowed atheist but definitely agnostic and she once told me to "go out there and get what you want cause God won't just give it to you". Which I think has got me in great stead and helped me to become a very dependable, self-reliant type of person.

Rabe...

Shwebb
04-30-2007, 08:38 AM
Neither my mom nor my stepmom were paragons of wisdom with child-raising. But when I became a young adult and found myself stuck in a marriage with a man who, as it turned out, didn't love me or treat me right--I told my stepmother that "it's my mistake, I'll live with it."

She said, "You don't live with mistakes. You correct them and go on."

That was the single most life-changing thing anyone ever said to me. I left the cheating bastard (although it took the police being called because he was holding me hostage at gunpoint) and began my life over. Met a great fella, and we've been married for almost 14 years and have three great kids. I can't imagine the hell I'd be in right now if I hadn't taken her advice.

Southern_girl29
04-30-2007, 08:50 AM
My mom gives advice, but it's not usually good advice, lol. My grandmother on the other hand is wonderful with things like that. The best advice she ever gave me, though, wasn't very specific. "Just love her and everything else will work out."

I think that about says it all.

Plot Device
05-02-2007, 12:01 AM
"Don't save money on your teeth."