Pen names

veingloree

I am curious, do you use pen names -- do you use separate ones for erotica?

I use the same pen name for all my writing and illustration.

KatYares

I use a different pen name for each genre (bi, straight, etc) of erotica I write. I do this for a variety of reasons but it seems to be working out well.

Kat

ncq13

I use a different name for more intense erotica, a third name for some articles in pagan magazines, and I use my own name for mainstream romance and most of my non-fiction writing.

nolabohemian

I don't use psuedonyms at all. My husband tells me if I my regular job is put in jeopardy because someone finds out I publish erotica, then I'm probably a famous enough erotica writer that I won't need another job. Also, my real name has the same feel as H.P. Lovecraft, J.D. Salinger, and J.K. Rowling, so I don't want to mess with the chemistry!

Nyki27

I use my own name for everything. Then again, I haven't actually had any erotica published yet, but I've sent it out under my name.

pepperlandgirl

names...

If I ever publish anything, I plan on using a pen name. I'd like to have a respectable career one day, lol.

Selenia692

Re: names...

I don't use a pen name, and I haven't had any problems. *shrug*

arrowqueen

I'm 'Kate Benedict' for the erotica and 'Catherine Ferguson' (and assorted others) for the magazine work,

Hapsburg

I never use a pen name for a couple reasons.

1. I want the credit for my work, I don't want anyone to think it's not me they're reading.

2. I never write anything I'm afraid to answer to. The only people I don't want to be confronted by are my parents and grandmother, who wouldn't be caught dead with anything that could lead them to discovering me.

and 3. My name is my business. It's my "brand" if you will. Name recognition means a lot in my day job, and so it makes sense for me to use the strategy in writing.

veingloree

Hmm. I can definitely think of a few cases where recognition for writing gay erotica wouldn't help my day job at all (teaching, lecturing in a small town in the US etc).

KatYares

Or when you live in the divet of the buckle of the Bible Belt. Not a good thing to have your neighbors know what you're doing (or writing). :grin

Kat

Maryn

Pseudonyms

I use two different pseudonyms for erotica, a male one for M/m material and a female one for hetero, and my real name for everything else.

The amount of money to be made from erotica so far is so small that I need my day job.

veingloree

Re: Pseudonyms

Oh I am definitely still with the day job. I might do better when I move back to New zealand as the exchange rate is so good.

Terra Aeterna

I can see a pretty good point in the "name as brand" argument. But if you're writing several genres, perhaps having a different "brand name" for each might be an idea.

I don't mind picking Barbara Hambly off the shelf knowing it might be fantasy or it might be mystery, but other people freak out when they get a book of a totally different genre by an author they've followed in one genre.

As much as I'm not ashamed of what I write, there are some people in the world that I'd prefer not know that I write it. Sure, their hangups and close-mindedness are their problem, but that won't stop them from being annoying and distressing to those of us who don't share those hangups. The protesters at the Georgia high school picketing the gay youth alliance club comes to mind. Maybe I'm a bit of a coward, but I think I'd like the protection of a pseudomyn.

Hapsburg

I live in the bible belt myself, it sucks but I find I'm getting braver and more daring. Just because I write gay stuff doesn't mean I'm gay any more than writing about murderers makes me one afterall...At the same time I think I'm going increasingly insane, to the point where I care less and less what people think about me. If they discover my work they can only do so by reading such work, and what's that say about them?

AprilBoo

I use a pen name when I write erotica for privacy. I just don't want to be bothered with explaining myself to people who might Google me in connection with my day job and find sexy stories. I'm very easy to find on the internet - photo, name, complete contact information at the office - and that makes me uncomfortable enough. But I write lots of other stuff that is tagged to my real name.

Andi

Out of curiosity, how does one get a pen name? I was thinking of submitting a short story; however, I wasn't sure if I needed to register a pen name with the federal government, or if the publication would just need to know the name I'd like the work to appear under. Seems like the latter, since all ask to know your real name for payment.

maestrowork

You don't need to register. You can just specify your pen name on your ms as "Written by." You use your real name for everything else.

However, if you want to permanently use your pen name as a real name to do business with others, you'd either have to officially change your name or have a "DBA (do business as)" account (or incorporate) for financial and tax purposes.