Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
What are some odd things you've had happen on campus or happen to you personally? Just looking for some detail to enrich my setting.

Example: The squirrels on my old college campus used to throw nuts at students. (yes... that really did happen) Fearless little buggers.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Raccoons getting into trash cans.

Chalked announcements on sidewalks & walls about anything & everything (campus events, birthdays, etc.)

The administration put up dummy kiosks (just wooden booths) to test how actual kiosks (to replace the chalk-on-sidewalk advertising) would affect foot traffic. Every day it seemed like the kiosks would pop up somewhere else. One night a bunch of guys got together with a truck and moved one of them up to the highest point on campus, at the foot of the big cross there (Catholic college). Many hijinx and jokes ensued.

One group's fundraiser was a "Mr. _____" competition, wherein instead of a swimsuit competition there was a snowsuit competition (including a Texan in Hawaiian shirt & shorts, aka his "I wish it would snow" suit).

One of the priests who worked for the college dislocated his shoulder when he joined students sledding down the campus hill on a cafeteria tray.

The elevator in my dorm was broken often enough that someone taped a pack of cards to the wall marked "in case of emergency".

(And so on and so on...fun times! :D )

Mlshanks

I still remember the collision between traveling campus evangelical Christians screaming "you're all whoremongers and sodimites," the Harri Krishna drum and bell congregation being lured to play "Stairway to Heaven," and the campus pot dealers distributing 1000s of free joints on a main plaza of a California university when I was an undergraduate in the early 1980s.

Building a giant slingshot on the top of a 10 story dorm which could hurl water balloons over 3/8ths of a mile.

Swapping a professor's coffee cup full of Kaluha with an actual cup of room temp. black coffee. Watching him spray a mouthful over half the front row...and then try to explain why it happened.

Years later, as a TA teaching a small "discussion section" and having a student *take* a cell phone call from his girl friend... And honestly wonder why I would not give him my signature to ADD this section he wasn't even enrolled in, but trying to "crash."

Having the prof. I was TAing for have to stop a lecture...because two students in the middle of a 1000 seat lecture hall 2/3rds full were making out in full view of their classmates and the prof. (hint: third base)

McDuff

Registered
Reaction score
This one time I went to a lecture on some stuff.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dude... no WAY. I knew somebody that did that too.

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
The fire alarms were super-sensitive in our dorm, to the point that a slightly burnt bag of popcorn would set them off. It wasn't uncommon to see drunk students beating at the wailing fire alarms with pillows, utterly confused about what all the fuss was.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I once allowed my ankles to show, sparking a scandal. Yeah, I attended college that long ago!

In the here-and-now, at The Kid's college nudity is allowed on campus, including the grassy parklike area facing the town's main shopping street. (It's allowed at the Other Kid's college, too, but it's fairly isolated.) Both kids report that full-out nudity is rare: the guy, and it's always a guy, usually wears shoes.

Fire safety laws have gotten draconian at both schools. Dorms removed curtains years ago, leaving the rods in place, but students are not allowed to provide their own curtains or to drape fabric or other materials. No candles can be lit, not even a birthday candle outside. At one school, there's a $500 fine for a black-wick candle (since that means it was lit).

Bisexuality, especially among women, is so common it's unremarkable at both their colleges. They both know transgendered people, too. Granted, these are liberal schools, but I was still surprised at how open and accepting the students are about everyone's choices. (Yes, there's a transgendered person, a biological male living as a woman, who considers herself a lesbian because she likes girls.)

Maryn, representing the Stone Age

Last edited:

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
At UCSC, skunks used to roam freely over campus. Every once in awhile--for no apparent reason--they'd let go outside the dorms... They cleared the floors faster than any fire alarm could.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A couple of times when I was on Ward Care duty and had to get there at 5am to open the barn and feed the livestock, give meds and muck stalls, we were greeted by police officers warning us that yet another inmate from the Western State Mental Hospital had "wandered off" and was last seen "around the campus".

It wasn't so scary when it was your week for kennel duty - you had the dogs for protection. But Ward Care didn't help much, unless the mental patients had a fear of horses, cows, goats or sheep.:Shrug:

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
We had a deer wander into the dining hall one day. That was interesting.

One of the frats kept a live pig in their house for a week before the pig roast; I try not to imagine what for. (they were shut down the year after I left, thankfully)

My personal fav: a food fight over Sunday brunch involving at least 50 very hungover students, and several faculty members. Did you know if you pound on one end of those little foil-wrapped pats of butter it can fly about 300 feet? :)

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
At my college, a group of students secretly tried to unleash the 10 Plagues of Egypt on the campus as a joke. The first plague (blood) was accomplished by dumping red dye into the fountain. The second (frogs) was dozens of plastic frogs floating in the same fountain the following week. By the time they tried to do the flies they got caught.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Some Nigerian students hunted for and caught several snakes in a wooded area near the dorms, skinned them, fileted the meat, and cooked the snake meat with rice. It actually smelled delicious but I passed on trying any.

Drinking real moonshine mixed with a Coke from the Sonic while grading papers (I was a faculty assistant) and realizing that the 'shine was eating through the stryrofoam of the cup.

Getting so happily involved with my boyfriend that we almost did the deed in a study room upstairs at the campus library.

Just a few blast from the past items!

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Nerd Bingo.

It's played thus. Each player picks a student. Each time that student answers a question from the prof, the player gets another letter. When the player gets all five, that player stands up and yells out "Bingo!" and wins.

And yes, I know people who actually played it. I was friends with a girl who consistenly won. She was good at picking out the nerds.

Engineering Week.

Every year, during Engineering Week, there was a competition from all engineers who wished to participate to toss an egg off the roof of the engineering building to see whose could survive the best. Any type of structures built to protect the egg or slow down the descent or anything else to prevent the egg splattering were allowed.

Also, every year, a different vehicle - always belonging to an administrator - would up on the roof of that same building.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
I went to art college, so all I remember is charcoal, paint, stretching canvases, and dope. You got to see a lot of stupid "art" projects. Damien Hirst wannabes with no actual talent.

My campus was in a pretty shitty part of Johannesburg, next to strip clubs and shebeens, and once a week we'd have to walk up to the Johannesburg Art Gallery (we were given strict instructions to only walk in big groups) and we used to smoke dope openly as we walked while cop cars crawled past. Sadly, we thought we were really clever.

When I transferred campuses to go do graphic design (worst thing i could have ever done) someone found a really old arcade game sitting in a forgotten corner and rewired it so we could play without coins.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I recall one week where I spotted no fewer than 3 pairs of panties tossed aside in 3 separate, wide-open parking lots.

The flaming couch that was thrown from a second story.

The pile of rocks we built on top of a 12 foot tall piece of modern art. Done in plain sight using a human pyramid.

The student who canceled class by writing "class canceled" on the blackboard before anyone showed up. No one stayed.

I would think of more, but I was drunk for some of the best ones.

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
One night, for no apparent reason, a group of guys walked through our dorms and stole everyone's white board markers.

We also had super sensitve smoke detectors and often had to leave the dorm in the middle of the night which sucked, exspecially when it was unexpectably cold.

My freshman year we were obsessed with the squirrels becuase they feared nothing. They would like crowd around you if you were eating a bagel or somethng outside. The joke was that they would just eventually ask for a piece and when you refused they would ask for a dollar.

We had no air con and in the summer people just slept in the hall. The showers were really gross but people still had sex in them. Which is very uncomfortable if you happen to be showering in the stall next to them.

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
We used to steal glasses from the dining hall and throw them against the library building.

Pranks such as loading the shower heads with instant coffee and putting plastic wrap on the toilets, under the seat.

Fighting with townies.

Breaking into the dining hall and stealing food.

Having to carry a dildo everywhere when pledging.

Putting dorm common room furniture in the elevators.

Food fights.

Papering over dorm room doors with newspaper.

All the psych majors had pet white rats.

Cow tipping.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
One of the all male dorms had its bathrooms in the middle of the hallway. To walk from one end to the other, you had to go through 2 bathrooms. The guys didn't seem to mind. They've since renovated the building.
Ah, the pool tables were free.
Vegetarians protested the pig roast.
One fellow dropped out or flunked out and camped out in the nearby woods, tent and all, for a semester.
The Women's Concerns House had two guys living in it. I guess they were concerned about women.
When I delivered pizza for the on-campus pizzeria, my cheap schoolmates tried to tip me with snack bar coupons, but mostly didn't tip at all.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
College

My journalism class had to miss an entire day of college so we could go to the middle of the campus and jump up in the air in unison to make a damned Toyota commercial. It finally got so long and boring, hours of everyone trying to jump in the air at the same time while film rolled and cameras flashed, that some of the students went to the parking lot, drove their American cars back with signs that said "Buy American, Buy German, Buy anything but Toyota, by God."

I don't believe these made it into the commercial.

We also had a day where two journalism students shared a birthday, and the prof brought a large bottle of whiskey to share. We learned little about journalism that day, but quite a bit about writing with a hangover the next.

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
Soap powder in the fountains at homecoming.

jenfreedom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.growingagreenfamily.com
You folks went to some odd colleges! Nothing remarkable happened at either of my schools. Does that mean I studied too hard? The only thing I can think of is that I first went to college in Humboldt county and than finished up in Albuquerque. And when I moved to NM it was a total shock because there were girls in mini skirts and high heels walking around campus. That was quirky to me because you'd likely be scorned to death if you tried that in Humboldt.

Oh, and my anatomy teacher in Humboldt liked to pop eyes around the room - the only part of the cadavers that ever bugged me.

~ Jennifer

ModoReese

Bang head here for service
Registered
Reaction score
I just visited my alma mater last night, forgetting it was Exam Week there. Our table was entertained by one determined individual, denied access to the campus bar, attempting to scale the Plexiglas surrounding the patio. He made it too, only to be promptly thrown out by the bouncer. He tried again, thrown out again. He *changed his shirt* then attempted a third time. There was something so humorous in the idea that changing your shirt might make a difference.

My best personal story was the end of first year when one of our instructors showed up at our end of year party at the campus bar. He wound up cutting my (male) friend's hair in the middle of the bar. I'm still not sure why. I was talking to to other guys when the next thing I knew my instructor had a pair of scissors and was asking me how to cut hair.

He did a horrible job too. One of the waitresses had to step in. But the photos live on....

M

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
I totally forgot about this but these two girls kept a kitten in thier dorm room for like a semester. Everyone on the floor knew about it except the RA.

One of the ways we would meet people was dialing random dorm numbers and talking to whoever picked up. One guy lived on the same floor as us in the next dorm over. We could see his room from ours. I don't remeber the coversation but it ended with us flashing him.

Anonymisty

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mistymassey.com
Junior year I was living in a co-ed dorm, in which the girls lived on floors 2 and 4, and the guys on 1 and 3. Several of us were also taking ENG 305, "Shakespeare." Since we had to read twelve plays in the semester, we were struck with the brilliant notion of gathering in the hall, dividing out the parts and then reading the assigned portions of each play out loud.

It became an entertainment draw for the rest of the dorm. Some nights we had people hanging out of every room and crowded up and down the hall, listening to us. Pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.