PDA

View Full Version : The 'In to Win' thread

veingloree
09-05-2004, 09:30 PM
To get ahead you have to write, and submit, right? So what are people writing, and for whom?

I have just finished my noir story and it is out being proofread. i fear it might be a little heavy on the noir and lite on the erotic, but we'll see.

I have to finish a story for Torquere's fresh starts thing very soon but I am stalled on a sex scene in a portakabin. Carpet burn just isn't sexy ;)

I am revising a novella for Loose-ID and will be for some time (20,000 words +)

next?

KatYares
09-05-2004, 10:46 PM
Veinglory

Let's see, right now I'm working on a story for Desdemona's new contest. I've got stories out to at least seven different places including Gallery, Eternally Noir, and Sexy Scribe. Hubby and I are working on a novella together, plus a lot of other stuff including movie reviews.

So I'm In.

Blessings
Kat

veingloree
09-06-2004, 08:48 PM
Great to here. I hope you will keep us updated about triumph and misses. i vowed and declared i would enter the next Desdmona contest but so far haven't struck upon the right idea. I did write something last night that I will send to sexyscribe, i think. once I have dunked it in the fish tank. No matter how I try it seems I am terrible at self-proofreading. sigh. Maybe we could have a proofreading swap thread here? Would that be useful to folk? Desdmona's is great but it would be nice to have more immediate options sometimes when a deadline is close.

Melina
09-07-2004, 04:18 PM
Emily, I beg to differ about carpetburn not being sexy. I have been known to flaunt my rug burns like naughty trophies, for all the world to see! :p

PS--I checked out your website, and the portrait is fabulous!

veingloree
09-07-2004, 05:05 PM
I still can't write that scene. They burst through the door and rip each toher's clothes off, suddenly I'm think condoms, there have to be condoms... and um lubrication. The plot requires real urgency and with that... oww. But they are in a gardner's portakabin. Where, exactly with these things appear from? And hell, I've set up this being wonderful semi-mystical passionate super-sex. Sigh. I may have to leave it for a few days and find some inspirational reading material (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it).

Melina
09-07-2004, 05:20 PM
Oh, I know. You can't stop being responsible. But, this is erotic fantasy. You don't have to worry about safe sex in a fantasy world, do you? I say, write it as spontaneous and earth-shattering as you originally envisioned it, and leave it to the readers to be responsible adults on their own time...

veingloree
09-07-2004, 06:19 PM
Sadly this particulalr story is so clearly modern England there is no getting around it... and one of the guys is known to be promiscuous to boot.

Melina
09-07-2004, 06:28 PM
Ah, I get it. Well, good luck-- :thumbs

veingloree
09-08-2004, 02:10 AM
I sent my Eternally Noir submission in, although I fear it may be a little short.

veingloree
10-20-2004, 07:54 PM
UPDATE FROM ME:

>I have just finished my noir story
I finished and submitted this story 'Talamur' to Eternally Noir.

>I have to finish a story for Torquere's fresh starts thing
I finished two stories for Fresh Starts. One was rejected but one was accepted. YAY!

>I am revising a novella for Loose-ID
This story was revised and resubmitted

I am also awaiting a response from SexyScribe....

ncq13
10-20-2004, 08:27 PM
Where, exactly with these things appear from? And hell, I've set up this being wonderful semi-mystical passionate super-sex.
Maybe the cabin is actually the gardener's love-den and is fully stocked with lubricated condoms?

ncq13
10-20-2004, 08:31 PM
Hmmm.

I have a novella I REALLY need to edit that I plan on pitching to Liquid Silver Books.

I have a submission in to SexyScribe that I am waiting to hear on.

I have a queries out to a couple of places regarding local non-fiction articles.

I am actively trying to rescue an MS which is currently in the evil clutches of someone disreputable (who shall remain nameless). I am hoping to get my rights back...

veingloree
10-20-2004, 09:09 PM
In the end I went for highly unrealistic, unsafe and un-lubbed -- which I feel a bit bad about. But the story sold so hey-ho.

veingloree
10-20-2004, 09:11 PM
Sexy Scribe don't seem to be in a hurry do they? Given the number of erotica markets I thought I would wait 4 weeks (which it may have been already) then send a query. Or do they specify something about that in the guidelines -- guess I'd better check that.

ncq13
10-20-2004, 09:43 PM
I have pitched to quite a few in- print mags and their guidelines tend to be to the letter specific. SexyScribe's guidelines are pretty simplistic and obscure.
Has anyone actually made a sale with SexyScribe?

KatYares
10-20-2004, 09:45 PM
About Sexy Scribe, I sent them a story in July, sent queries on status in both August and again in late Sept. I've still heard nothing in reply. Next step I suppose is to withdraw my submission. I can be professional even if they can't.

Blessings
Kat

ncq13
10-20-2004, 10:01 PM
Kat,
Your story doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

On another note, does anyone have a subscription to sex-writer.com? And if you do, is it well worth it?

Most of my work is over 30,000 words. The short story erotica market is relatively new to me and I'm wondering where to go to really "break" in to it. I received some great suggestions on another thread, but the thought of putting together a plausible story in under a thousand words makes me break out in a rash. I was always the kid in class that needed the extra essay booklet for tests, so short stories are a bit of a challenge, but that is why I am trying to challenge myself and write a few.

Thanks!
~Kate

KatYares
10-20-2004, 10:57 PM
Sex-Writer.com hasn't been updated since August. While Katy does have some great resources there (especially the articles) as far as markets, you can get better listings at the ERWA site.

I'm not sure I'm going to renew my subscription as updates since March have been few and far between.

I'm just not giving out any warm fuzzies today, am I?? :grin

Blessings
Kat

ncq13
10-21-2004, 01:07 AM
I'm just not giving out any warm fuzzies today, am I??

I appreciate your honesty! By being honest you are saving me a great deal of time and $$! Thank you!
~Kate

KatYares
10-21-2004, 10:52 PM
Hi all,

Just received an acceptance from them, plus a request for more. So now I'm doing a happy dance :snoopy

Just thought those that had submitted there would like to know.

Blessings
Kat

ncq13
10-22-2004, 12:26 AM
Cool! Congrats and thank you for the update!
~Kate
katestamour.com (http://katestamour.com)

lena matthews
10-22-2004, 02:31 PM
I have two books out to two different ebook publishers, and i'm trying to rewrite a novella that just won't stop sucking, and not in the good way. lol.
So right now i'm in the hurry up and wait mood, trying to be patient as i wait for the yes or no on the books i have out. I'm planning on starting a novel that has been floating around in my head for a week, but i can't seem to move forward until the sucky one is done.

veingloree
10-25-2004, 08:28 PM
I got a really vague reply from SexyScribe saying what they currently need but not explicitly accepting the samples I sent. Now I am not sure what to say in reply. Also $5 per story is low-ish.

KatYares
10-25-2004, 08:45 PM
When I first sent my story to Sexy Scribe, their guidelines said that they paid $20.00 - the new guidelines say $5.00. I can only guess which set of GL's I'll get paid by. :)

They appear to be a market that is trying to market by collecting stories and selling them elsewhere, although they do say they will have some fiction on the site itself. So I don't know.

BTW, have you heard from Eternally Noir yet?

Blessings
Kat

veingloree
10-25-2004, 08:53 PM
I haven't heard from eternally noir. I think I may pass on SexyScribe as it is unclear what they are doing or what they are paying.

I think I might try writing something for Chroma next.

veingloree
10-28-2004, 04:24 PM
Loose-ID still want more revisions but they've officially accepted my novella 'Eclipse of the Heart'!

ncq13
10-29-2004, 12:15 AM
Wooo HOOOO! Congrats!
~Kate

KatYares
10-29-2004, 01:31 AM
Under various pen names, I got up the gumption to submit to four more markets this week. All are non-paying, but all have a bit of clout (or at least I liked their philosophy). Now, got to go write some more...while I await their replies.

Blessings
Kat

veingloree
10-29-2004, 02:00 PM
Good luck with that. I am curious which four you picked? Clean Sheets, Literotica?

Nyki27
11-01-2004, 09:01 AM
Congratulations Veinglory.

I've currently nearly finished the draft of a story for the paranormal erotica anthology.

Selenia692
11-02-2004, 06:06 AM
I haven't done too much erotica (that which I do write about tends to be on BDSM type topics), but I do write a lot of non fiction about sex for several different sites.

It's definately fun to write about, that's for sure :D

pepperlandgirl
11-12-2004, 11:10 AM
I haven't been writing at all since about the second week of September. School and work takes top priority, and I have a full schedule this semester. Even so, I cleaned up "New Frontier" and submitted it to Liquid Silver Books. They requested the full manuscript, so I formally withdrew it from Ellora's Cave's consideration.

Here's hoping I won't regret it, eh?

veingloree
11-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Good luck either way. If forced to choose I would prefer Ellora's to LS, but either would be a good publisher.

pepperlandgirl
11-13-2004, 02:10 AM
I would have preferred Ellora's as well, but they had it for a total of 9 months. LS got back to me in less than a month. I figured if Ellora's wanted it, it wouldn't take them 9 months to decide. (That's 9 months just for the first 3 chapters, incidently.)

lena matthews
11-13-2004, 01:04 PM
I totally agree. I think EC is the top ebook publisher now, but with all the other sites coming out, I don't think they will stay that way for long.
LSB is a very nice site, I just submitted a full to them, and my friends who are published through them do nothing but rave about the treatment and the camaraderie. They are also slowly but surely putting their books into print. So don't look at LSB as a second choice, look at them as the ones who picked you first.

AprilBoo
01-25-2005, 01:36 AM
I'm bumping this thread up to the top because I finally have something to put in it!

I submitted to Desdmona's Shivering Short Story Contest today - wish me luck. If you submitted too, my fingers are crossed for you.