PDA

View Full Version : e-book pub's

lena matthews
01-24-2005, 02:44 PM
Is it my imagination or are erotic ebook publishers popping up all over the internet? Do you think that the market is increasing or is everybody just jumping on the bandwagon?

Lena

veingloree
01-24-2005, 09:57 PM
There are a lot of them. However even some of the new ones have manage to grab a big market in a short time. The only problem I have is trying to work out which ones will make me money and which won't (of those that are royalty based). In the short story/flat fee market, the more the better!

Kate St Amour
01-29-2005, 03:06 AM
Question:
Which pubs actually matter as far as publishing credits. EC, of course, is RWA recognized. What about Liquid Silver Books and some of the others? Are they considered, "legitimate" publishing credits?
Thank you!!
Kate

lena matthews
01-29-2005, 03:30 PM
Considered legitimate by whom?

EC is the only RWA recognized ebook publisher, but I don't think that makes any of the others less legitimate. I know that several other ebook publishers have been turned down by RWA for not meeting their standards (has to do with sale figures), but I don't feel that makes them any less legitimate.

LSB, AmberQuill, LooseId, Exstasy, Venus, and many many more are all royalty paying publishers, who pay taxes and salaries so I believe that would make them legit, but then again, it depends on what you consider legit.

Lena

Kate St Amour
01-30-2005, 11:15 PM
LSB, AmberQuill, LooseId, Exstasy, Venus, and many many more are all royalty paying publishers, who pay taxes and salaries so I believe that would make them legit, but then again, it depends on what you consider legit.

PA claims to be a legitimate publisher and I have been told their credits are meaningless in the industry. Personally, I can see LSB, AmberQuill, LooseId, Exstasy, Venus etc. developing a decent reader base (something PA doesn't have). I'm just so darned gun shy after my hellish PA experience that I want to be VERY cautious about where I send my next novel.

On another note, I have had some dealings with LSB, and I really like their staff. They were honest and helpful.

Thank you for your response Lena.

nolabohemian
01-31-2005, 03:49 AM
I've been editing for LSB for a few months now and I've had a great experience so far. We are paid on royalties, like the authors. The communication is great, and the money has come on time. I know that at least two of the writers I've worked with have elected to have multiple titles published with LSB, so I think that's a good sign as well.

veingloree
01-31-2005, 04:07 PM
What makes these publishers legit compared to PA is that they reject a lot of the material submitted to them, ensuiring their customers will be provided with a product of a certain standard.

Kate St Amour
02-01-2005, 08:19 AM
What makes these publishers legit compared to PA is that they reject a lot of the material submitted to them, ensuiring their customers will be provided with a product of a certain standard.

Point Veinglory, PA zero. I appreciate the industry clarification.

~Kate

lena matthews
02-01-2005, 10:54 AM
I feel like i'm in the dark. How's PA?

Lena

veingloree
02-01-2005, 08:00 PM
Publish America, a print-on-demand outfit that promotes themselves as a 'publisher'.

I would definitely go for e-publishers ahead of this sort of crew on a simple $ basis. Proper publisher (I presume) might bring in 1000s of dollars, e-publishing (in my experience) 100s, PA, generally not much?

AfterDarkQT
02-02-2005, 04:24 AM
but not a newbie to writing, I'd like to chime in a bit on the conversation. :)

All writers need to approach any publisher with care and caution. And publishers need to be discerning and selective according to their desired image. In the last few years, the emergence of Erotica on the Internet has opened a whole new world for writers who might not have had the outlets or opportunites to channel their style and creative needs before.
Especially for profit!

How many of us, over the years, have given our talents and creative blood away for free just because of our deep seeded desire to write? We have new opportunities now. :) ANd yes we have to be careful.

Everyone needs to find their niche and a publisher they feel comfortable working with. It takes time and patience for both writer and publisher to *gel*; to find the right market.

Royalty paying publishers new to the business must start at the ground floor and with consistent, patient focus direct their publishing houses toward the right successful market for their authors.

It does take time, patience and consideration to make it a success.

Fortunately, with the speed of cyber communications, questions and concerns can be addressed in a much timelier and personal fashion.

The most exciting part, though, is that there is room for everyone on the Internet. It is overflowing with possibilities. With the broader tastes of Erotica, and the varied levels of intensity and style, all writers can have the chance to find and work with a publisher that, in time, can bring them the highest level of satisfaction for both!

Deanna Lee
02-15-2005, 04:07 AM
To be truthful up until about a year ago, I gave my writing away. I had a huge following in a blogging community and I was alway so pleased just to get feedback from the readers.

Since I've published, many of those same readers sort of view me as a sellout for daring to make a buck on my work. At first I was rather hurt by this but then I realized that the people who really appreciated my efforts would purchase my books and continue to interact with me. The others..well they never should have mattered anyways!

Kate StAmour
02-15-2005, 04:16 PM
To be truthful up until about a year ago, I gave my writing away. I had a huge following in a blogging community and I was alway so pleased just to get feedback from the readers.

Since I've published, many of those same readers sort of view me as a sellout for daring to make a buck on my work. At first I was rather hurt by this but then I realized that the people who really appreciated my efforts would purchase my books and continue to interact with me. The others..well they never should have mattered anyways!

Sellout? You? You have a true gift and have every right to earn a buck doing what you were born to do.