epublishing comparison website?

veingloree

I was wondering if you think it would be useful to have a website comparing the terms of various erotica epublishers on the criteria listed in this article? www.writerswrite.com/epub...choose.htm

If you are associated with an epublisher would you mind answering those questions? As a writer would you like to see the answers for various epublishers tabulated?

I was thinking of doing this.

Kate StAmour

Woooo Chaaaa!
Registered
Reaction score
Basic Quantum Physics: None of us are really here
Website
katestamour.com
veingloree said:
I was wondering if you think it would be useful to have a website comparing the terms of various erotica epublishers on the criteria listed in this article? www.writerswrite.com/epub...choose.htm

If you are associated with an epublisher would you mind answering those questions? As a writer would you like to see the answers for various epublishers tabulated?

You ROCK! That would be awesome!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I will put it on my things to do list. I guess I will send a brief questionaire to the e-publishers themselves.

captivatex

veingloree said:

This IS a good idea. It also gives publishers a ready view as to what they need to do to be competitive :)

If you go ahead with this, I'd be very interested in participating.

Captivatex
Owner/Founder Logical Lust Publications
www.logical-lust.com
www.eternallyerotic.com

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have developed the following list of questions for e-publishers, but it seems rather a lot. Are there any important issues left off? Any you would not bother including?

Publisher name:

Webpage (home page and submission guidelines page):

General genre (e.g. erotica, romance)

Specialties (e.g. sub-genres, tone and sexualities)

Which lengths of fiction do you publish? (by word count if possible)

What rights do you purchase?

What is your royalty rate? (%)

Are there any fees or advances?

How often are payments made?

How is cover price determined? (price /word count if possible)

Are authors provided with free or discount copies of their work?

What formats do you publish in? Is there a trade paperback or POD option?

What format should work be submitted in?

How much editing do you typically provide?

What methods do you use to promote books? (e.g. website, chat, sending out review copies)

How are covers and blurbs developed?

What sort of cover art do you use? (painted, poser, photography etc)

Where are the books distributed and how does price differ between these sites? (e.g. own site, fictionwise, amazon etc). What is the main site of sales?

What are typical sales for novel length fiction? (This answer may be as general or specific as you choose)

What would you consider to be the main strengths as a publisher?

What types of fiction/author are you particularly interested in?

What advice would you give to authors contemplating submitting their manuscript to you? (i.e. common mistakes to avoid).

Any other information you would like to provide:

Date information provided:

captivatex

Yes, I think there are rather a lot of questions. It may depend on what you are trying to acheive. If you're looking to provide a 'quick reference' comparison for authors then perhaps only the main issues need be addressed. That way you can tabulate the data so that it's easily compared to others. Include a link to the publishers author pages/guidelines so that THEN the author can go to the site for more in depth information

I think the main issues that will be important to authors would be;

Name
Website
Main Genre
Sub-Genres
Royalty rates
Payment methods
Payment frequency
Submission format
Rights taken
Notification period (the time it takes them to make a decision!)

Captivatex
Owner and Founder, Logical Lust Publications
www.logical-lust.com
www.eternallyerotic.com

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The site is growing slowly. I could still use

--More names of epublishers of erotic roamnce that accept unagented queries
--Link to useful articles about ER writing or epublishing. especially how to choose a legit e-publisher and comparing e-publishing with self-publishing and trad. paublishing.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I amstaring to add links to publisher rec sites (preds & ed, ralan, peirs anthony and here). Any other place you check out publishers?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am currently looking for 1-4 sentence endorsements by writers of epublishers. I want to put these in sidebars next to the information on each publisher and I could provide a link to the writers hoimepage and latest book in return. I am looking for positive and specifc comments to help show what you liked about your epublisher. Please email if you can help, or post your material here!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Even though I don't do erotic romance, I just wanted to let you know that plenty of people are going to be, or are already, extremely grateful that you're doing this. Lots of people have good intentions, but you've got the follow-through!

Maryn, impressed