Erotica Writers' Resources and Forum Users' Tips

veingloree

Welcome to this forum, I hope you enjoy your stay. Whether you are a seasoned writer, reader or newbie please feel free to jump into the discussions. The usual nettiquete applies, vigorous debate is fine, obscenity and person insults are not -- have fun and play nice!

There is a separate sub-forum for sharing works in progress, ( http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...play.php?f=132 ). You need a password, please PM me with an age statment for the password (you must be 21 or over).

I would also recommend an off site Erotic Writing Critique group called The Fish Tank at www.desdmona.com/login.php?P=forums.php

Ifyou are seeking markets to submit to try Erotica Readers and Writers: http://www.erotica-readers.com/ERA/G/G-Main.htm

MARKETS DISCUSSED

Aphrodite Unlaced
Ellora's Cave exotica
Ocean's Mist
Whiskey Creek

Last edited by a moderator:

Maryn

Thank You!

I'm sure I speak for others when I tell you I appreciate the assembled information. I'd never let my 'real' critique group see my erotica, so the possibility of critique by other erotica authors is intriguing. Cool!

Maryn

veingloree

Re: Thank You!

I have found Desdmona's very useful. Hope to see you there.

wildfire

but the link to the info on markets doesn't work-- and that's what I most want to know first! Is it just temporarily down?

DeniseK

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
When it goes to that white page, the link is there, click on it. It works.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
I tried getting on Desdmona and did...went back and the site was down...I know my internet connection is working because I can browse everywhere else...

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I will make some time to check these links. I believe ERB may have closed but the other groups are still open--they may have changed their url or be experiencing some short term problems.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I've tested and corrected the links. if you know of other useful sites, please let me know. I would be particulalr interested in market listings either focused on erotica or easily searchable for this genre.

chicagogal

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sylviaresnick.com
HELP: two years ago I submitted a synopsis and sample chapter to an erotica book publisher who replied with interest, asking for more chaptes. Life happened and this was put on hold as I was too, for a while. recently I reconnected with this editor/publisher and submitted the same synopsis with three sample chapters and a detailed outline of the balance of the book. this afternoon I heard back that my project is more mainsteam, not steamy enough for them with suggestions of two publishers to contact. I am so very puzzled as much of the language and content is what I thought was erotic. so now, I am in a neither here nor there situation. the book may be too racy for mainstream, but not racy enough for erocia. WHAT OH WHAT TO DO. BOO HOO.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the easiest thing to do would probably be to re-bore the pistons, add a fuel injector and a harder suspension and 'race' faster.

Racy is as racy does, anyway, there are plenty of erotica publishers these days and some like a more relaxed spicy romance and even have separate lines for them.

Regards,

Scott

The Big Kahoona

That would be my question also "Chicagogal"?
How much is to much and when are you supposed to know, that it is enough.
You can say: Look at the examples, but are you supposed to count the words or something??

Last edited:

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
The best thing to do is to actually read books published by the various erotica lines, and try to pinpoint how your book compares to them. The "hottest" erotica books tend to be published by Kensington Aphrodesia, Ellora's Cave Exotica, and Virgin's Black Lace and Nexxus lines (Nexxus deals specifically with festish and BDSM fiction). Harlequin Blaze, Virgin Cheek, and Kensington Brava are a bit lower on the "Hot" scale, but still quite racy. If you don't have blunt, explicit words like "c*nt" and "c*ck" and "p*ssy" in your erotica fiction these days, it barely counts as erotica. Most of the straight romance lines are going very racy too these days, though they usually don't use the very frank sexual language that erotica does. Perhaps your book is more mainstream? "Mainstream" romance doesn't necessarily mean "no sex" anymore.