Bifocals

Who wears em?

• Do you wear them all the time?

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Do you wear them occasionaly?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Are you a bad boy or girl and don't wear them but are supposed to?

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Do you care? :)

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity..who here wears Bifocals? I'm only 35 and have them now...my eyes are at the point where I need them. When I had to get Bifocals it was a defining moment in my life--i'm getting older :( But hey we all get older.

Anyway, I was curious who wears them :)

Kentuk

I want to write what I want to write
Registered
Reaction score
I do. At first I also had driving glasses and reading glasses but I ditched the reading glasses and wear bifocal sunglasses. I've got the type where the change is gradual so by tilting my head I can focus. They lack the distinctive line across the middle so no one knows my dirty secret.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
I've had them about a month now and still getting used to them... So far I can't complain though.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I was prescribed bifocals around age 17-18.
I didn't adjust to them well, so don't wear them now. Instead, I pull my glasses up on top of my head when I'm viewing something close. Then my hair gets caught in the little nosepad thingies on my glasses, and sometimes even rips them off. I now have no nosepads and ugly marks on my nose. I need new glasses, and may just get the bifocals this time.
Or laser correction.

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
After three months or so, I realized that my reading material had gravitated to three inches away from my face. So I got my first pair of reading glasses last year (+50) then I found out that I had astigmatism in my right eye.

Then later on, I realized that my vision wasn't getting bad, the text was getting smaller, something like 10 pt fonts.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I've been wearing either a contact (yeah... just one!) or reading glasses for some time now. But I've reached the point where both eyes need help, and I'm tired of chasing glasses all over the bloody world. I've got 'em all over the house, in the car, at the office, in my purse... And I can still NEVER find a pair when I need 'em.

IOW, I'm asking for the bifocals next time I go in so I can just hang 'em on my face and be done with it.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
I discovered I needed reading glasses a few years back, but my long vision is excellent. I asked him what could be some of the causes and he said "Simple, age. Except for a very rare few, everyone's short vision begins deteriorating in the forties."

So far as the long vision goes, I often astonish people when I read little signs from hundreds of yards away when they can only see dots. But man, the accelerating rate at which reading has become more difficult is incredible.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
I wear multi-focal contacts. Same thing as bifocals, except your mind has to sort out which prescription to pay attention to.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
I started wearing glasses at 14 for being nearsighted. I take that back. I got glasses at 14 but didn't start wearing them full-time until I walked into a wall and busted my nose at 16.

I recently went in to be tested for bifocals but was told I didn't need them yet, however, my arm-lengthening surgery is scheduled for next week. I can't find reading glasses that are strong enough. Heeeeeeeelp!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I actually wear nonfocals. I really don't pay attention to much and can't focus on anything HEY! LOOK! IT'S A NICKEL! PHILLIP!

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
I've been wearing glasses since I was 20--and my vision has steadily gotten worse..It's not the point where I need Lasik but i've contemplated it :) Get rid of the glasses completely :) I can't wear contacts unfortunately!!

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't gone to get my eyes checked. I just have about 3 pair of cheap reading glasses laying around, one at home, one in the car one at work, At first they were just for really tiny print, but now I use them for reading on the computer and reading nearly everything in print. If I'm reading, chances are I have my reader glasses perched on my nose. I'm 36. Eventually I'll probably end up with prescription, I just haven't done it yet. In the meantime the $9.99 pairs at Walgreen's is doing just fine.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've had no-line bifocals and later, trifocals, but I always pushed my glasses up, Gloria Steinham-style, to read or use my computer. My eye doctor insisted I try reading through the glasses, but I never did adapt well to it after giving it two chances with two pairs of glasses. So the most recent time I got new glasses, I just got the long-vision adjustment, plus astigmatism correction.

I confess, though, that the fat paperback with the small print that I'm reading has to be held a little too close, and I need really good lighting. Maybe the time for bifocals is nigh.

Aspiring, check out Lasik thoroughly before you go--many successful procedures result in the wearer still wearing glasses (with far less correction, but still, it's glasses) and with night vision problems.

Maryn, who doesn't wear contacts well

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Maryn...I will definitely check it out but right now my vision isn't bad enough to where i'm a candidate...but have contemplated it just to rid of glasses...I've heard that it's not 100% succesful in every one who has it done :)

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Interesting thing about bifocals, especially the traditional lined type: The same mental process that "tunes out" the bifocal line also works on cracked car windshields.

I have yet to get the windshield on the Subaru fixed but others riding in the front seat complain "I'm getting a headache! How can you look at that and drive at the same time?"

Answer: "I don't see it anymore."

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
I've been wearing glasses since I was 20--and my vision has steadily gotten worse..It's not the point where I need Lasik but i've contemplated it :) Get rid of the glasses completely :) I can't wear contacts unfortunately!!

I'm hinky about my eyeballs. Cannot stand anything coming near them, so forget contacts. And Lasik? They'd have to strap me down like Alex in A Clockwork Orange to perform that on me. Even then, I'd snap at least one doctor's neck. Yep, stay away from my peepers, boys, and nobody dies...

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I consider myself fortunate that I do not need glasses. My little brother got his first pair of glasses two years ago, I think, when he was about 17. I have a bad face shape for glasses, so I was always terrified that I would need them. I even avoid sunglasses.

Sorry, that was kind of off topic, I know.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Odd thing about reaching the point where you need reading glasses, you often don't realise for a long time that there's a problem. When I looked back I realised thet for ages I'd started reading less because it was becoming frustrating, yet I hadn't even considered the obvious. And you tend to start getting headaches etc. cause your eyes are fighting to maintain focus.