Animal emotions and behavior

lastr

When you are writing something that needs to introduce an animal to the readers and draw them into the essence of that animal how do you do it? Show, don't describe is one of the writing guidelines we all have been taught. So a bit of an exercise for those interested. Pick an animal and write a paragraph showing their interaction and response to a situation, another being, or event.

veingloree

I awoke suddenly from a deep slumber to the sharp, flowery scent of the alien being. The creature hovered for some time in the air as I cowered from it, but there was nowhere to escape to, nowhere to run. Every limb locked solid as I froze in position and hoped somehow to be overlooked. It waved its five blunt, bald and eyeless limbs and somehow I knew it had picked me out. Suddenly it stooped down and grabbed me. I squealed in fear is it wrenched me upwards towards certain doom.

(Hopefully a depiction of how a neglected rat might feel when suddenly picked up. Afterall they have poor sight and an innate fear of flying predators :eek ).

lastr

That was wonderful! I read it and went to pick up Baby, my hooded rat, and realized why I always scoop from below rather then reach from above - she's taught me the right way to do it and I never thought about why before. They do indeed have poor eyesight, but amazing ability to respond to love and very intelligent.

veingloree

I am a big fan of rats, and they do grow to love being handled if -- as you say -- it is done the right way :) . I still wonder if they still see us as being our hands, my rats would do play/grooming behaviour to hands almost as if they saw them as being friendly rats (Bald, deformed, levitating rats, but hey rats aren't judgemental about appearance ;) )

lastr

I'm not sure if Baby knows that my hands are attached to me, but she will groom/play with them, then scamper up my arm to sit on my shoulder and nibble my ear and tell me things. I love to watch her wash her face, she uses her little paws and pats her ears clean. She does the same to my thumb, wonder if she thinks it's a large baby rat? I also am a big fan of rats.

carol

Yeshanu

Need to get Ally in here...

Her current rat is a sweetie. A bit shy, but full of curiosity. He always perks up when I enter the room.