Places to submit stories about animals

lastr

This section will be devoted to information on where to submit all those wonderful stories about animals that need a home. :coffee Grap a cup of coffee and check them out. Please add on, and if you would put what the lead is in the subject line it would be appreciated.

lastr

Got a dog or cat on your Front Porch?

Front Porch This syndicate loves stories about animals and has accepted a few from me. Most of their categories ask for 500-800 words and they request FNASR only. They are easy to work with and will forward letters to you that they receive from readers. I've gotten forwarded email from Maine, California, Nebraska, etc. They pay 75.00 a piece and include a tear sheet for your *brag* book.

Good luck, read the guidlines on their website under Contributers and hope to see you in the paper soon.

veingloree

Off Lead - how to train your human to fetch food on command

This one is cribbed from the paying markets board but seems to fit here:
==============================================
Off-Lead seeks to improve training techniques, business skills and relationships. We are interested in profitable solutions and problem solving. Off-Lead will accept articles that are in any way related to the world of dogs, as long as the dogs are obedience trained with motivational methods. ie: dance, carting, hunting, performance, freestyle, tricks, and, of course, competition. Payment Policy: $15 per story, upon publication. Buys First Norh American rights.

Query First! Query on all submissions before writing an article that may not be needed at this time. Queries should be in writing. We prefer double-spaced, typed articles. Articles may be e-mailed in RTF format to [email protected]. When e-mailing submissions, title the correspondence with "OL" at the beginning. Create a short synopsis of the points that you plan to make. A sample paragraph would be helpful. Articles that are accepted for publication are subject to editing for content, punctuation and space.

lastr

Grab a Bowtie and submit that companion animal manuscript

Bowtie Press publishes factually accurate and fun-to-read books about companion animals.

Guidelines are on their site.

lastr

Horse Illustrated

Horse Illustrated states "We need informative, in-depth, upbeat articles (limited to 2,000 words) that will help readers better care for and enjoy their horses. They may be about such topics as training (for both horse and rider), management or horse-related activities. We also accept shorter articles (approximately 500 words) that are news-oriented for our “Horseman’s World” department. We do not publish fiction or personal accounts told in the first person. We do not accept tributes to deceased horses or poetry. Please do not send breed profiles; this monthly feature is always assigned."

Guidelines are on their site, they take almost forever to get back to you but if accepted it is a great publishing credit to add to your collection.

lastr

Does your writing fly free with the wild birds?

"Wild Bird is always looking for exciting birding stories and photos. Although we work with a wonderful group of contributors, we are on the lookout for new, knowledgeable writers and photographers.

The magazine does not accept unsolicited manuscripts and photo submissions. Please send a detailed query that proposes your story idea or asks if we have a need for the particular photographs that you would like to submit. After we indicate an interest or need for your materials, include a self-addressed, stamped envelope with your submissions."

More information and guidelines on their site.

lastr

Fish stories for those that would rather watch then catch

Aquarium Fish Magazine"What should you write about? Topics could include a particular fish species, a family of fishes, how-to articles about setting up specific types of tanks, reef tanks and their occupants, personal experiences with tropical fishkeeping (provided there's a lesson to be learned from the article), fish diseases, filtration hints, feeding tips, invertebrates (both fresh- and saltwater), ponds and pond fish and anything else that has to do with the fishkeeping hobby, both salt and fresh (or that interesting in-between world of the brackish dwellers). An occasional article about a unique species, even if it's not widely kept (if at all) may sometimes appear in Aquarium Fish, but the appeal of such articles is limited. Plus, articles like those are difficult to illustrate. But if you have great photos to send along with the article, the piece stands a chance of being accepted."

They do insist on someone being an expert about what they are writing, guidelines on their site above.

lastr

Cat Stories - get the ball of catnip out

Cat Fancy accepts queries for articles. Guidelines on the link, make sure you follow them this is one magazine that does dump unsolicited articles but they pay well for the ones they contract for.:D

lastr

For love of Ferrets

Ferret Magazine is the place to submit story ideas about those scraps of energy and balls of fun, ferrets. Guidelines for queries are on the site.

lastr

A cup of comfort, a lot of joy.

A Cup of Comfort is currently accepting submissions for a book under consideration called "Animal Lovers". Guidelines are on the link. There is no end date yet, so we all have a chance to get our best stories in.

foxtale1

The Front Porch Sunday Newspaper Supplement

You are right about Front Porch. There are several story categories, most revolve around what's happened in your life, growing up in America. I've just had a 650 word piece on my recollection of tracking a raccoon accepted for September. Two years ago I had an abbreviated 200 word portion of that story accepted for 'Worth Re-telling' in Scouting Magazine, the BSA Adult Leaders mag. Wahoo, $30 for the short $75 for the long, and 5 of my 15 minutes promised by the late Andy Warhol!

lastr

Re: The Front Porch Sunday Newspaper Supplement

I've just had a 650 word piece on my recollection of tracking a raccoon accepted for September.
Congratulations foxtale and welcome to the board! I bet your 15 minutes of fame is getting set to turn into 15 hours worth.

Carol