Strange quasi-ethical dilemma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Without knowing exactly what it is, I can't really answer. But if I did not like certain things about a client, I think that, in most cases, I could not hold it against the agent. I can't say if this would cause you problems...are you hinting that this isn't something you would be able to keep to yourself?

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Why would your feelings about some other client ever come into your relationship with your agent? It's not like you'd ever be expected to interact with that person; on the outside chance that your agent suggested that one of you blurb the other, you could respectfully decline to provide such a blurb or receive one, and there would probably be no questions asked. Short of that, I don't see how it would ever come up.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like every one of my boss's employees, but I like my boss.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it would be a problem for me. The other author has his own thing going with the agent and doesn't infringe on your relationship with the agent. I don't think the agent would be guilty by association ... depending on what it is you find objectionable.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Your explanation is very confusing. And if it's about fan fic, who cares? If this agent is a reputable one, his other clients aren't your business.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I'll just delete the rest of what I've said.
I hate when this happens. It's unfair to the posters in the thread and renders their responses meaningless. For everyone else, it's a waste of time trying to decipher the OP's original intent.

I wish more folks would stand by what they write and resist the delete option in cases like this, however many second thoughts they may have. If you're going to start a thread or post in one, learn to live with what you say.

Just Me

Not Really Here
Registered
Reaction score
Home? I have no home. Hunted, despised, living lik
Website
www.trchelle.com
I hate when this happens. It's unfair to the posters in the thread and renders their responses meaningless.
No, it wasn't meaningless at all. This has actually helped me quite a bit, and I give my thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. It's just that, in this instance, leaving up what I said before is probably more trouble than it's worth. I was worried over nothing, and I don't want to leave up a question that probably never should have been asked.

The gist of it was whether or not your feelings toward one of an agent's clients should affect whether or not you decide to query the agent. It looks like the answer is no (and I can see now that I was being silly), so there's nothing much to see here.

~JM.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Silver King, I understand your perception, because encountering a thread like this is like hearing only half of a telephone conversation. You walk into the room and another family member is obviously having a conversation of some importance, but, no matter how many times you say, "What is it? What is it?" they ignore you. So, you have to wait until they get off the phone and hope that they will tell you what the other half of the conversation was.

Just like that hypothetical phone conversation, though, the family member in the room with you is under no obligation to share any part of it. Just Me's words belong to Just Me. If she chooses to delete or edit her posts, that is her choice.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
If she chooses to delete or edit her posts, that is her choice.
Of course she can. It just bugs the heck out of me, in particular when the start of a thread is deleted. It leaves all the other posts swaying in the breeze and folks wondering what the discussion is truly about.

Speaking only for myself, as a matter of courtesy to those reading, I won't delete or edit my posts. And I've made more than a few regrettable comments I wish to have back. The way I see it, though, is that I had ample opportunity to think through my words, and once they're out there, I won't erase them. I may apologize or try to clarify a position, but that's about it.

Maybe it's important to consider what we write at all times, even on message boards, for when our words make it to printed form, there are precious few redoes available to take back what we say.

Status
Not open for further replies.