The Truth about Dogs and Cats

lastr

From the time I was young I can remember our oldest dog, Chipper. People claim that cats and dogs are sworn enemies. Well, Chipper is living proof this statement is dead wrong. One of my earliest memories is of Chipper, two cats named Marvin and Millie, and me sleeping together. I was woken up by the sound of purring. As I opened my eyes, I saw that Chipper was lying on his side with his paws on either side of the two young kittens. They were happily purring as they drowsed away to sleep.

Now that I’m older, I think back and imagine if only humans that think they are sworn enemies could get along like this. What a wonderful world it would be. There would no longer be a need for war, for that matter there wouldn’t have been the Iraq war. We as the United States wouldn’t have even thought about Saddam having weapons of mass destruction. In fact, Weapons of Mass Destruction wouldn’t even exist.

If only the world was like the truth about cats and dogs instead of like the myth about them.
-------------
Written by my son for a class project in middle school. My cats and dogs do get along (the cats rule though), how about yours?

ChunkyC

We always had cats when I was growing up and I've carried that into my adult life. I've never had a dog, but I love 'em too.

When I was eight, the family cat belonging to my buddy gave birth to seven or eight kittens. They also had a huge fox hound. One day while we were visiting to pick out a pair of kittens for our family, we saw the mother cat walk by with a kitten in her mouth. Right behind her was the hound ... with a kitten in his mouth. We freaked because, being a dog and all, he didn't know how to carry the kitten properly. The poor little kitty's head was completely inside the dogs mouth, all we could see of the kitten was from the neck down. My mother's initial reaction was "oh my, he's killed the baby!" but my friend's mom said, "no, just watch."

The dog followed mommy cat into the kitchen where she had placed the first kitten, and he plopped #2 right next to it, unharmed ... except perhaps for a risk of drowning in fox hound slobber, poor thing. They continued this until all the kittens were in the kitchen.

I've never seen anything like it since. That dog adored that cat and her babies. He would even wash the kittens with a tongue bigger than they were. When we finally took our pair of kittens home, the look on that dog's face as we took those babies away from him would break your heart.

lastr

My dogs all adore the cats, and since I run an animal sanctuary that is a good thing. The only problem is the dogs all :heart to help me *clean* the cat litter pans. Just proves what all cat lovers claim, cats are predators and dogs are scavengers. You would never see a cat rolling in some of the *stuff* that a dog will for instance. Of course, you will never get a cat to bring you the paper either. Each has their own merits, and as long as I realize the cats rule the house they even let me live in it with the dogs. :b

lastr

When we finally took our pair of kittens home, the look on that dog's face as we took those babies away from him would break your heart.
I hope you gave him visitation rights as their surrogate Dad. :thumbs What a beautifully written story ChunkyC!

RichMar

I have a 15 month-old Wheaton Terrier and a 4 month-old kitten that I found wandering in my yard. The Terrier, Jackie, weighs 55 pounds; the kitten, Smokey, weighs about 4.

The kitten is locked in a room when we go to bed and the dog is crated for the night. (If he's free Smokey'll pester my older cat all night.)

I let Jackie out first thing in the morning, then Smokey. First thing Smokey does is run down the stairs to Jackie. They lick each others face for a few minutes then start wrestling. The kitten digs her nails into the sheep-like hair of the dog and is dragged through the living room while taking bites on Jackie's neck. Jackie then fits most of the kitten in her mouth and lays down as though munching on a piece of rawhide.

The only time I put a stop to it is when they're chasing each other around the house, scattering throwrugs, books, magazines, and sometimes the lighter pieces of furniture. I then throw them both in Jackies crate.

They spend the next 5 minutes staring at me, one moaning, one mewing. Jackie usually gives it up first. She lays down and falls asleep. Smokey then snuggles herself into Jackies hairy belly and nods out himself.

This has been going on daily since Smokey arrived.

Writing Again

When I was a little kid I raised a cat, a white rat, a small dog, and a goldfish together. In real life the goldfish was a bit of snob and refused to associate with the other three who slept together in a bundle. The cat would get jealous of the rat sitting on my shoulder and would climb up and sit on my other shoulder while the dog jumped around my feet and barked at them.

The first epic novel I ever wrote was about these three. In it the dog had been taken away to the pound and the cat, the rat, and the goldfish all set off across town to rescue him. Of course they had to do some rescuing of each other along the way.

lastr

The first epic novel I ever wrote was about these three. In it the dog had been taken away to the pound and the cat, the rat, and the goldfish all set off across town to rescue him. Of course they had to do some rescuing of each other along the way.

That sounds like something I would love to read.:thumbs

Carol