Writing about animals - Information

lastr

Welcome to the thread devoted to writing about animals. I'm excited at having this opportunity for those that write about interactions with pets, and other animals to have a place to interact together. I look forward to a exciting time full of questions, leads, and networking on the subject of writing about our wonderful furred companions.

lastr

Thank you, this is exciting - my favorite subject and my favorite people all in one place.

Carol

ChunkyC

From an animal lover, cats in purr-tickular
11.gif
, a big :thumbs for this forum, and congrats on being the mod, Carol!

veingloree

What a great idea. I have written a few animal things in 'the Rat and Mouse Gazette' and 'Society and Animals' (under a different name from my more riske stuff). I have found it to be a rather small market, sadly. Perhaps we can help each other scout out some new leads?

awatkins

Hi! Yay, a board devoted to my speciality! I've been writing about animals (especially birds) for years and have acquired quite a few publishing credits all because of the wonderful furred, finned, and feathered creatures I've known.

I've lurked here for a very loooooong time (hi everybody!) but this brought me out of the shadows. :) Can't wait to see the board develop. Thanks!!

Anne
THE CONURE HANDBOOK
Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
www.geocities.com/anne_c_watkins

lastr

Welcome Anne! Glad to see you out of lurking mode and in the field with the rest of us. You write about birds? What kinds do you specialize in? Bird people are incredible, birds are so sensitive, intelligent, and social that they remind me of three year olds. Just leaving the "No" stage and sliding over into the bright, helpful, still throws tanturms stage. :D

awatkins

Thanks for the welcome, Carol! It's so nice to be here. Thanks too for the nice comments about bird people. LOL

My new book (just released last month! yessss!) tells you everything you ever wanted to know about conures. I love those little parrots! Have one myself that is 18 years old and my very best buddy. :) I do a lot of writing about parrots and other companion birds in hopes of enriching their lives and the lives of their human friends. But I better shut up now or I'll just go on and on and on....

I'm looking forward to getting to know the others who are also interested in writing about animals. :)

Anne
THE CONURE HANDBOOK

lastr

Anne I've added a poll for people to select what they write about. Since I set it up alphabetically guess what is number one :grin Please add to the thread it will give all of us a chance to get to meet each other and see where our interests are.

BTW I love birds, and have a huge flock of doves that come to be fed when the horses are. Since I live on the Texas coast I get a lot of herons, egrets, and other wading birds in my tank (that's Texas talk for a pond). I also have falcons, owls, and all kinds of songbirds to watch.

Carol Carefully not talking about all the pigeons that are also here.

awatkins

Just took part in the poll. And noticed what was first up. LOL

I love watching wild birds, too! In fact, I feed tons of cardinals, sparrows, indigo buntings, etc. on my front porch. Too interesting! I'm glad to meet you, Carol. :)

As you can see, I have some free time this morning so I'm driving you crazy posting. :b

Anne
THE CONURE HANDBOOK

pssst...why don't we talk about pigeons? *cringe*

littlecupofjoe

Yay!!! A whole section on animals!:snoopy

I am a wildlife biologist, and I write a column on wildlife for a website. I also write stuff for conservation organizations like psas, background documents, slogans, direct mail, etc...

So animals are my passion and my specialty.

I am so happy to see that there are others out there who love animals like me.

And birds too.

I used to breed canaries.

I also have 6 cats and 2 dogs.

Littlecupofjoe :coffee

lastr

Welcome :coffee what a great job you have! Glad to have you here with us, looking forward to great conversations with you.

Carol

awatkins

Ack, Ruth,now I understand. I will never mention the 'P' word again. lol

lastr

Ack, Ruth,now I understand. I will never mention the 'P' word again. lol
Manure removal also seems to be a subject that makes Ruth shudder. :rofl

Gala

Cool board!

Dear littlecupojoe: Do you have any humans? I mean, they're mammals too...just like your pets...aren't they?

:nerd

awatkins

Littlecupofjoe...

I can't believe I missed this earlier! You used to breed canaries? I just love those little birds. Had a sweet little male that sang and sang and sang for many years. He's made quite a few appearances in my writing. :)

Your work sounds very interesting!