Tea, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
If so, does that make it teatime? Or tea time? Or perhaps tea-time?

I'm not sure if this is the place for my question, but if so hurrah! And if so, can anyone tell me which is the correct way to combine "tea" and "time"?!

Thanks,
Mark

PS, I can't work around it, or don't want to, because my novel is called Texas Teatime/Tea-time, Tea Time.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Once again, I will offer my opinion as a sacrifice, before Someone Who Actually Knows can clarify. [ETA: with respect to Carmy and WildScribe, there weren't any other posts when I started typing my response.]

I infer different meanings, as follows*:

"teatime" is a time of day or an adjective, e.g. "daytime soaps", "nighttime revels", "Christmastime"

"tea time" indicates, say, an appropriate or opportune time to do something, e.g. "it's clobberin' time!", "home time" (as in, time to go home)

"tea-time" is used when it's time that's the focus, e.g. "old-time rock and roll", "two-timing so-and-so"

I'll be interested to see what others say. Thanks for posing the question!

*: But this is just me

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Tea time. Nothng would otherwise indicate this is a compound word. Also, hyphenation would mean it modifies something else (e.g, team-time biscuits).

jt

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Teatime

As I understand it, "tea time," "teatime," and "tea-time" are all acceptable, and each can be found in various dictionaries, but none are really used much in England or anywhere else when the person means "time to drink tea." Use of the hyphen is the rarest of the three, but still makes its way into a number of dictionaries, titles of books, etc.

"Tea time," (Or teatime/tea-time), is generally used by restaurants, or others trying to sell or promote tea. Sort of alone the lines of "anytime is teatime." And each is used is such questions as "What time is tea time in London?"

But if you're actually talking about a time during the day to drink tea, there's tea, which often means "a meal," and can, for example, mean breakfast or lunch. Then you have Afternoon tea (low tea), usually at 4:00 P.M., and High tea, which is dinner.

At any rate, it sounds like you don't care about the customs of tea, but about the title for a novel, so any of the three versions will do.

Reaction score
Tea as a meal never means breakfast or lunch. It means 'dinner'. Well, an evening meal.

If someone asks another round for tea, they're expected in the early evening, never breakfast time or anywhere near noon!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shame on you, Mark. You're in the states now, Buddy! Time for a good cup of joe. ;)

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
This is new to me, even after being in the UK for 17 years now. You definetly learn new data every day :D

I thought Teatime always consisted of a mid-afternoon Pot of Earl grey, with a delicious plate of jam or cream scones...

...ohhh yes, that'll be one mug of tea for me too pleaseeeee :D and an oat biscuit if you have one ;)

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Yes, I'd agree with Ana, but maybe it's a southern English thing. Certainly in Scotland, "tea" is an evening meal - same in the northern UK, I believe. But where I come from (the West Country) tea was served at about 4pm (teatime) and before supper at 6.

Last edited:

Sandi LeFaucheur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandilefaucheur.com
It also boils down to "class". To call your evening meal "tea" and your midday meal "dinner" is a working class thing. Upper class folk call midday meal "lunch" and evening meal "dinner" with "tea" in between. (To muddy the waters further, in schools, if you buy a meal it's a school dinner, but if you bring your own it's a packed lunch.)

Nolita

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Sorry, I'm just surprised. This was a running theme on Are You Being Served.

Oh and I think I get where the OP's coming from. Since Texas Tea is another way of saying oil(guess who watched The Beverly Hillbillies), does this mean they're going for a play on words? I better just give the link a click. Oh it's not a link. So now I just have to guess. Does it involve an oil heiress?

Last edited:

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Hi Nolita,
You are right, of course, it's a play on words. My MC is an Englishman who comes to Texas and gets into all sorts of trouble, most notably with a rotund Texas oilman who is convinced my MC was sent by God to run his oil company. He wasn't, rather he was sent to Texas by his exasperated father to locate a suitable plot of land to host a pheasant shoot.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I looked it up, I saw it as tea-time. With a hyphen.

Nolita

Registered
Reaction score
Cool :). So now how to choose? Or have you chosen? So presumably James is right, and the others are just teasing him. Why not try each version in different fonts? I know the publisher chooses the font, but whichever version you find visually appealing in the most fonts should be the winner right?

Wait a minute. Don't they have pheasants in England? Haha, a wild pheasant chase! I like how your imagination works :). Wait another minute. Maybe my imagination veered off the road and I just don't have a clue. Oh well, it's fun both ways :D.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.