PDA

View Full Version : So Close. So Far Away.

jonereb
04-24-2007, 05:46 AM
After requesting a full, here's what the agent said:

"Your premise has promise and you seem to have some talent. I'm sorry we can't represent you in this book."

Why not? (sigh). Onward through the fog.

CaroGirl
04-24-2007, 05:48 AM
Oh! Here I am joining your club! I know exactly how you feel. My rejection today said: "Thank you for the interesting query - I found the premise quite unusual and fascinating." Why, then, don't they want to represent us? Huh?

Oh well, hang in there!

Rolling Thunder
04-24-2007, 06:26 AM
Many possibilities. Maybe they have a client with a similar book out to publishers. Send it to another agent.

Arisa81
04-24-2007, 08:34 AM
Sorry about the rejection. Keep sending it out. You'll get there :)

blacbird
04-24-2007, 09:43 AM
This is a binary system, yes or no. There exists no such thing as "close".

caw

donut
04-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Ugh, what a frustrating rejection! Way to not even give you a hint what you might want to work on... The only thing to do is query on!

Saundra Julian
04-24-2007, 01:23 PM
Sorry, jon...hugs for you...:Hug2:

maddythemad
04-24-2007, 06:24 PM
Though it still sucks to get a rejection, that seems like a pretty nice and positive one! And blacbird, I'm sorry, but I think you're wrong. There is such a thing as close. This is close.

"Sorry not for me" could mean "Ohmigosh your writing SUCKS! I don't think I've seen anything this bad, in-- well, EVER, really! Let me call up all my friends and guffaw about it over the phone to them!"

"Your premise has promise and you seem to have some talent. I'm sorry we can't represent you in this book," means just that. And it's "close" in the sense that if this person thought jonereb has talent, then others will too.

Keep querying, jonereb. :D

Pisarz
04-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Fog indeed. Being told the premise is good but getting a rejection anyway makes me want to self-engage in some good old-fashioned late 19th-century bloodletting a la Bram Stoker's Dracula.

That being said, that's a very complimentary rejection and you probably have a good shot at representation. Your idea is good, so keep querying.

David McAfee
04-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Those stink. I've gotten a few of those. I got one where the agent said the story was well written and the idea was original, but it just was not right for their agency.

blacbird
04-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Though it still sucks to get a rejection, that seems like a pretty nice and positive one! And blacbird, I'm sorry, but I think you're wrong. There is such a thing as close. This is close.

No need to be sorry. I could be wrong. It's happened once or twice before. But I have a very large pile of these "close" rejections, and have never got farther than that, with anything. So I'm skeptical.

I find these things more demoralizing than encouraging any more.

caw

MidnightMuse
04-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Close only counts in horsehoes and hand grenades, as they said. I hate those with a purple passion.

It's like: I love you, I'm just not IN love with you.

Feh. Keep sending it out until you get that hit square between their eyes. And if that doesn't work, send out the hand grenades.

Susan B
04-25-2007, 07:23 AM
Well, I don't have lots of experience--just one book, my first, now being shopped around by my agent. Prior to that, I got a number of "close" rejections after other agents requested and read the proposal--one or two were just "nice, but too hard to sell," but others were very regretful, sometimes included suggestions of more suitable agencies. These left me feeling encouraged. I did eventually get a "yes" from a good agent. (And now we are going through the same thing with publishers.) So I think it's binary in terms of what it means for that particular agent or editor--but not for what it means about your prospects.

Susan

Maprilynne
04-25-2007, 08:06 AM
Close only counts in horsehoes and hand grenades,

... and in the back seat.;)

blacbird
04-25-2007, 08:46 AM
Last query out, "not for us". Again. Time to pull the plug, methinks. I've done the best I can do at this, nothing I'm working on has any possibility of being any better, and none of it has the marketability of rancid liver pudding.

"Close". Riiiiiiiiiight. "Close".

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiight.

caw

billyf027
04-25-2007, 01:15 PM
short stories at all?

arkady
04-25-2007, 05:18 PM
No need to be sorry. I could be wrong. It's happened once or twice before. But I have a very large pile of these "close" rejections, and have never got farther than that, with anything. So I'm skeptical.

I find these things more demoralizing than encouraging any more.

caw

Same here. None of my handwritten rejections have gained me a thing.

Scrawler
04-25-2007, 10:19 PM
I consider all my rejections to be deep, meaningful and full of insight. :D
No matter how kindly they word it, to me a rejection means "Scrawler's work isn't quite good enough for the competitive marketplace. It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business."

Pisarz
04-25-2007, 11:22 PM
Last query out, "not for us". Again. Time to pull the plug, methinks. I've done the best I can do at this, nothing I'm working on has any possibility of being any better, and none of it has the marketability of rancid liver pudding.

"Close". Riiiiiiiiiight. "Close".

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiight.

caw

Blac, how many 2007 queries have you sent? Always remember the art of the requery . . .

janetbellinger
04-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Oh Blackie, if you pull the plug, I have to as well. I don't even have a single so called close.

Dollywagon
04-26-2007, 09:21 AM
I had a response the other week, via email, from a publishers that don't respond if they are not interested, that said, "unique, funny" and "unsuccessful" all in the same sentence.

Don't ask me anymore, I've lost the bluddy plot.

But you do have my sympathies.