animal sounds

Stephanie

You guys know I'm in Poland, right? As in Europe.

OK, so there's a little bit of a language barrier -- expected, dealt with -- but it was a bit of a shocker when I found out that animals too speak a different language.

For instance, dogs bark: HOW HOW (really, they actually sound like that).

And one time in the car, I nearly broke my neck I whipped around so fast when I heard my 3 yr old saying: FUK FUK

(It did cross my mind that she must have picked it up from the only English-speaking person she knew - namely, me!)

I interrogated her and then (because all she did was look at me saying FUK FUK) I asked my husband to help. He told me she was quacking like a duck.

A Polish duck.

(sheesh)
Steph

lastr

A Polish duck

:rofl

When I was stationed on Taiwan I found out that Chinese dogs say "Wang Wang" instead of Bow Wow or Bark Bark. Chinese Cats says "Meu" so it sounds like dogs and ducks are multi-lingual but cats might just force us all to use the same terms for them almost everywhere.

How is Poland BTW? I always wanted to go there but have never gotten any closer then Germany. They weren't offering positions there when I was on duty in Europe.

Stephanie

Yes, cats pretty much rule, don't they?

Poland is a real mix of tradition, inefficiency and corruption alongside intelligence, humor and helpfulness. The women are the backbone of this society, mothers and grandmothers doing double-duty work and childcare (as is the case in many disadvantaged or poor societies).

The favorite pet here is the dog. How how!

Steph
P.S. see my site for stories about Poland and expatriate issues